Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2002 5:36:41 PM EDT
Hey all, this is my first trip over to the handgun forum.
Got a question to bounce off of you all.
I bought an Uncle Mikes Sidekick Professional shoulder holster for my G19 in the horizontal configuration.
It seems to bulge out quite a bit in the front.
I am wondering if the vertical holster would hide better, but am concerned about getting a grip to draw.
Do these holsters hold up very well?
Welcome any thoughts pro or con as to horizontal or vertical shoulder holsters.
I normally carry my G19 in a Blade Tech IWB, but am looking to add another option to my carry methods.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lee
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are "printing" a lot (showing through clothes), even after adjusting the holster, you may want to consider another form of carry.  Body type and general build are factors that affect your ability to carry in a shoulder rig.

Shoulder holsters are notoriously difficult to draw from in an intense situation, and most make retention during a confrontation problematic, as the way the pistol is situated makes it easier for your opponent to reach it than for you.  Training and practice is highly recommended prior to wearing a shoulder rig.  Weapons retention is not something that should be considered lightly.

That being said, I also recommend Galco and DeSantis rigs, if you still prefer a shoulder rig.  I had what became known as a "Miami Classic" back when Galco was still called Jackass!  Though the price may be more than what you were originally considering to pay, the quality is lightyears beyond Uncle Mike's.  Uncle Mike's is an innovator in design and materials, but I would suggest that they are "entry-level" when it comes to carrying something that your life may depend on.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV).  Choose what YOU feel comfortable with, as the weapon you left at home because it wasn't comfortable to wear isn't going to be doing you much good, should you happen to need it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the thoughts guys.heI wanted to try an inexpensive rig first before I dropped $120+ for a good leather rig.
I understand the body type issue. I am pretty much Mr. average American in build without broad shoulders.
I had to try the shoulder rig as another option, especially for trips in a vehicle.
I get kind of tired of my Glock digging into my butt and I worry about how fast or inconspicouisly I could draw.
And yes I will practice until I am confortable with the draw from a shoulder rig before I go out in public!
My training and practice has all been from strong side on the hip so it wiil take some work.
By the way what do you think of the Mitch Rosen express line stuff?

Lee

Lee
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Rosen is good stuff.

If you are already used to going strong side, you might want to consider this little trick for drawing while seated in a vehicle:

If you are right-handed, take your left hand and insert it between your shoulder belt and your body in front of you.  Draw it down towards the buckle, and undo the buckle with your left hand while your right hand is drawing.  This gets the belt out of your way, and makes it easier for your to get two hands on your firearm without getting tangled up.

Please remember to either shoot OR drive away or through the problem(driving being preferable), and don't try to do both at the same time. Fine muscle control goes out the window when the crap hits the fan, and hitting a target from a moving vehicle with a pistol is problematic at best, with the possibility of hitting a bystander.

Good luck, and be safe.
Link Posted: 3/19/2002 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tip. Having to shoot someone is really not on my list of must do's in this lifetime and I consider it to be taken very seriously and as a last resort!
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't had to shoot anyone yet, but have been shot at and have had to draw down on a couple of people, thankfully all with good, safe, results.

NO ONE wants to take that pistol out of the holster unless it is a life-threatening situation.  If they do, they shouldn't be carrying one in the first place.

That being said, I've personally seen where having a pistol has saved lives, and has even kept the perp from being injured or killed.

CCW in all 50 states, or bust!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top