Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2010 8:57:56 AM EDT
Buying your wife, girlfriend, SO a gun.  We all know that we should let them pick it out themselves (but what if they settle on a hi-point )....

So who here has bought their wife a gun and how did it go over?  Does she like it?  Or did she switch to something else?

For the record I'm thinking about picking up a Ruger LCR .38 for my wife.  Convince me otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#1]
do yourself and wallet a favor, take her with you! i bought my wife a pistol for her getting a ccw. she fired it about 20rds and there it sat. i sold it and let her pick one out. she now loves her s&w mod36. wish we would have started there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For the record I'm thinking about picking up a Ruger LCR .38 for my wife.  Convince me otherwise.

For what purpose?  Does she CCW?  If she doesn't, there's 87 other revolvers that probably would work better for a range or nightstand gun.

I built my wife a pink AR-15 (M16A4 style).  I already knew she liked ARs, so it was just a question of finding one with the features appropriate for her (pink, minimal recoil via rifle-length gas system, flat top for optics, etc.).

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
First post and all that.
Not exactly the same thing but my wife is a nurse and she was really talking about these shoes that a few people had. Well me being the guy that I am, decided to buy them for her as a graduation present. Come to find out they were more of a "those are cool but id never wear them" kind of thing so back they went for something totally different.

Unless your SO says "I want that, in that color in that size" in those exact words...its a crap shoot.

They may also find out after handling it that its not what they thought it was. I dont like to sell/swap firearms so thats how id approach it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what purpose?  Does she CCW?  If she doesn't, there's 87 other revolvers that probably would work better for a range or nightstand gun.

I built my wife a pink AR-15 (M16A4 style).  I already knew she liked ARs, so it was just a question of finding one with the features appropriate for her (pink, minimal recoil via rifle-length gas system, flat top for optics, etc.).

Yes she CCW's (well she has a CHP) but doesn't carry.  The intention is for a purse gun for her.  Something to carry often and shoot rarely.  She likes to shoot the Ruger MKII but that's not adequate for CCW.  Doesn't like semi-autos.  The only other revolver I have is a Ruger GP100 4" and that's too heavy for her.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
She likes to shoot the MKII but she doesnt like semi auto's? Are you sure its the action and not the tough spring on most compact slides?

I really messed up the last 3 fingers (2 cut off, one held on by just skin) on my left hand (slide working hand) a year and a half ago. My strengh is improving but nothing like it used to be. To give you some perspective...after I came out of the cast and was allowed to use my hand again after nearly 4 months I didnt even have the strength to grasp an EMPTY drinking glass. It took a long time before I could actually carry a full glass comfortably. This turned me off to alot of CC pistols because the slide was just too hard to work. I have done more exercises and now its not such a big deal (still hard but not overly so) and I ended up with a striker fired compact with a pretty stiff spring.

If thats the case, a sa/da exposed hammer semi auto would probably be easier.

How does she handle DA trigger pull?

Depending on the size of her purse, she could carry a full size semi auto  which would allow her to shoot more accurately (or at least have the potential to), hold upwards of 17 rounds, and absorb alot of the recoil. They also tend to require less effort to work the slide. Men are at a disadvantage in that we often have to comprimise how we dress for what we carry and vice versa. If I were a woman carrying a purse id get the biggest gun I could fit in there.

Even if what she got was a 10 shot....thats 2x the payload that the LCR has. And most compacts can carry 10 now. Most full size are capable of 15+ rounds. Now shes looking at 3x the payload of a revolver with another 3x just a magazine change on the way. 30 rounds vs 10 with a reload? Its a no brainer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
She likes to shoot the MKII but she doesnt like semi auto's? Are you sure its the action and not the tough spring on most compact slides?
I really messed up the last 3 fingers (2 cut off, one held on by just skin) on my left hand (slide working hand) a year and a half ago. My strengh is improving but nothing like it used to be. To give you some perspective...after I came out of the cast and was allowed to use my hand again after nearly 4 months I didnt even have the strength to grasp an EMPTY drinking glass. It took a long time before I could actually carry a full glass comfortably. This turned me off to alot of CC pistols because the slide was just too hard to work. I have done more exercises and now its not such a big deal (still hard but not overly so) and I ended up with a striker fired compact with a pretty stiff spring.

