Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 6:19:03 PM EDT
Can the front sight on this BHP be changed without having the slide dovetailed? The sights seems to be pressed on because it doesn't have a dovetail cut in the slide. I am wanting to change the front and rear to a lower profile sight for carrying.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
That front is either silver soldered on or brazed on, I can't recall which.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Some HP's had the front sight pinned in place.

Try asking here:

forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It is silver soldered on.

There should be two small dots in front of the sight to show the solder points.  It is not going anywhere unless you milled it off.  You can try and torch it off, but you will disfigure the slide, which will require a new blue job.

I had a Portugese assembled BHP and absolutely hated the Millet rear sight for the same reason as you......I bought a Browning adjustable rear sight......the cheapy looking sheet metal one and put it on my slide and I was happy.......it was lower and I kept the front sight.....which is thicker and seems to help with accuracy.  It cost me $26 total.

I only shoot one kind of 9mm ammo......free US Navy 147 grain JHP and it is zeroed for it.

the first time I went to the range to sight it in......10 people came up to me to buy it!!

Seems "Serpico" just played on TNT and my BHP looked like his.......I saw the flick and it was true......

I liked it even more.

Hope it helps.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The front sight on the slide in your picture is a Millet "Dual Crimp". It is crimped in place after two holes are machined through the slide. It is very easy to remove, just pull it off with some pliers. You may then replace it with another dual crimp as desired. This is simple, quick, and cheap, but limits you to the use of a Millet front sight.

The only way to repair the holes to have them TIG welded closed, which will destroy the finish in that area. Once the holes are repaired you can machine a dovetail and refinish as desired.

The image below illustrates the dual crimp front sight in the bottom right corner.

John

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top