Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2010 11:24:58 AM EDT
Anyone have any ideas on my first handgun? I've used my friends' glock and it feels great. He also said that it is an investment and guns constantly go up in value. Is that correct?

Thanks a bunch
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#1]
first handgun: try a bunch (test fire) and see which one YOU like

that said, cant go wrong w/a glock if you like it (esp if its 9mm)

imo, most firearms, unless some super custom/never used safe queen, rarely go up...usually,they go down in value (slightly, depending on use, etc)...its like a used car to an extent: as soon as it leaves the store, deduct 25% of its value
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock, simple, affordable, reliable, if 9mm then cheap ammo too. Easy to get holsters sights and other accessories.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If you like your friends glock, by all means buy one. Its a quality handgun that will serve you well. It is not however an investment. Glocks are one of the most common service style handguns in America, they are in no way rare or anything else that goes into something being ' collectable '. For instance, around here if you buy a new glock, say a G22 for $550, and shoot it for a couple years and decide to get rid of it. There are places on the net that sell police trade in G22 pistols for around $300 or so, why would the one you bought new be worth a lot more than that?

If you have the inclination for a true collectable hangun, and the coin to spend, I would look at a high end 1911, something along the lines of a Les Bear or Wilson Combat. From what I understand they hold value pretty well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi Power
or
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hi Power
or

LOL
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd find a smarter friend first.

Seeing you live in Kommiefornia I was going to recommend looking at H&K, Hecler & Koch(pronounced "Coke"), but remembered you can only have "approved" guns and going with Glock will be the easiest solution or spend more time and money getting an HK.

Glocks are a penny a dozen.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone have any ideas on my first handgun? I've used my friends' glock and it feels great. He also said that it is an investment and guns constantly go up in value. Is that correct?

Thanks a bunch

Glock 19.

Certain guns are investments, but typically not defensive handguns.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
SW MP
Glock

in that order
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi Power
or

LOL

You like that seems to fit the bill...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a glock 19. Shoot it a bunch. Great starter, defense handgun.

As time goes by you will try other guns. But glock in 9mm is good to start on.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock 19 is a great gun to start with.

As far as your value question.  Most of the good guns you should start with may hold thier value ok, but shouldn't go up.   Glock makes a bazillion guns every year.  They aren't rare enough to go up in value.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Glock 19 is a solid gun to start with.  Keep that booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to fire and it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#14]
99% of firearms are poor investments. For example a new Glock will go down in value as you walk out the door from the store. However I bought a S&W 19 new in 91 for $315. I can't find a clean used one for under $400 now. Not much of a return but no loss.

I would suggest you shoot a lot of different handguns before buying one unless you are made of money. I also strongly suggest you consider a quality .22 They are mostly less costly and tons cheaper to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing but the super rare (of anything) go up in value. The only "investing" you need to be worried about with guns is in your safety and just good plain fun!

Id say if you like the glock that much knock yourself out and go buy one. They are great pistols from what ive heard, just arent my bag.
If your not completley sold or want other opinions, go and rent or hold others. Id personally reccomend a store that has a specialty in firearms, not just a "firearms counter".

And what are you wanting to do with this first pistol? General plinking? Home defense? Concealed carry?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:52:10 AM EDT
[#16]
one thing to consider, and where i went wrong with my first handgun, is the truism that "you get what you pay for."

better to save up a little longer and get a good or great gun than get a crappy or less than stellar gun right now...

and as others have said, go to a range and try out a bunch of different guns...
there are plenty of places in CA that have indoor ranges with a good selection of toys to choose from...
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:47:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree with the previous posts regarding testing the gun prior to purchasing.  The one downside to that process is the cost.  After the gun rental costs, the range ammo costs, etc. you can easily drop $100+ just testing a few handguns.

One way to lower that cost is to find a shooting group in your area and go to a "range day" to test out guns there.  I shoot with a group here in Dallas and nearly everyone will let you test fire their guns - so long as you supply the ammo, or kick in a few bucks.  It is a much cheaper way to test multiple guns in a single day, and you are able to get honest feedback from the owner as to how they like the gun.  Most everyone in the group just wants to help and educate potential gun owners (like this site).

I found my group through meetup.com - there may be one in your area, or one affiliated with a local range.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#18]
guns or glocks being good investment is questionable.  Guns have UTILITY that is their strength over $$$.    If you want an "investment" you should do more homework to figure out what "investments" are.  also, whats one of the rules of investing?  dont play if you cant afford to loose!

If you like the glock then buy the glock.  if you dont know what you want, they try as many as you can.  FInd a rental range or beg/borrow/steal as many guns as you can try then go from there.  

dont be in a hurry to buy a gun especially if you dont know or arent sure.  you could loose $$$ with buyers remorse.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#19]
How much are you looking to spend and what will the primary purpose of the handgun be ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top