Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 11:10:05 PM EDT
I used to have a full size hk usp 40 but had to return it because it had a fracture in the slide.  However I really did enjoy shooting the gun.  

But now i'm buying something brand new.  I'm looking at either the HK .40 usp compact or the .45 Kimber TLE II.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I would gl with the TLE.  I perfer the .45 over the .40.  Also The 1911 fits my hands better.  I perfver the single action trigger pull as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Apples and oranges, my man.

I personally only use the 1911 style only in .45 or 38super format. The shorter cartridges of the 9mm and .40 require a bastardized magazine and basically needed to be fine tuned a lot more in 1911 than the .45 or 38super(9x23, as well).

I have USPs in .40, and Glock 9mm. Generally carry 1911 .45, though.

Variety is the spice of life.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Go HK. After they finish building their factory in Geogia, the will start making HK pistols (or at least assembling on German made frames like Sig does now) here in the US. That invariably means quality control will go down like Sigs did. Still excellent weapons, but the German made ones are always a notch better. Get a German made HK before they stop importing them and make them here.

I have two Sigs, one made entirely in Germany(P220) and one with a German made frame and the balance of the parts made the US(P239). The German made Sig has noticeably better fit and finish. Not that the US made made P239 isn't an excellent pistol, accurate and reliable, but the German made one is perrrfect..
That and the US does not require "proof houses" to test all firearms like Germany does.

I went and and bought a brand new German made HK USP9 SD for this reason.

You will be able to buy a Kimber anytime.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Go HK... absolutely cannot be beat for out of the box reliability.  Thats not to say that the Kimber wont serve you well... but if you KNOW you like the HK, stick with what you know.  

Also gotta love that HK Lifetime warranty!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
HK....I did, and im not looking back.

Its always nice to have a 1911....but for something you may stake your life on, out of the box, the HK is where its at. Im willing to pay the little extra for a LIFETIME of warranty work. Some horror stories there, but also some very positive outcomes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used to have a full size hk usp 40 but had to return it because it had a fracture in the slide.  However I really did enjoy shooting the gun.  

But now i'm buying something brand new.  I'm looking at either the HK .40 usp compact or the .45 Kimber TLE II.

Thoughts?

Yes. KIMBER.

Kimbers are good to go directly from the box, and can be significantly upgraded by a number of good smiths out there. Magazines are plentiful and relatively cheap (they work pretty good with metalforms from what I hear) and there are a ton of grip variations to be had.

The Kimber will probably make you much happier than the HK will.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i have personally converted 3 HARD CORE hk owners to kimbers over the last few years. One believed HK was a gift from the good lord himself. He sold his hk for a kimber the day after he shot my gold match.

mike

Heresy! Are you saying HK is not A gift from the good lord himself?! Blasphemy! Burn him at the the stake! Rack him until he repents!

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i have personally converted 3 HARD CORE hk owners to kimbers over the last few years. One believed HK was a gift from the good lord himself. He sold his hk for a kimber the day after he shot my gold match.

mike

You speak Blasphemy! hock.gif  I fart in your general direction.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Get both.  As one who has a Kimber Gold Match and a pair of USPs...  One in 9mm and one in 45.  They are both great guns.  Interestingly enough, recently I've been grouping much better with my HK's and a Colt 1991 that I've been slowly customizing than the Kimber.   The Kimber was more than 300 dollars more than the other two... and easily has the best trigger of the four.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, I have used 1911s and HKs, and I prefer the HK for "social purposes".
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you carry your HK cocked-and-locked?

If so, then it won't be as big a change to go to a 1911 as it would be if you're most comfortable with a double action first pull, safety on or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top