Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 10:09:05 AM EDT
I'm looking into getting a revolver in one of these two calibers. i want something that makes a big boom for a fun range gun that may also serve as be hunting sidearm (could be used to take out the occasional hog). i have a P226 for serious range shooting, so really I just want something that will put a big grin on my face when i shoot it. i like the .357 because the ammo's cheaper and i can buy the gun locally, but the .44 seems like it might be more fun. what do ya'll think? the only revolvers i've shot was a .500 mag and a .454. i will get either a taurus or ruger.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:33:55 AM EDT
[#1]
.44 > .357 for hunting, definitely.  Remember, you can shoot .44 Special at the range to save some money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the 44.  My recomendation.  Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Its cheap at $399.99, but has great looks, functions well, and is built like a tank.

I love my 7.5 inch stainless.  I put Hogues on it for comfort and looks.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

is it SA? i'd like a DA. where'd you find it for $399?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is it SA? i'd like a DA.

Its single action. Once you use a SA a few times you can unload them and load them pretty quick.

My reasoning behind it is this.  If I am hunting, and 6 rounds of 44 is not enough that I need a quick re-load, then stop hunting. And tt the range, I am not going to shoot 300 rounds of 44 magnum.  Trust me you won't.  So since I am not shooting hundreds of rounds, why to I need to reaload really fast.

With my 357 (Ruger GP-100) I agree, I like double action better because its easier to reload.  But with the 44 I take my time with shooting it, so I don't care that I have to load/unload one round at a time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#5]
do you have to cock the hammer before you pull the trigger each time? i thought that's what defined an SA revolver. pardon my ignorance; i have very little experience with revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
do you have to cock the hammer before you pull the trigger each time? i thought that's what defined an SA revolver. pardon my ignorance; i have very little experience with revolvers.

Yes, for each round fired, you have to cock the hammer on a SA.

But, you get a super short trigger pull, and even the factory Ruger trigger pull on my SBH is pretty darn nice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Remember, you can shoot .44 Special at the range to save some money.

.44 Spl ammo is still really pricy compared to .38 Spl

How about a S&W 610 ? It fires both 10mm and .40S&W.
10mm for hunting (should do nicely on hogs) and satisfying recoil and .40 for cheap plinking.
Makes perfect sense if your Sig is a .40.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I think from your description you want a.44
Rugers are great. I have a couple single actions. Yes;single action means cock the hammer before you pull the trigger. Double action means you can pull the trigger and the trigger will cock the hammer and then drop it with one long pull .A double action revolver can also be cocked by hand to get a lighter shorter trigger pull.(single action mode)
Consider a S&W 629 (they are double action) sweet guns!  New=$600 ,Good used = $350+/-
44 factory ammo can be steep. 44 ammo is also about the best to learn reloading on,realy is quite simple once you learn some basic safety and the reason behind the "why and how".  Hardly any caliber will save you as much (reloads vs factory)and the basic  lead bullet reload will perform as good as factory.I happen to think the proper lead bullet is about the best hunting round in .44 mag.(this isn't always true in smaller calibers.To get top performance in a self defence or hunting load in .357 you need to reload a jacketed bullet and lead reloads are much more cost effective.
If you shop the sales at midway or natches you can get all the stuff you need to reload pistol for $150 and if you shop the bargin papers and tag sales you can do better.Sniff around your local gun clubs.most guys go from the basic single stage press (all you really need) to the faster sexier wizz bang machines and have some of the basic stuff laying around.The single stage stuff is a little slower and a pain to switch between different calibers but to get started on one caliber it is the way to go.
.44 mag reloads with store bought cast lead bullets will run you 8  to 15 cents a round for materials depending on the ammount of reloading components you buy at a time.For jacketed bullets add 5 to 10 cents (up to about 25 or 30 cents). Still beats factory
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the replies. i think i'll look into the .44 mag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess I'm in donkey mode but....

.44 magnum serves only two purposes....Either as a dedicated hunting gun or as compensation for having a small pecker. If you are going to hunt with it fine, otherwise save your money.

A S&W .357 on the other hand is a weapon that no "real" firearms collection is complete without
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Around here  you can find good used 6"  S&W 629's for $399 in just about every gunshop.  Guess they were all returned by the folks that wanted a "Dirty Harry" gun

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm goin to recommend the S&W 629 Classic with the 5" bbl.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Go .44 mag.

The ammo is pricey but it is well worth it.

Or the standard ARFCOM answer, GET BOTH

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd go .44 Mag because bigger is better.  A friend of mine has a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag and it is fun to shoot and quite manageable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
.44 Spl ammo is still really pricy compared to .38 Spl

Yeah, I took a glance at prices and there's really not a whole lot of difference between .44 mag and spl these days.  Well, at least you save on recoil!

How about a S&W 610 ? It fires both 10mm and .40S&W.
10mm for hunting (should do nicely on hogs) and satisfying recoil and .40 for cheap plinking.
Makes perfect sense if your Sig is a .40.

That's a helluva good suggestion!  DoubleTap's 220gr hard-cast would punch nice holes in a hog.  I might even pick up one of those myself since I already have to feed 10mm and .40 cal Glocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top