Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2004 5:29:38 PM EDT

I was doing some pricing today and noticed that the Springfeild Loaded  and the Kimber TLE are about the same price. Does anyone have experience with both guns? I've shot the TLE before but not the Loaded, which one is more accurate? Which is the best made and best value?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the Kimber. SA makes good guns, but they also never met an edge they didn't like.
I have a Kimber Stainless, never had a problem with it. I had an SA loaded a couple of years ago, and it broke the hammer after 150 rounds( sheared it in half ). As for the edge thing, Kimbers are smooth, SA's ( at least mine ) almost needed to be de-horned out of the box. I don't own a TLE
(yet) but I have fired one, in fact I'm saving for one right now. Hope this input helps.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the Kimber, it is a better made weapon.  I have heard many stories of SA's quality control and customer service.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The TLE has more options for the price.

I had problems with mine and it took 2 trips to Yonkers to straighten things out.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with the TLE. I like the sights on the SA Loaded better, but the TLE is a fine package.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Kimber makes better guns than Springfield.

I will never own another Springfield. But I wouldn't say no to a Kimber.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:26:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Kimber TLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a SA "loaded". It was the first handgun I bought, but I wish that I had a Kimber. I have a had a few problems with it, Plus if you ever go to sell your gun Kimbers are always in demand.

Sorry for the two posts
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a SA "Loaded". It was my very first handgun, but I wish that I had a Kimber. My SA has had a few problems. When my SA works I can shoot my SA very well. But Kimbers are great handguns and Kimbers are always indemand should you ever choose to sell.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Kimber.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I so want to vote for Kimber, but I can't stand the external extractor and the firing pin safety.  At least with the Springfield all you have to do is change out the MSH.

I vote neither.  Pick up a used Series I Kimber, or one of the new LMNOP models, or one of the correct "anniversary" models without all of the new-fangled parts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Kimber TLE is a solid gun, very reliable out of the box.  I wouldnt buy anything youre gonna have to take to a smith.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#15]

I've heard a lot of complaining about Kimbers firing pin safety, is that something to worry about? Also, what about the plastic main spring housing?

I own a Pro Carry without the firing pin safety and it is the most accurate pistol I own but I want a 5" 1911 because after buy the shorter Pro Carry(used at a very good price) I don't see why one would carry the shorter gun over the full sized one. The extra barrel length in not a problem with a IWB holster and it doesn't weigh that much more. Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two different size pistols?

I doing some research about these guns because I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a Wilson or Baer!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've heard a lot of complaining about Kimbers firing pin safety, is that something to worry about? Also, what about the plastic main spring housing?

I own a Pro Carry without the firing pin safety and it is the most accurate pistol I own but I want a 5" 1911 because after buy the shorter Pro Carry(used at a very good price) I don't see why one would carry the shorter gun over the full sized one. The extra barrel length in not a problem with a IWB holster and it doesn't weigh that much more. Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy between the two different size pistols?

I doing some research about these guns because I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a Wilson or Baer!

My friend has a KImber Series II, and the only thing I have noticed negative about the firing pin safety is during disassembly.  If you pull the trigger or activate the grip safety, it can jam the slide while you are taking it off the frame.  It'll come off, it's just difficult.  We haven't noticed anything negative about it that affects it's ability to fire.

I had a plastic mainspring housing on my Kimber, never had a problem with it.  I did get it replaced with a metal one from Wilson Combat because I got the pistol refinished and they can't do that with a plastic one.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I like things simple.  The FPS is additional unnecesary parts.  Parts break.  I want a machine with absolutely as few moving parts as required to make it work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top