Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2010 5:13:06 PM EDT
I am interested in getting my concealed weapons permit and I am not quite sure which pistol to get. I have been pondering over getting a compact to full size handgun (G19, P226, etc) in 9mm or getting a pocket model (Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, etc) in 380. I have come to the conclusion that either type has advantages and disadvantages and that eventually I will end up with at least one example of each type in the future. I work in a retail environment and I need a pistol that is as concealable as possible without getting a caliber smaller than 380. Outside of work, a pistol of this size would be nice to have for low-profile carry as well as backup. It appears that the Ruger LCP would be a good pistol for this. I have considered the Kel-Tec P3AT, however I like the Ruger's last shot hold open feature as well as its better finish.

So what do you guys think, Ruger LCP a good choice for first carry gun or not?

Also, I plan on carrying it in a back-pocket wallet style holster the majority of the time. I would be sitting on hard surfaces and I weight around 150 lbs, do you think I could damage the pistol or cause it to malfunction by sitting on it like this?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
The LCP slide lock is a manual slide lock only. it does not lock to the rear automatically on an empty mag.

I have an LCP for the times i cannot possibly carry a larger gun. 90% of the time I carry a Glock 26.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The LCP slide lock is a manual slide lock only. it does not lock to the rear automatically on an empty mag.

I have an LCP for the times i cannot possibly carry a larger gun. 90% of the time I carry a Glock 26.

Do you notice a big difference between the LCP and the G26? As far as size, weight, etc?

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you notice a big difference between the LCP and the G26? As far as size, weight, etc?

Yes. I can carry the LCP in the pocket of my gym shorts or swim trunks. The glock 26 is not a pocket gun. Not even close.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. I can carry the LCP in the pocket of my gym shorts or swim trunks. The glock 26 is not a pocket gun. Not even close.
So do you think the LCP is about as big of a caliber (380) that I could comfortably fit in a wallet holster in my back pocket?

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
1. The LCP is what you're looking for as far as pocket carry.
2. Do front pocket instead.  YES YOU MIGHT HAVE TO MOVE YOUR KEYS.  WE MUST MAKE SACRIFICES IN LIFE SOMETIMES.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

1. The LCP is what you're looking for as far as pocket carry.

2. Do front pocket instead.  YES YOU MIGHT HAVE TO MOVE YOUR KEYS.  WE MUST MAKE SACRIFICES IN LIFE SOMETIMES.

Yeah, the keys was pretty much my main reason for not wanting to carry front pocket. Also, sometimes I carry my cell phone in my front pocket. I am right handed so conventional wisdom tells me I should carry the gun on my right side. I usually carry my wallet in my left rear pocket so I can easily access it when I'm going through the drive thru window. My right rear pocket is pretty much the only one I never use, which is why I want to carry there.

Just curious, why is the front pocket better? Is it because I won't be sitting on it or does it offer some tactical advantage?

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I always carry the LCP, and 90% of the time I have my P229 also.

If you are only going to carry one gun, carry the largest gun you can carry comfortably and shoot well.

I carried for a few years with the P229 before I got my LCP.

I think of the LCP as a loud knife.

ETA-I usually carry right front pocket with a DeSantis holster.

And I do really like the LCP. It has been a great summer carry piece when clothing hasn't allowed for my other gun.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The LCP is a great gun. I carry mine EVERYWHERE. When I'm on duty, its my backup. When I'm off, I carry it, and 99% of the time a g23 as well.
I carry an extra LCP mag in my left pocket and the gun in a desantis superfly holster in my right (front pockets)

It is not a user friendly gun to shoot in a dynamic situation, so practice with it, and practice often. I'm not talking about standing in front of a paper target at 10 yards squeezing slow aimed shots either. Practice drawing, dry firing, and double taps to center mass inside of 7 yards from the draw.

the LCP is a DRAW POINT SHOOT gun. Notice that "aim" is missing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think of the LCP as a loud knife.

