Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 8:03:35 PM EDT
There are so many different ones..........16.5lbs, 18lbs., and so on. What do these do differently than the others?  Are certain ones better for heavier or faster bullets??  Basically I want to know, so when I have to go and change them when the time is up, should I put in a different on other than my stock Kimber spring?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
16lbs is the stock spring. Most everyone will recommend an 18 - 181/2 lb spring replacement for shooting a steady diet of 230gr.  20lb is your gonna shoot a lot of +P.  Saves wear and tear on the frame.

I need to replace mine soon (reaching the 1,000 round mark). Would you recommend a 18 or 20lb for 185gr?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on if your 185gr is +P or not. Springs are only $8-10 each so you can easily change one out if one isn't working properly.

Wolff has the best selection of springs out there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Depends on if your 185gr is +P or not. Springs are only $8-10 each so you can easily change one out if one isn't working properly.

Wolff has the best selection of springs out there.

Nope, standard 185gr.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#6]
When changing a spring don't forget a shok-buff. A little price to pay for keeping your gun from getting battered up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, standard 185gr.

18 lb will do fine

Thank you sir. Will pick one up tommorrow.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What most IPSC shooters do is try several weights & go with the one that is most reliable & has softest "feeling" recoil. For most guns that's a 16lb spring.

You should avoid the tendency to go "heavier is better". And for a carry gun leave out the shok-buf. It can prevent releasing the slide by pulling back on it. Even worse, they can tear & cause a malf. IPSC people use 'bufs only during matches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top