Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2004 7:00:44 AM EDT
I have a few AR-15's and I love them, you can never just own one, hehehe, But anyway, I was thinking about buying a handgun for self defense, I was looking at the FN 5.7x28mm, I am wondering, does it really have enough knock down power to be a " Defense Gun" , I really like the looks of the gun, and I like the fact you can take it down with out any tools, just like the AR's, but at the same time I want something I can trust my life with, so for all of you that have some advice for me it would be greatly appreciated. It's either a hand gun or an AK-47 when the ban sunsets..... well I probably will get both thank you
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If youre looking for knockdown power, get a 10mm or .45, the 5.7x28 will deliver a minute amount of energy into its target.  Will it reach the goodies on the inside of the bad guy-yes.  Will he be knocked on his ass-no.  I would prefer a larger caliber handgun over the 5.7x28 any day for self defense, although the 5.7 is always easily accessable in my house in case I would need it.  If you want a good knockdown gun, something dead reliable, with high cap mags, then you should either consider a Glock 20, Glock 21, H&K USP (.45ACP), or a Para Ordinance 14.45 or 12.45.  If you find that the larger calibers are harder to control for you, then look to a .40 cal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
as stated above, 5.7mm was designed for one thing - to pierce body armor. it does that very well.
not really very good for soft targets, better off with 9mm,.40 or .45 for that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
a buddy was in love with that round.  then he did a bit of research.

poodle shooter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I really really really just dont get the fascination with this round....

You might as well carry a .22 unless you have an incredibly high chance of coming in contact with numerous aggressors wearing body armor.

For me its the platform more than the round, even though I bought it for the round.   I think FN should put some money into developing a .45 based on this guns design.  Not many .22 mags out there that have the capability of holding 20 rounds at a time either, I think the hi cap ability is another big seller.  There are handguns that shoot .22 LR with up to 100 round mags (calico) but it would take a .22 mag to match this round at best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top