Depending on the size of her purse, she could carry a full size semi auto  which would allow her to shoot more accurately (or at least have the potential to), hold upwards of 17 rounds, and absorb alot of the recoil. They also tend to require less effort to work the slide. Men are at a disadvantage in that we often have to comprimise how we dress for what we carry and vice versa. If I were a woman carrying a purse id get the biggest gun I could fit in there.

It's definately the stiff slide spring.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem solved, have her try a full sized DA/SA with an exposed hammer and the spring level will be cut in half if not by a third.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
G19 for my wife.
She loves it and wants a G34 now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
G19 for my wife.
She loves it and wants a G34 now.

Wife likes my G19 with the AA kit on top but doesn't like the 9mm slide on it.  Too hard to pull back.  She really likes how light it is with the AA kit on it.  Much lighter than my stainless 5.5" bull barrel MKII.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
do yourself and wallet a favor, take her with you! i bought my wife a pistol for her getting a ccw. she fired it about 20rds and there it sat. i sold it and let her pick one out. she now loves her s&w mod36. wish we would have started there.

First post...  Yep!!  Yep!!

I was lucky, she had already picked one out.  I just made it happen.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Problem solved, have her try a full sized DA/SA with an exposed hammer and the spring level will be cut in half if not by a third.

The only pistol I have that fits the bill is a USP45 which I'm sure she won't like because of the size.  Maybe I'll have to do the smart thing (not the fun thing) and just take her to the indoor range and let her try a bunch out.  Not as much fun in that though...
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I did buy my girlfriend a Walther P22 for her birthday to practice with and to be able to shoot without spending too much. I am helping her with her gun purchase but am staying away from picking a gun for her otherwise. Luckily she's smart enough to love the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
So who here has bought their wife a gun and how did it go over?  Does she like it?  Or did she switch to something else?

I did, but I did it the right way.

"Which gun do you want for home defense?"
"A baby Glock."

I had her try out the 26 and 19 and she preferred the 19.  Win.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Years ago I bought my mom an S&W Lady Smith 38 for Christmas,she has carried it for years.Does that count ?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes she CCW's (well she has a CHP) but doesn't carry.  The intention is for a purse gun for her.  Something to carry often and shoot rarely.  She likes to shoot the Ruger MKII but that's not adequate for CCW.  Doesn't like semi-autos.  The only other revolver I have is a Ruger GP100 4" and that's too heavy for her.

You might want to reconsider purse carry.

As for the LCR, it has a somewhat distinct trigger pull.  She might not like it.

Why doesn't she like semi-autos?  

Spend some time at the above link, it is THE source for women and guns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife likes wheel guns and single action pistols.  If I buy her something I won't get in trouble (as long as it's a revolver or 1911), but odds are she will keep carrying her damn Taurus snub.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't CCW here so that was a non issue.  I picked her a nice Colt King Cobra 4" barrel for HD.  Good heft and easy to use.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
do yourself and wallet a favor, take her with you! i bought my wife a pistol for her getting a ccw.

This. I bought my wife a......Bersa T380. She loved it. I hated it. So I bought her:
1. Ruger SP101 - couldn't pull the trigger
2. Springfield XD-9 - hated it
3. Glock 19 - She hated it. I kept it.
4. S&W 386NG - She is not thrilled about it but is what she has now for HD. No CCW anymore. She thinks the world is all flowers and sunshine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
As far as her having issues working the slide: Rack The Slide

My mother barely has any upper arm strength, and she can rack her Glock 19 no problem AFTER I showed her the proper technique. Prior to that, she could hardly pull back a slide on any pistol.

