Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 2:07:43 PM EDT
Damn, I'm getting fed up with this gun.

Just put 50 rounds through it after getting it back from the gunsmith for the THIRD time and it still doesn't work.

It won't extract properly. About one in every six empties will hang halfway out of the chamber and the slide will lock open. I haved tried 5 mags of 4 different types and the pistol behaves the same with all of them. 6 people have fired it, all with the same results. First, I polished the chamber and feed ramp. I had the extracor recut, and tuned, then had a C&S extractor and extracor spring installed. The last time I had the ejector cut down, fitted, and recontoured, and it still FTEs.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with it, but it makes me appreciate my GLOCK even more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Damn, I'm getting fed up with this gun.

Just put 50 rounds through it after getting it back from the gunsmith for the THIRD time and it still doesn't work.

It won't extract properly. About one in every six empties will hang halfway out of the chamber and the slide will lock open. I haved tried 5 mags of 4 different types and the pistol behaves the same with all of them. 6 people have fired it, all with the same results. First, I polished the chamber and feed ramp. I had the extracor recut, and tuned, then had a C&S extractor and extracor spring installed. The last time I had the ejector cut down, fitted, and recontoured, and it still FTEs.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with it, but it makes me appreciate my GLOCK even more.

FN, FM, or FEG?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
FEG

I had an FN, and gave it to my girlfriend.

Missed it, so I bought an FEG that worked great.

Sold it, missed having a HiPower again, bought an identical FEG, and it won't work for shit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
FEG

Sold it, missed having a HiPower again, bought an identical FEG, and it won't work for shit.

I think I found the problem......

Sell it, get a Browning/FN MKIII.

I had a FEG once, it wouldn't run, so I sold it. Life's too short to throw good money after bad. OTOH, I know some folks have had great luck with them; I guess QC is just sloppy. Their finish is awful pretty, though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FEG

I think I found the problem......

Sell it, get a Browning/FN MKIII.

I had a FEG once, it wouldn't run, so I sold it. Life's too short to throw good money after bad. OTOH, I know some folks have had great luck with them; I guess QC is just sloppy. Their finish is awful pretty, though.

Actually this one has a much better finish than my girl's FN. It is a deep lustrous blue with walnut grips. Everyone that sees it comments on how nice looking it is. I have seen some of the FEG that look like a cross between the HiPower and a CZ that look like they have been spray painted.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]
GET A BROWNING OR FN ONLY!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I know, I should get another real HiPower if I want one as a "serious" pistol. I am really not a cheap-ass.

The FN I gave my girlfriend. was schweet.  NP3 and Rogard two-tone done by Robar, extra thin cocobolo grips, Cylinder and Slide trigger, hammer, and ambi-safety. It was the nicest piece I had. I shot is some at the range, but I never carried it. My girl needed something for home defense and the slim HiPower frame fit her hands perfectly. Long story short, she's got a really nice gun. (With a pistol like that, I can't figure out why she would want an engagement ring.)

I bought the FEG strictly as a range toy, as it looked good, felt good and was cheap. With the parts and smithing I still have less than $300 in it. Although I wouldn't rely on it as a defensive gun, I would like it to function properly most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know, I should get another real HiPower if I want one as a "serious" pistol. I am really not a cheap-ass.

The FN I gave my girlfriend. was schweet.  NP3 and Rogard two-tone done by Robar, extra thin cocobolo grips, Cylinder and Slide trigger, hammer, and ambi-safety. It was the nicest piece I had. I shot is some at the range, but I never carried it. My girl needed something for home defense and the slim HiPower frame fit her hands perfectly. Long story short, she's got a really nice gun. (With a pistol like that, I can't figure out why she would want an engagement ring.)

I bought the FEG strictly as a range toy, as it looked good, felt good and was cheap. With the parts and smithing I still have less than $300 in it. Although I wouldn't rely on it as a defensive gun, I would like it to function properly most of the time.

Sell it. Buy a browning.

MKIII's run like champs out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I went through the exact same thing with my FEG... here's what helped.

1.  Polish the chamber with a Dremel.  They make a felt polishing thingie that's about the size of a 9mm slug, and works great for the job.

2.  Remove the extractor, and make sure that the extractor spring isn't broken.  Mine broke after about 500 rounds.

3.  ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE CHEAP MAGS!  Even after the above, I was still getting about 1 or 2 failures to extract per mag.  I was using Promags, as well as the 13 rounder that came with the gun.  Switching to an Inglis mag resolved all remaining issues instantly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sell it. Buy a browning.
MKIII's run like champs out of the box.

If I was going to spend that much on another pistol I would buy something I would use more.

I got the FEG as a tinker toy. There are too many other pistols that would serve a purpose better than a HiPower. I like the feel and the classic looks of the P-35, but it is too long and heavy for a concealment piece. The original blued FN I had refinished by Robar would also rust like hell from carrying it for a day.

To me its like a Garand, cool but not something for which I have a practical need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Double post
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I went through the exact same thing with my FEG... here's what helped.

1.  Polish the chamber with a Dremel.  They make a felt polishing thingie that's about the size of a 9mm slug, and works great for the job.check

2.  Remove the extractor, and make sure that the extractor spring isn't broken.  Mine broke after about 500 rounds.check, extractor and spring replaced

3.  ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE CHEAP MAGS!  Even after the above, I was still getting about 1 or 2 failures to extract per mag.  I was using Promags, as well as the 13 rounder that came with the gun.  Switching to an Inglis mag resolved all remaining issues instantly. I have tried a 10 round Browning mag, 2-FEG mags, a Argentine mag, and a Bulgarian Arcus mag.

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can find borrow some other mags to try in it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Darn... guess I should read posts more thoroughly!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I hate to say it but you get what you pay for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top