Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 4:53:22 PM EDT
I am planning on buying myself a nice handgun for my 21st birthday which is in about 6 months.  I went to the local fun shop today and talked to the owner about a few different handguns.  He showed me the Rock Island 1911's for around $400-$450 in both .45 and 9mm.  He also showed me a remington 1911 in .45 for just under $700.  He also showed me something else in 9mm similar to a glock but was around $300.  I think it was a Smith and Wesson.  I would like to spend around $600-$700 on something.  I like 1911's, but if I got one I would want it to be in .45.  But with the cost of .45 compared to 9mm I am leaning towards 9mm.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wrong with a 357mag.  You can shoot 38's out of it and familiarize yourself with handguns.  Buy a semi 22 also.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I would like to spend around $600-$700 on something.

Glock 19 and save the rest.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The Glock-like pistol he recommended is a S&W Sigma. Pass on that and get the RIA in either 9mm or 45 ACP. There's alot of guns in your price range that can be recommended. What I recommend is going out and trying a few at a range. Be sure to try out a CZ-75B.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
S&W M&P FTW
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a SIG and never look back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If your new to shooting, and need a pistol, go with a .357 revolver. Shoot .38 specials in it.

No magazines, safety, etc to worthy with. It was the original point and click device to stop bad guys. Its also time tested and reasonable priced.

Having said that,, if you have no other guns,, you might want to make a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 12 ga your first purchase.  It is a much better man stopper than any pistol,,, and can also be used to put meat on the table when TSHTF and obama voters go wild..
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock 19!

Remember, you'll need mags, ammo, holsters, etc..  

If you want to spend that much on just the gun, and are intent on doing so, the H&K P2000 in LEM gets my vote...might be at the top of your range though.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, okay, I suggest non of those that he showed you.

My first gun was a .45, and I kinda wish I'd gotten a 9mm, but in fairness, at the time you couldn't get 9mm mags with more than 10 rounds.  Today, it's different, and I'd completely recommend 9mm as your first (of many) calibers.  

There are 4 primary makers that you need to look at
Glock 17 or 19
Smith & Wesson M&P
Springfield Armory XD
Beretta 92fs or PX4

Of those, I like Smith the best.  Also, Smith is currently running a $50 rebate or 2 free mags promotion.  Regardless, each can be acquired for roughly $550 or less.  You should handle them, rent them if possible, to see which ones you like.  Also check out budsgunshop for good prices and selection if you want to order online.  You can also look at the equipment exchange on this website for people selling their used guns and you'll probably get a good deal.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the feedback! This is not my first gun purchase.  I have an 870, CMMG AR-15, Multiple Mosin Nagants, 10/22, PSL-54c, Saiga 5.45.  This is just my first handgun purchase.

I am starting to consider the RIA in 9mm.  Are the parts still interchangeable with most other 1911 parts?  If not I might go with a glock 19
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I gotta chime in with a vote for something Glock.  Th 19 or the 21, depending on 9mm vs 45

Everyone needs a Glock.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Get something different.

Get an HK.

There's a Cabela's here in TX that has police trade in HK's, barely shot, in both .40 S&W and 45ACP with night sights and tac light for $599

By barely shot I mean that most of the handguns don't have any markings on the top of the barrel block which would indicate either being shot a lot or not.

Check out the cabela's in Buda TX.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
A 22.  Auto or revolver, your choice.  Buy lots of ammo.  Practice for six months.  Then get a nine or 38, again your choice.  For the love of God do not buy a 45 straight out of the gate.  I can all but guarantee you will develop a flinch.  Seen it happen far too often.  Once you start flinching its a bugger to cure.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
My first gun was a CZ75b, but my glock 19 gen4 has replaced it as my favorite pistol.For now
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#14]
What are you going to use it for?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
glock 19

i've owned a glock 26, springfield xd9, ruger lcp, sig sauer 220 carry, and a cz75 pcr, all in about 1.5yrs time.  i wish i had gotten the glock 19 in the first place as i would have saved quite a bit of cash.  one of the best multi-purpose pistols you can get IMO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#16]
If I were to start over my first handgun would be a 1911. You should be able to find a used Springfield loaded in that price range.
You can buy a .22 conversion down the road for a 1911 also...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#17]
First pistol?