/hijack

I originally took my wife (then GF) to the gun shop to buy her first pistol, and she chose a CZ-75B SC.

Then she shot her Dad's Beretta 92FS, and really liked that......... so I bought her a Beretta 92G & ditched her CZ.

Then I converted totally to Glock, and convinced her to also. So I was able to trade her 92G for a Glock 34.

Now she has a Glock 34 that she loves. I could only buy her the G34 because it was the "least ugly Glock".

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Buying your wife, girlfriend, SO a gun.  We all know that we should let them pick it out themselves (but what if they settle on a hi-point )....

My ex picked a Judge.......... I just shook my head and walked out the gun shop to her asking WHAT? WHAT?

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#21]
My ex-wife used a S/W 908s for duty carry. My new wife likes Berettas, so I bought her a Beretta Centurion, she loves it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm in the great situation of her only wanting something "pretty". I wanted her to try out an M&P9 and M&P9c (I want to get one or two of each eventually anyways), only to be told that they're ugly.

She doesn't like Glocks. Apparently, they feel weird in her hand...I think. She's shot my G17, but she won't tell me exactly why she doesn't like it, she'll just answer with "why do you want to push me towards the Glock so much?"

Worst of all, her favorite color is green, so she wants something green, not black. I had her try out my XD40 Tactical OD, but she was limpwristing the hell out of it, even after some instruction on how to get a better hold on it. I was surfing the 1911 forum one night and she saw an MC Operator on the screen. She told me "I want one of those, so now you can stop bugging me about which gun I want". I thought it was cool until I realized that we don't have an extra $950 laying around right now. She's got her license to carry, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. She only wants to purse carry, doesn't want to carry with a loaded chamber, we won't be able to afford an MC Operator for months, maybe over a year, and she doesn't want to go shoot. Kinda frustrating.

So, No, I haven't bought her anything, but I really wish she'd open her ears to what I have to say. Most of my opinions are taken as me overthinking things, or preparing for a war. Ah well, I knew she was stubborn when I married her

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm in the great situation of her only wanting something "pretty". I wanted her to try out an M&P9 and M&P9c (I want to get one or two of each eventually anyways), only to be told that they're ugly.

She doesn't like Glocks. Apparently, they feel weird in her hand...I think. She's shot my G17, but she won't tell me exactly why she doesn't like it, she'll just answer with "why do you want to push me towards the Glock so much?"

Worst of all, her favorite color is green, so she wants something green, not black. I had her try out my XD40 Tactical OD, but she was limpwristing the hell out of it, even after some instruction on how to get a better hold on it. I was surfing the 1911 forum one night and she saw an MC Operator on the screen. She told me "I want one of those, so now you can stop bugging me about which gun I want". I thought it was cool until I realized that we don't have an extra $950 laying around right now. She's got her license to carry, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. She only wants to purse carry, doesn't want to carry with a loaded chamber, we won't be able to afford an MC Operator for months, maybe over a year, and she doesn't want to go shoot. Kinda frustrating.

So, No, I haven't bought her anything, but I really wish she'd open her ears to what I have to say. Most of my opinions are taken as me overthinking things, or preparing for a war. Ah well, I knew she was stubborn when I married her

Buy her some green labeled pepper spray

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Female friend (not GF or wife), S&W M&P9c and yes
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dont take this the wrong way, but the both of you might seriously reconsider the thought of her carrying.

- she is more concerned with how pretty the gun is
- she does not want to go shoot, even if that means she will learn to shoot correctly (not limp wrist)
- its either a $1000 gun (that you cant afford) or nothing
- she does not seem to take any part of the situation seriously

It sounds to me like shes only going along with it because your into it or youve helped her to get into it. When I read what you just wrote one message rang out loud and clear: She does not care.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont take this the wrong way, but the both of you might seriously reconsider the thought of her carrying.

- she does not want to go shoot, even if that means she will learn to shoot correctly (not limp wrist)

It sounds to me like shes only going along with it because your into it or youve helped her to get into it. When I read what you just wrote one message rang out loud and clear: She does not care.

