Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 3:51:45 PM EDT
Didn't see that much on the Taurus forum, so am asking here. Spotted a Taurus PT92AF in +97% for $250 at the local funshop. I can handle the price, just curious what the groupthink is on these pistolas. It will be going in the trunk with the rest of the goodies that I carry with me. Am looking for something to hold down the fort in case the natives get restless if W wins another squeaker because my name isn't "Reginald Denny".

Do I pay or should I pass?

wganz

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had two of them... I miss them both.  That is a good price, and you should grab it.  Hey its got a lifetime warranty, and shoots like a champ.  

Get it... you wont regret it... if you dont like it send it to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If your main issue is price, go ahead and get it!  They are good guns, sure enough.

But, I dealt with this back in the spring... Beretta vs. Taurus.

If you want a Beretta, wait, save and get one.

However, if you want this gun, sure, pick it up.

and for Goodness sake...

STAY IN YOUR CAR!!!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Good gun and that's a good price.  Taurus factory mags are plentifully at gun shows and aren't too expensive. (at least in the Dallas area) Perfect for your BOB. Shoot it some it may surprise you.  My only complaint is after about 1500 rounds mine didn't care for a couple of mags worth of Cor-Bon +P's but the lifetime warranty took care of that in about three weeks. I'd go for it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one, blew it up with a severe overload. ( I tried to make IPSC major with a 160gr cast bullet)  Taurus replaced the top half for free 11 days from shipped to received.  Super easy to deal with on warranty issues.   Very reliable.   The only reason I dont have the PT99 (only difference is adjustable sights) is because I gave it to my sis.  Most reliable 9mm I ever had including the beretta.   Beretta mags can be made to work by widening the mag catch notch.   Very reliable and reasonably accurate.   If the price is right buy it, I would they're good shooters even if they're only a .....9mm....  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]

even if they're only a .....9mm....

OK gang! I'm going to slap green down on it in the AM.  The point of the 9mm v.s. Jeff Cooper's ideal of .40 diameter & 200 grains & 1000 fps has been beaten to death in better threads. As the song goes, "It'll get me through the night."

Thanks!!!

wganz

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

even if they're only a .....9mm....

OK gang! I'm going to slap green down on it in the AM.  The point of the 9mm v.s. Jeff Cooper's ideal of .40 diameter & 200 grains & 1000 fps has been beaten to death in better threads. As the song goes, "It'll get me through the night."

Thanks!!!

wganz

What's that??? I've been a pretty serious handgunner for about 12 years, and never heard of that!  Need input.

I've read lot's of Col. Coopers writings, he's a hardcore 1911 guy. 230, fmj, ~800 fps.

I know he was a supporter of the Bren 10, if that's what you are referring to.  But for that matter, he was big on the CZ-75 when it became available.  But I've seen interviews with him, and he openly criticizes anyone who thinks they need anything besides a mil-spec .45

Details, please.  Inquiring minds want to know!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
In my formative years teen years(circa 1967), I was an avid reader of Colonel Jeff Cooper in Guns & Ammo magazine. His column in the back of Guns & Ammo, he discussed his ideal pistol caliber while he was starting Thunder Ranch prior to his involvement with the Bren Ten development. {To me, Thunder Ranch is the equivalent of what the Moslems regard Mecca.} It was there that I read in his column that he wrote the specs of .40 diameter & 200 grains & 1000 fps as the minimum needed for the ideal defensive pistol round. I recall that he was very impressed with the CZ series with the slide in the frame as being a better design than the Colt frame/slide relationship. That is why the Bren Ten had the CZ slide style.