AHAHHA! Thats the best description I've ever heard for the LCP. Accurate too!
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
i believe pleated slacks are the best work pants for pocket carry in the front pockets.  pleats do a great job at breaking up the outline of my p3at.  cargo shorts/pants are also great for pocket carry because they're baggy.  i think blue jeans are the worst, because they're typically tighter and its difficult to draw a pistol from the front pocket with agood grip on the pistol.  for a good test, stick your hand in your pcoket and make a fist then try to pull it out.  

i'm right handed and always keep my wallet in the left back pocket, my phone in my left front pocket, my knife in my right back pcoket, and pocket pistol in front right pocket (when applicable).  keys are worn on a carabiner on my left belt loop (i've kept my keys on a carabiner since middle school).
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I carry a G19 but I also have the LCP for the times where I cant or dont need to carry the G19
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a LCP that i used to carry in a mini tuck about 4:30 and its a great concealed carry pistol.I don't like bulky stuff in my front pockets.
Its also hard to whip out if ya need ot fast from a pocket holster.Also if you want to shoot the LCP very often, go plinking etc.The LCP
IMO is not a fun gun to shoot very much.It can be somewhat painfull on your hand and the trigger really sucks.I stopped carrying my LCP
as i was not confident in .380 and got me a Kahr PM9 and love it.I carry it in the same mini tuck. just heated it up slightly with a heat gun
and resized it.The PM9 is 9mm of power and actually fun to shoot.Its my summer carry as was the LCP. Winter i have several to choose
Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II 45 Auto, Glock G19 9mm, Glock 33 .357 sig. I have Super Tucks for all those as well as OWB.
The LCP by the way has become my easy chair side pocket gun....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#13]
You wanna' face off with a more heavily armed opponent while carrying a LCP as your primary, be my guest; but your "first" carry pistol might end up being your last as well.

Carry guns aren't like bikes with training wheels.

Either you are adequately armed from day one or you are not.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Not matter how you are dressed you can carry the LCP.  That makes it the one you will have with you when you need something.  Its a defensive gun which means you should run and only use it when cornered at close range.  Its one you can always have with you if you are wearing pants.  It is amazingly accurate for a pocket pistol.

After you get it, start saving for something more better, but harder to conceal.

Dont get caught with your pants down.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You wanna' face off with a more heavily armed opponent while carrying a LCP as your primary, be my guest; but your "first" carry pistol might end up being your last as well.

What if you can't carry a full size gun?

I know a lot of guys that want to carry a 5" 1911, but work in an office setting in slacks and a tie.
They carry an LCP or LCR type gun in the pocket or on an ankle holster.

Any gun is better than no gun. C'mon man.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So, you are saying if you can't carry your G19....don't carry anything at all?

That makes sense......

ETA:  First rule of gun fighting is......you guessed it......bring a gun.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a lot of guys that want to carry a 5" 1911, but work in an office setting in slacks and a tie.

Then you carry a service caliber compact or a J frame or similar type revolver.

"It's either a full size, no gun, or a mouse gun" is a popular but false conundrum.

"Any gun is better than no gun" only if you survive the encounter and your assailant is stopped before doing you serious harm.

Man.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"It's either a full size, no gun, or a mouse gun" is a popular but false conundrum.

"Any gun is better than no gun" only if you survive the encounter and your assailant is stopped before doing you serious harm.

Man.

You've obviously never seen a kel-tec p11 or other such service caliber weapon in slacks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I would recommend the new Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380,  or the LCP, for first conceal carry weapon don't even consider Glock 19, super reliable , or any other gun that size.

1. Weight too heavy.
2. Too wide,
3. 4 inch barrel too long for every day carry, I know people carry 5" 1911, and many full size pistols, but MOST do not.

I purchased a M&P9c, too wide, too heavy, IMHO for every day carry.  I plan to get the Kahr P9 soon for edc, and the new S&W bodyguard 380 as a pocket gun so I can just throw it in my short pockets and out the door without having to put a belt holster on. I live in South Florida, after work shorts and sandals.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man.

What do you carry at the beach, gym, swimming, shooting hoops and running?  off body carry or do you just avoid those activities where you would be shirtless and beltless?

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man.

What do you carry at the beach, gym, swimming, shooting hoops and running?  off body carry or do you just avoid those activities where you would be shirtless and beltless?

This was the OP's question and the one I was addressing: "So what do you guys think, Ruger LCP a good choice for first carry gun or not?"

Not this one: "What do you carry at the beach, gym, swimming, shooting hoops and running?  off body carry or do you just avoid those activities where you would be shirtless and beltless?"

I don't believe that an LCP is, in fact, a good choice for a first carry gun.

And I certainly wouldn't base my recommendation for a first carry gun on the criteria of which handgun would be best for the "beach", "shooting hoops", and "running" or what I would carry while "shirtless and beltless".