I have a feeling she knows you can't afford that gun for some time and by sticking with the "that or nothing" crap she has a way to avoid the issue for quite some time. I guaran-damn-tee that if you get it for her something about it will be wrong, or the green won't match her eyes, or it will be too heavy or some other excuse. A person with a gun unwilling to use it or learn to use it is jworse than not having one.

Daniel
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a feeling she knows you can't afford that gun for some time and by sticking with the "that or nothing" crap she has a way to avoid the issue for quite some time. I guaran-damn-tee that if you get it for her something about it will be wrong, or the green won't match her eyes, or it will be too heavy or some other excuse. A person with a gun unwilling to use it or learn to use it is jworse than not having one.

Daniel

+1000

Before I'd do anything about buying a handgun for this woman, I'd get her some real  serious training.

If she can  complete that,   I'd still be very wary about providing her with a handgun.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, none of that is a surprise. Especially the last part. I've pretty much given up on trying to get her to carry. She's tired of me talking about it and is interested in anything but carrying at this point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

why not take her browsing at a gun show
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

why not take her browsing at a gun show

Rule #2 about gun collecting is that we never invite our wives to gun shows or they'll catch on that we don't just 'show' each other our guns but we buy them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, none of that is a surprise. Especially the last part. I've pretty much given up on trying to get her to carry. She's tired of me talking about it and is interested in anything but carrying at this point.

Let me give a different angle on this. It isn't about carrying, its about you. Meaning, her train of thought is " Why should I carry a gun, I have Wizzo and his gun to protect me!" Anything that dosen't fit into that fantasy cloak of shining knight safety gets dismissed in her mind. I would totally and completely drop the talk of guns, and bombard her with the reality of chicks by themselves getting fucked up. Watch movies about unarmed women getting fucked up, watch tv shows about it, leave articles laying around or up on the PC screen of women being murdered, etc. She will not conform to your will until you have broken down her idea that you can always protect her, and provide a solid reason WHY she has to be prepared to protect herself. Oh yeah, and absolutly don't mention "should have had a gun" in any discussions about these women alone getting sliced and diced, let her draw that connection on her own. And when she dismisses the event as incapable of happening to her because you are there to protect her, remind her that isnt always the case, then mention seperate times that she was by herself with you nowhere around. Instances overnight are the best. I guarantee that within a month, she will be packing heat.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought my wife a Sig P228 for the house.  I didn't care if she carried it or not I just wanted her to have something in the house to protect her when I was gone .  She showed zero interest in shooting it or anything else at all so I shot it at the range one day & then sold it because all of my handguns are .45acp.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
bought wifey a beretta tomcat, ruger LCR, and remington 870 20ga. youth - all without her input. she loves all 3.
bought older daughter a walther ppk and a ruger LCR; she loves them too!
bought younger daughter a SW 64. likes it a lot.

both girls want AR15-M4's for graduation presents (in the near future..)

all 3 are good shots, too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me give a different angle on this. It isn't about carrying, its about you. Meaning, her train of thought is " Why should I carry a gun, I have Wizzo and his gun to protect me!" Anything that dosen't fit into that fantasy cloak of shining knight safety gets dismissed in her mind. I would totally and completely drop the talk of guns, and bombard her with the reality of chicks by themselves getting fucked up. Watch movies about unarmed women getting fucked up, watch tv shows about it, leave articles laying around or up on the PC screen of women being murdered, etc. She will not conform to your will until you have broken down her idea that you can always protect her, and provide a solid reason WHY she has to be prepared to protect herself. Oh yeah, and absolutly don't mention "should have had a gun" in any discussions about these women alone getting sliced and diced, let her draw that connection on her own. And when she dismisses the event as incapable of happening to her because you are there to protect her, remind her that isnt always the case, then mention seperate times that she was by herself with you nowhere around. Instances overnight are the best. I guarantee that within a month, she will be packing heat.