I have not read that particular interview you referenced and will defer to you that he did say that since I've also read in his columns the same sentiment about the 1911/.45ACP. His view point of what people need could be different from his ideal personal defense caliber that he was writing about in the late 1960's. After seeing several thousand people come through his facility and review probably, as a minimum, hundreds of results of having to use handguns in shooting situations; he may well have settled on that conclusion since the Bren Ten failed due to the magazine problems. In the late 60's and early 70's, was the advent of the Vunder9s with huge grips and hi-cap 9mm mags. He did diss these and the 9x19mm round in particular as being ineffective. He said that an adequately trained person can shoot a 1911a1 effectively and one .45 230gr FMJ was better than relying on multiple hits with a 9x19mm.

I see no real Kerryism{the new word for what was previously called waffling} in saying what your ideal pistol caliber would be v.s. what is the best caliber that people need.

Hopefully I've answered your questions.

Respectfully,

wganz

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had one, blew it up with a severe overload. ( I tried to make IPSC major with a 160gr cast bullet)  Taurus replaced the top half for free 11 days from shipped to received.  Super easy to deal with on warranty issues.   Very reliable.   The only reason I dont have the PT99 (only difference is adjustable sights) is because I gave it to my sis.  Most reliable 9mm I ever had including the beretta.   Beretta mags can be made to work by widening the mag catch notch.   Very reliable and reasonably accurate.   If the price is right buy it, I would they're good shooters even if they're only a .....9mm....  

My Dad blew one up multiple times doing research.  He was seeing if he could guage chamber pressure by measuring the spent casings.  He destroyed the locking lugs.  Each time he sent them a detailed letter with the pistol stating that he expected to have to pay as he had intentionally fed the pistol out of spec high pressure re-loads.  Each time the pistol was fixed, and no charges assesed.  Years later we noticed the slide was cracked, another trip to the factory and the entire slide/barrel assy was replaced at no charge.  Taurus stands behind their products and I appreciate that, probably time to buy another.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In my formative years teen years(circa 1967), I was an avid reader of Colonel Jeff Cooper in Guns & Ammo magazine. His column in the back of Guns & Ammo, he discussed his ideal pistol caliber while he was starting Thunder Ranch prior to his involvement with the Bren Ten development. {To me, Thunder Ranch is the equivalent of what the Moslems regard Mecca.} It was there that I read in his column that he wrote the specs of .40 diameter & 200 grains & 1000 fps as the minimum needed for the ideal defensive pistol round. I recall that he was very impressed with the CZ series with the slide in the frame as being a better design than the Colt frame/slide relationship. That is why the Bren Ten had the CZ slide style.

I have not read that particular interview you referenced and will defer to you that he did say that since I've also read in his columns the same sentiment about the 1911/.45ACP. His view point of what people need could be different from his ideal personal defense caliber that he was writing about in the late 1960's. After seeing several thousand people come through his facility and review probably, as a minimum, hundreds of results of having to use handguns in shooting situations; he may well have settled on that conclusion since the Bren Ten failed due to the magazine problems. In the late 60's and early 70's, was the advent of the Vunder9s with huge grips and hi-cap 9mm mags. He did diss these and the 9x19mm round in particular as being ineffective. He said that an adequately trained person can shoot a 1911a1 effectively and one .45 230gr FMJ was better than relying on multiple hits with a 9x19mm.

I see no real Kerryism{the new word for what was previously called waffling} in saying what your ideal pistol caliber would be v.s. what is the best caliber that people need.

Hopefully I've answered your questions.

Respectfully,

wganz

Thanks for the quick reply!  I won't pretend to have the amount of knowledge Cooper has in his trigger finger, much less the rest of him!  Thanks for the good info.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]
It will be $250 well spent.  You're fairly safe buying a used PT-92, as if there's anything wrong you can send it back and they'll fix it.  Their warranty is no BS and goes with the gun.  It doesn't matter who bought it, or who owns it now, it's still covered.

They're pretty darn good guns too.  Even cheapass aftermarket mags work in them.  For what you need, it sounds like the deal to me.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Didn't see that much on the Taurus forum...
wganz

Could it be because they took the money they saved and went shooting instead of playing on ARFCOM???  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top