Glock or 1911.   And I think the Glock may be a better choice more likely, and at less than 1/2 the price of a comparable 1911.
Glock 19/17/23/22 are great choices.
S&W M&P.

Also don't over look .40S&W calibers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#18]
sounds like you want to play with the 45, but have the wallet of 9mm or smaller.

so, do you want to look at the gun or shoot it?

buy what you an afford to shoot.  there will be more then enough 45s down the road when you are making the big bucks and can afford to buy and feed it.

did you learn anything from the past years when the ammo was scarce and expensive?  there were alot (and still are) some people buying smaller caiber guns just to be able to shoot.  some are still buying conversion kits too.  imo, ammo prices are just going to go up.  even if you reload, compoent prices are still higher then before at least in my neck of the woods.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get something different.

Get an HK.

There's a Cabela's here in TX that has police trade in HK's, barely shot, in both .40 S&W and 45ACP with night sights and tac light for $599

By barely shot I mean that most of the handguns don't have any markings on the top of the barrel block which would indicate either being shot a lot or not.

+1

An HK handgun would be a great way to get started.  Accurate and dead nuts reliable.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get something different.

Get an HK.

HK is not a bad choice. If you can find a lightly used one in your price range, get it. If you have your heart set on a new handgun though, look at the S&W M&P line. As much as I like glocks and I do, the M&P corrects the few short commings the glock has IMO. Its in your price range, and backed up with customer service second to none in the industry.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Without question, GLOCK 19.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The Glock 19 is one of the best "all around" pistols that you can own.  It is large enough to be comfortable to shoot and is very easy to make hits with, yet it is small enough to comfortable CCW all day every day.  15+1 rounds of some good 9mm is plenty of firepower for most suburban / rural areas.

The only possible downside is that there is nothing glamorous about any glock.  You will not stand around and show off your G19 to all of your gun buddies... because they will have one too.  You might later decide that you will sell the 19 and get something else that peaks your interest at that time, but you will regret it, and you will come back and buy another one... I promise you that.

I have owned a dozen different handguns at one time or another.  Most I sold off or traded for a glock 9mm.  I currently own 5 G17's that are Identical and 3 G19's that are also all identical.  All of my glocks get a Vicker's extended mag release and night sights.  The reason that I basically own 8 of the exact same gun that they work well, they meet my needs and none of them has ever let me down.  

The only "close second" is the Beretta 92 series.  I have an M9, 92FS, 92G, and a 92FS Centurion.  Berettas are much heavier, larger, and hold the same number of rounds as the 19.  Great for the range, not so great for all-day CCW.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
It all depends on what you using the gun for. Personally, I have a Glock 19 and Springfield XD9. i mainly use my Glock for my carry weapon but sometimes with the XD.
Get either a Glock or XD. Caliber is up to you. I guarantee you will love them.

http://www.avalonverse.com/mypictures/Glock-19.jpg                                                                                           http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_M_5Pmk5eXGo/ShySwCaKXVI/AAAAAAAABmA/BlLo7L9vYMk/s400/XD9.jpg

GLOCK 19 on LEFT
SPRINGFIELD XD9 on RIGHT                                                                                                                                                                            
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The only possible downside is that there is nothing glamorous about any glock.  You will not stand around and show off your G19 to all of your gun buddies... because they will have one too.  You might later decide that you will sell the 19 and get something else that peaks your interest at that time, but you will regret it, and you will come back and buy another one... I promise you that.

+1.  How does the saying go?  "1911's to show to your friends, Glocks to show to your enemies".