It's cruel, but it works. My wife did that to herself though. I was out of town on a business trip, she watched the CNN special about the home invasion, rape and murder of the daughters and wife of that doctor, and next text message from her was rather insistent she check her zero at the range after months of not shooting.

I'll get her over trusting a babysitter soon enough, she can get her CHP course done, and her gun of choice (from the choices in the safe) is a CZ-series or a EAA Witness. If it's the same ergos as that, she'll be happy, so when she gets the permit, she'll get a compact and the matter will be settled. So OP, the answer is "depends" - if your wife has taken one of your pistols as "hers" then by all means get her or yourself another as a replacement.

Otherwise: Like others mentioned, my wife also dislikes a Glock 19 less than a Glock 26 by a long shot. In fact, she really hated the 26 we rented. She'll check out other stuff at the range for a bit, mumbling about an open mind or some such thing, shrug, and retrieve "her" AR-24 (that's a Witness clone) from the range bag, and practice double-taps and reload drills.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#35]
IMO, split the difference between getting it for her, and whatever she wants.

Let her "get whatever she wants" but from a selection of decent brands that are reputable, and in an effective caliber. And maybe an additional stipulation such as no "impractical combinations" like a .357 snub-nose (OTOH, it can be downloaded with .38 and .38 +p shrug...)

The more invested she is in her choice, the more likely she's going to want to use it, trust it, and practice with it.

Since you can't try tons of firearms right at the counter, and shoot them without renting tons of them from a range, encourage her to see what feels good in her hands, and has controls she can work and reach. Slide too heavy, DA revolver trigger pull too hard? Safety inaccessible? Grip too narrow, or to large?

If all the ergonomic factors line up for her, recoil from any particular service caliber should be tolerable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife is a southpaw.  I'm pretty left hand retarded, thus have no idea what would be the right fit.  I took her with and let her handle every gun in three gun stores.  Her fingers were all black and her left thumb developed a blister from messing with all of the slide releases.  It took a few hours, but she is very pleased with her M&P9.

ETA.  After reading some of the posts here, I feel pretty lucky.  My wife and I just went to a friends house on Sunday for a steel shoot.  She had never been to one before, and is fairly new to the handgun scene all together.  She did great for a first timer.  Shooting under the stress of time and strangers can get to a lot of people, but she handled it well, and took advice of myself and a couple other shooters looking to help her improve.  And improve she did!  In the course of about 2 hours and 150 rounds, she was cutting her time in half, and had a great time.  She has already completed the required CCW class for MN, and once she is even more comfortable with her own weapon I have no doubt she will conclude on her own to carry.  I'll stop bragging now.  I guess I'm just a proud husband.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My wife is a southpaw.  I'm pretty left hand retarded, thus have no idea what would be the right fit.  I took her with and let her handle every gun in three gun stores.  Her fingers were all black and her left thumb developed a blister from messing with all of the slide releases.  It took a few hours, but she is very pleased with her M&P9.

ETA.  After reading some of the posts here, I feel pretty lucky.  My wife and I just went to a friends house on Sunday for a steel shoot.  She had never been to one before, and is fairly new to the handgun scene all together.  She did great for a first timer.  Shooting under the stress of time and strangers can get to a lot of people, but she handled it well, and took advice of myself and a couple other shooters looking to help her improve.  And improve she did!  In the course of about 2 hours and 150 rounds, she was cutting her time in half, and had a great time.  She has already completed the required CCW class for MN, and once she is even more comfortable with her own weapon I have no doubt she will conclude on her own to carry.  I'll stop bragging now.  I guess I'm just a proud husband.

Be proud - it's a great AAR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#38]
glock over any xd any day of the week
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Bought my fiance A Ruger LCP and a Kel-tec P3AT in 380. She hated both of them and decided on my SIG P-232 and my SA EMP in 9mm ! She carries both on a regular basis ! Gotta love the girl !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top