Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 7:10:19 PM EDT
I have two older handguns.
The first  is a Helwan 9mm. Says made in Egypt
What is this thing and what is it worth?

Second one is a Victor Bernedo 765. The only other number on it is 801.
Any info?
Thanks!
James
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about the Bernado but www.southernohiogun.com/new_hand.html
is selling the Helwans. I'd have to dig through some old gun mags but I remember interarms imported the Helwan 9mm pistols back in the late 80's early 90's.

I think they were standard issues for some military force (greek or egyptian) back in the 80's. I believe but could be wrong, that the design was the predesessor(sp) to the beretta.

I'd love to buy one just for the heluvit.

That Bernado if it is a double stack mag 9mm, could be a Bernadelli(sp) one of the many wonder nines imported back in the 1980's. I bumped into one at a local gunshop on consignment for $500 recently.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The Helwan is a copy of a Berretta 951, I think.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The Helwan is a copy of the Beretta 951, made in Egypt.  We sold a few in the gun shop I worked at in the early nineties.  Junk, at least the ones back then were.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
The Helwan is a copy of the Beretta 951 Brigidiar.  Its a single action, 8 shot.  Made locally in Eygpt and Iraq.  Beretta then took the P38 double action with a 951 upper to come up with the 92.  Guns are quite reliable but the safety location leaves alot to be desired.  Work with the Eygptian SF back in 85 and they we're armed with them at the time.  Seen hundards captured here in Iraq with Iraqi manufactuering marks.  If I remember correctly they were mark "Tariq".  Tariq was also marked on a Beretta 70 copy in .32 ACP.  Middle Eastern guns are quite rough but have seen a very nice blued orginal Beretta once, very smooth action.  (Iraqis also chrome and gold plate them).

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top