I'd base it solely on which service caliber  handgun, within reasonable size limitations and accommodation on the part of the owner, would a knowledgeable gun person want in their hand if things turn to shit during their normal daily activity; if they had only one carry gun.

And even I don't carry while I'm swimming but I'd recommend one of those Russian Spetznatz specials if you absolutely must carry while in the water.

But not as your first carry gun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a LCP that i used to carry in a mini tuck about 4:30 and its a great concealed carry pistol.I don't like bulky stuff in my front pockets.
Its also hard to whip out if ya need ot fast from a pocket holster.Also if you want to shoot the LCP very often, go plinking etc.The LCP
IMO is not a fun gun to shoot very much.It can be somewhat painfull on your hand and the trigger really sucks.I stopped carrying my LCP
as i was not confident in .380 and got me a Kahr PM9 and love it.I carry it in the same mini tuck. just heated it up slightly with a heat gun
and resized it.The PM9 is 9mm of power and actually fun to shoot.Its my summer carry as was the LCP. Winter i have several to choose
Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II 45 Auto, Glock G19 9mm, Glock 33 .357 sig. I have Super Tucks for all those as well as OWB.
The LCP by the way has become my easy chair side pocket gun....

Indeed.

Anyone who carries an LCP or similar small handgun can carry a more suitable, service caliber pistol or revolver so long as they have a modicum of commitment to being adequately armed.

"It's gotta' be either a Dessert Eagle or a .380 mousegun" is merely a fictional internet meme and presents an absolutely false conundrum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I shoot 357s, 44s, 45s, and 06s....  the wee little 380 does bark a bit, but its not too hard to roll thru a few mags.  I didnt get it to plink with.

The best gun for self defense is the one you will/can always have on you.  You can expand our collection for cooler weather, but certain times of the year or certain functions its hard to hide much more.

Get what you will get the most mileage out of for a first gun!  

One problem with the LCP is you probably wont be going to the range to burn thru a 100 rounds in an afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the input guys. I will still consider the LCP as a carry gun, and sometimes I hit up beaches and stuff so its funny you mentioned that lol. I live a fairly active lifestyle so having something that is in as larger of a caliber as possible but still be easily concealable is important to me. I was thinking about a Khar 9mm compact type pistol, as I would feel MUCH more comfortable with a 9mm over a 380 (yes, I know that a 380 is just a short 9mm). I think I will take the course first, shoot some different types of pistols and make my decision after that. Whichever pistol I choose will most likely be the only one I own for several years until I am finished with college and get a real job.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I would contrast much of the above and say get the gun you're going to carry every day first.  Most people will carry their pocket gun every day and their waistband gun rarely.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#26]
t  carry gun should be:

reliable (work)
effective (caliber/'power' to STOP)
wearable (something you can keep on you all the time)
user friendly (something you can shoot and trian with effectively, deploy quickly, and under stress)

imo, LCPs and other pocket rockets, while "yes" better than "nothing", would not be my first choice; you dont have a lot of choices IN a fight, but you do have a choice in what gun you MAY bring to a fight

personally, i'd bring the most reliable, working gun i can shoot well under stress that i can conceal reasonable and shoot well

but hey, its your life
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Its a tough decision.

Buy a better gun that will leave you unarmed 10% of the time or a lessor gun you can have 100% of the time.

Thats why i have 4 guns on my CCW permit; Glock 19, Glock 26, 442 & LCP.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I own a LCP and love it. I carry it everwhere I go. I listened to many of the "don't leave the house without a rocket launcher crowd" when I first started to carry but realized quickly that I was either too uncomfortable carrying a larger gun or afraid I was printing (I'm 6'0" and 175lbs with 4% body fat so I print easily). This led to me only carrying about 70% of the time. I got my LCP because it took away those concerns for me and with the training I do with it, I carry constantly and confidently. LCPs are great guns! Pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#29]
what about the sigP238?  I had a keltec P3AT and didnt care for it.  Im not personally wild about the DAO trigger pull.  THe sig is the only 380 I know of that is SAO and mimicks a 1911 being able to carry cocked and locked..just my .02
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

what about the sigP238?  I had a keltec P3AT and didnt care for it.  Im not personally wild about the DAO trigger pull.  THe sig is the only 380 I know of that is SAO and mimicks a 1911 being able to carry cocked and locked..just my .02

If I could afford one, I'd be carrying it over the LCP.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top