Not starting anything by the way, I love my 1911's as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Do you just want to own a tacticool pistol, or do you want to be a proficient handgunner?

You would be substantially better off, buying a .22 pistol such as a Ruger MKII or a Browning Buckmark and about 20,000 rounds of ammo for it.

Go out and focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship and learn how to shoot little bitty groups, coached by a competitive shooter.

Don't just do mag dumps and burn through the ammo.

Once you can consistently meet  your accuracy goals, then you will likely have a bit more experience with handguns overall and will be able to make a better, more informed choice (in regards to a centerfire handgun) that meets your needs and practical uses.

When you can hammer running Jackrabbits with any handgun, from K22 to G19 to M29 .44 magnum,
you will be getting there.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#26]
After doing quite a bit of reading on the Glock 19 I think I have settled on that.  Does anyone have any suggestions of where to get the best price from?  If not how much should I look at spending?  I am planning on going by the local shop tomorrow to see how much they can get them for.  Any modifications need to be done to make it more usable?  I plan on picking it up and installing a set of night sights and then whatever is left over spending on ammo and a few magazines.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
IDK what prices are like in your area, but down here, I wouldn't spend more than $500 for one NIB.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#28]
You can't go wrong with a Glock!  If you can't find a local shop you like, try these guys:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/glock-19-9mm/

And mods?  I like putting night sights on my Glocks, other than that, ammo and mags.  And lots of trigger time!
Good luck and welcome to the shooting world.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#29]
You will not regret the Glock 19.  9x19mm is more affordable than .40 and .45.  You can shoot and train more.  It's a pistol, only hits count.  Glock magazines are less expensive than Sig, HK, S&W, and Springfield.  Everybody makes holsters for it.

Out of all my pistols, it is my go to gun.  If you're going to invest in accessories for it, get a light before getting night sights.  Whether the light is hand held or weapon mounted, the white light will wash out the tritium sights and they will be useless.  Yeah, they're good to have on your pistol anyway, but not required.  If you want them later, you can always add them at any time.

Everybody I've recommended one to loves it.  Whenever I take a prospective new handgun buyer shooting, I bring all my pistols so they can try different types and brands.  9/10, they love my Glock 19 because of it's size in relation to capacity, ease of concealment, manual of arms, and affordability.  The price point is really appealing.  My buddy John told me that it was one of the best things he's ever spent his money on and we work for a living.  Times are tough, money is tight, and he wanted to know which handgun to buy if he could only afford to purchase one.  My answer was easy.

Good luck, bud.  I know you'll like it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You will not regret the Glock 19.  9x19mm is more affordable than .40 and .45.  You can shoot and train more.  It's a pistol, only hits count.  Glock magazines are less expensive than Sig, HK, S&W, and Springfield.  Everybody makes holsters for it.

Out of all my pistols, it is my go to gun.  If you're going to invest in accessories for it, get a light before getting night sights.  Whether the light is hand held or weapon mounted, the white light will wash out the tritium sights and they will be useless.  Yeah, they're good to have on your pistol anyway, but not required.  If you want them later, you can always add them at any time.

Everybody I've recommended one to loves it.  Whenever I take a prospective new handgun buyer shooting, I bring all my pistols so they can try different types and brands.  9/10, they love my Glock 19 because of it's size in relation to capacity, ease of concealment, manual of arms, and affordability.  The price point is really appealing.  My buddy John told me that it was one of the best things he's ever spent his money on and we work for a living.  Times are tough, money is tight, and he wanted to know which handgun to buy if he could only afford to purchase one.  My answer was easy.

Good luck, bud.  I know you'll like it.

Do you have any suggestions for a weapon mounted light?

