Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2004 10:17:35 PM EDT
hi all im purchasing a sig p226 and at first i was thinking of getting the navy 9mm version and i have a berretta 92f 9mm and was wondering what some fellow members would reccomend the p226 in .40 S&W or 9mm
thanks
dilrule
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the 9mm blued or stainless with tac rail. You will be able to use the 15 round hi-cap mags after the ban expires, or buy preban ones (at a premium) now. The tac rail will allow you to use 1913 rail/glock rail/picatinny rail tac lights and lasers. (9mm ammo is cheap, but still a powerful enough man stopper  in +P JHP. The Sigs are all rated for +P ammo. The .40 will give you less mag capacity, and the .357 sig ammo is very expensive.

Then again, if you already have a 9mm, you might want the .40 to have a broader range of options. Just more expensive ammo and less mag capacity once the ban expires, no hi-cap mags at all for non-LEO right now.  course it's only a month to wait.

I would go with the nine though, that's the classic P226 caliber. I have A P220 in .45, a P239 in .40, and an HK USP9 SD in 9mm. You can't go wrong with ANY Sig or HK product, no matter what you choose, though. Very reliable weapons.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
My 226 is my one dedicated 9mm. Wonderfully accurate, plenty of fun at the range or plinking. Good looking gun too. I love it.
The .40s aren't as accurate as the 9mms, but still boast Sig level accuracy and dependability.
My vote is for 9mm in this particular gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for the 9mm.   If it's good enough for the Navy SEALS, It's good enough for me!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto on the 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit the 9mm man... you will be able to buy a common ammo for yer pistola's.  Always a good thing, it sucks when you goto the store or oder from CTD and forget to feed one...

I am personally responsible for the happiness of the following:

2x .22LR
1x .22 Mag
2x 9mm
1x .38 Super
1x .40SW
2x .45ACP

Shit hits the fan, I'll be on the line with the best 9mm handgun and the best .45acp ammo money can buy!!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The Navy is an awesome weapon.  Quite a few Navy owners on Sigforum concur with me that the Navy has a better trigger than a regular 226.  Don't know why.  My Navy is extremely accurate!  Get one, you'll love it!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not really a 9mm man (owned one, issued several) but a Sig P226 SHOULD be 9mm.  There's just a cosmic rightness about that combination.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
That's "Leg on a ROPE" to you, hero.

Agree.  226 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The SIG 226 in 9mm is a classic!
I love mine, but if I were to buy one today, I'd get it with a rail.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's "Leg on a ROPE" to you, hero.

Agree.  226 in 9mm.

LOL!  We used to call that the Bull Winkle Badge - or dope on a rope.

Ah, the good old days...

Edited to add:  Glad to have you here, Hal9k - be sure to check out the Hall of Heroes forum.

I got my bullwinkle badge back in '83 when the AAS instructors still gave "Blood wings" on request at graduation. Now the pussified Army won't allow that anymore, it's not "sensitive". LOL.

sorry - didn't mean to hijack the thread. Get the 9mm, it's what the P226 was meant to be.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the 9mm.  I don't see the need for the rail and "Navy".  

Joe  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get the 9mm.  I don't see the need for the rail and "Navy".  

Joe  

I've got both a 40 cal and a Navy 226 and the navy has a much better trigger pull out of the box than any of my other Sig's.  For the same price (Sig is selling the navy at the same price as a regular 226) the navy is an easy choice.  There are still plenty of them out there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, since were talking P226 here I have a question. I like the newer model with the rails, but I have seen a lot of good deals on used P226's without the rails. My next pistol will be a dedicated home defense gun and I want something with rails, so that I can mount a light to it permanently. So, does anyone mill the rails on older SIG's, if so how much, or would it be better to get a new one with rails already on it.  Everything else about buying a used SIG does not bother me, from the feedback I have seen they seem to get better with age, and some more accurate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#16]
You don't really need an integral rail to mount a light.  Although I've never researched this particular combination, I'm fairly positive Surefire can set that up.

Personally, though, I don't have a light mounted on my "pillow" gun.  I can see the benefits of both methods, but I prefer a separate light source and the low-light "Harries Method."

Remember, once you fix your light to your weapon, you're required to point the muzzle at whatever it is you want to illuminate.  You're also limited to presenting a nice, bright target when the light's on.  The "FBI Method" quite possibly save my dad's life back when he was a patrol officer, so I don't discount its potential usefulness.

As always, YMMV.  This is just my two cents.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You don't really need an integral rail to mount a light.  Although I've never researched this particular combination, I'm fairly positive Surefire can set that up.

Personally, though, I don't have a light mounted on my "pillow" gun.  I can see the benefits of both methods, but I prefer a separate light source and the low-light "Harries Method."

Remember, once you fix your light to your weapon, you're required to point the muzzle at whatever it is you want to illuminate.  You're also limited to presenting a nice, bright target when the light's on.  The "FBI Method" quite possibly save my dad's life back when he was a patrol officer, so I don't discount its potential usefulness.

As always, YMMV.  This is just my two cents.

My buddy's all jacked up on getting lights on everything. He has a 226 (without rail) that he has a surefire on and I just don't get spending all that money on a light when a handheld surfire can do the same or more. The only benefit I can see is having the light attached and not having to fumble for a flashlight. But then again I'm so anal about having the surefire on my nightstand with a good 8 inches of nothing around it, pointed in the right direction...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
... So, does anyone mill the rails on older SIG's, if so how much, ...

I wouldn’t think it could be done since the dust cover on the regular Sigs is so thin.  Note it’s much greater thickness on the Sig’s with rails.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#19]
P226 in 9mm all the way.
M
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top