Also one concern I have, I might just not understand it fully yet.  How does the safety on it work?  Everywhere I read says it is built into the trigger.  Is this safe for CCW?  I would just be worried about a misfire or something while carrying.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I like the Streamlight TLR-1.  They can be had for <$100 now.  Typically, any light from Streamlight or Surefire is going to be a good product.  Most concealed carry holsters aren't going to work well with a weapon mounted light.  Those that do, are bulky.  Odds are, if you're carrying concealed, you won't have a weapon mounted light attached.  A hand held light by either Surefire or Streamlight with a pocket clip is what I find to be ideal.  I like the Surefire E2 and E2D.  I'm right handed, so the hand held goes in my left pocket.  I draw both the pistol and the light simultaneously.  The only time I affix a light to the weapon is at night time, after I get home.

The light you choose depends upon how you are going to use the firearm.

The Glock safety disengages as you pull the trigger.  As long as you practice good trigger discipline, you will be fine.  This is true with ANY firearm, as you know.  As long as it is in a holster that covers the trigger guard you will be fine.  I carry mine inside the waist band and just to the right of my belt buckle, known as appendix carry.  My body takes some positions, especially while seated in a vehicle, where the muzzle is pointed at my male anatomy.  The last time I checked, it is still there.

Believe it or not, Wikipedia has a pretty great explanation of the safeties.
Click

There are groups of people that are afraid of Glocks because they have no manual safety, like on 1911's.  Most XD's and S&W M&Ps don't.  Neither do Sig P-series pistols, or revolvers.  It's really not that big of a deal.  The Glock is designed to be drawn, pointed, and then shot.  It's caveman stupid and I'm a caveman.  Oooga booga.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Springfield 1911 .45
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Glock or older Sig
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Or you can get an M&P9 from gandrtactical.com for $460 which will have better ergos then the Glock and be equally reliable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Or you can get an M&P9 from gandrtactical.com for $460 which will have better ergos then the Glock and be equally reliable.

OP I would consider this.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Or you can get an M&P9 from gandrtactical.com for $460 which will have better ergos for some people and have a worse trigger out of the box then the Glock and can be equally reliable as most well proven weapons.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought a used Glock 17 when I was your age. One of the best decisions I ever made.

In my opinion you'd be better served by a modern polymer frame gun than a cheap 1911.

Gaston Glock designed the gun to fit my hand perfectly, but Its not perfect for everyone. Also check out the S&W M&P series (avoid the Sigma) and Springfield XD/XDm. "Wonder 9s" are designed to last for 10s of thousands of rounds. I would have no hesitation in picking up a used example.

9mm practice ammo can be had for < .18/rnd shipped, 45acp ~ .34/rnd
While 45 is marginally better at stopping bad guys, the extra practice you can afford with the 9mm will make you more effective.
Just make sure to keep some quality HPs loaded for self defense.

If you shop around you should be able to purchase a gently used 9mm, TLR-1, night sights and 1000 rnds of practice ammo for $700.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:39:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I tell everyone to get a Glock 19 as a first pistol.

No one has been disappointed in doing so.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Buy yourself a .22 pistol and enroll in a basic markmanship/gun handling course. When you can shoot that well then move up to a larger caliber.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Buy yourself a .22 pistol and enroll in a basic markmanship/gun handling course. When you can shoot that well then move up to a larger caliber.

If going in this direction, wouldn't it be more effective to get what ever gun he ends up buying and get a .22 conversion? They should be as cheap or cheaper than buying a another gun, and it would give him the chance to familiarize himself with the "real" weapon he would be using in the end, and have the benefits of limited power and cheap ammo for a .22

just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If going in this direction, wouldn't it be more effective to get what ever gun he ends up buying and get a .22 conversion? They should be as cheap or cheaper than buying a another gun, and it would give him the chance to familiarize himself with the "real" weapon he would be using in the end, and have the benefits of limited power and cheap ammo for a .22

just a thought.

It take a lot of time and ammo to learn to shoot a handgun well. A .22 is a good way to start. Good .22 conversion units usually cost as much or more than a Ruger MKIII or S&W 22.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top