Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2007 5:44:00 PM EDT
As the title suggests I am interested in picking up a Hi Power.
Need a gun I can shoot alot, carry sometimes, maybe pack in my car, etc.
Not interested in plastic guns yet, and being a fan of 1911's, the HP seems a logical choice.
Want to avoid collector guns (Inglis & vintage) as I want to be able to shoot this piece often and throw it under the seat and not worry about it if I want to.
What models should I avoid/seek out, and what can I expect to pay?  Any alternatives to HP reccomend as well.

thanks...
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
THe High Power is a classic. It's slim, points great and shoots nice. Trigger ain't the best though. And there is nothing you can do to make it anywhere as nice as 1911.

I see Brownings and FNs in the $400-$500 range pretty often. You can get a Charles Daly or FEG clone for $250-$350. I've got a Belgium FN and a Hungarian FEG. To be honest, there isn't THAT much difference when you pull the trigger. THe FN sure is nicer to look at, though . . .
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I'm not into clones so for me, it would be a true FN HP or nothing at all. if you are coming from 1911, the BHP will make a nice transition. Like the 1911, it's a pretty thin gun (especially considering its a double stack) which makes it nice for IWB carry. The only thing I would be leery of is, I don't know that it's the type of gun I would leaving lying around in my car? Unless you get one of the hard chrome versions, I don't think the finish (or lack there of on the barrel) would react kindly to that kind of treatment? Other then that, i think it's a great firearm.

If you want a gun that you can use and abuse and not worry about it, Glock still rules that roost. I know you said your not into polymer but for that purpose, I really think the Glock (or the S&W M&P) would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I would have to agree with airgunner, if you want a beater, get a glock or m&p . I couldnt imagine throwing a BHP or FN under the seat , maybe in the glove box, but not under the seat.

I keep my 1911 locked in the glove box when its not on the seat next to me. I really want to get back into 9mm, I think when I do, it will be a HP platform of some sort!
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Not so much directly to the original question but more to the point of cheap guns for trash use: For under the seat, a Hi-Power clone makes a lot of sense. The FEG's shoot well and you can often find them for less than $250 (I paid $175) for mine.

Another option is third generation S&W semi-autos. If you can get past the DA/SA trigger, they're pretty nice pistols (especially the compact models) and since they're considered passe´, you can get some good buys. I just bought a 3913 single stack compact 9mm for $340 shipped. It packs like a dream.

The real bottom feeder option for truck carry would be one of the C&R East Bloc guns like the CZ-52 or CZ-83. You can pick up CZ-52's for about $140 if you've got a C&R license.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
real good feedback so far, thanks all.
Anymore about the trigger?
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
real good feedback so far, thanks all.
Anymore about the trigger?

Ok first off I'll tell you the preferences I have for handguns to give you a better idea of where I am coming from.

I'm a SA auto fan, and a die hard 1911 snob. I'm not much for new DA/DA, DOA, and safety action polymer and tacticool pistols.

The BHP is definitely a close second favorite for me, if not a tie for first. So when looking at my pros and cons, keep in mind I am comparing it to the 1911. Which is some what unfair, but regardless of that I needed a frame of reference to compare it to.

No the trigger isn't the best, but it's better than the majority.

The Cons: I would be really impressed with the BHP if it were available with night sites straight from the factory. (But there are more than enough smiths that can do this and other things for you) Trigger reset is a bit less to be desired when compared to the 1911. But there are custom jobs that can fix this. I also prefer the removal of the mag safety, but thats just me and isn't that big of a deal. In fact the biggest flaw in my mind about the BHP is that they are not available in a wide variety like the 1911 is. There is a lot of talk about the BHPs cast frame, which if it were modern forged steel would certianly be better, but this is of little concern. Just remember some of the worlds most powerful revolvers have cast frames, and of course don't forget how many pistols use alloys and "plastic" receivers. 90% of what I would call the Cons of the HP are easy fixes, or don't really matter much.

The Pros:
A plus to not being available in a wide variety is there aren't nearly as many junk parts available for the BHP as there are for the 1911. Which can save you the error of getting a faulty or inferior part. Better factory trigger than most factory handguns. Accurate as hell, much slimmer than most 9mm's and .40's. As far as a carry gun goes, it is the full size CCW pistol for me. The ergonomics also fit me better than most modern production pistols. I really feel, the HP is the most under rated handgun in America.

If your preferences are even remotely like mine, then you will love this pistol.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The HP grip is thin and many women would benefit from this. The trigger is grity and an issue and not much can be done to improve it like a 1911. One thing you can do is have a smith polish the mag safety contact point. That and using SS or blue mags will allow the mags to drop free. Lastly, lets try to keep things straight in that the BHP trigger is better than many of the new guns for sale today. Ever shoot a Walther 99, Glock, or a XD? Those long DA pulls just are the pits next to a BHP. I think the real issue is how well do the clones stack up to the original and who has both?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You know, if a guy wants to buy a nice HP and beat the crap out of it.  Who cares.  Maybe he doesn't like Glocks.  There's things about them I don't like too.  I'd rather have a pistol I like and use it, then worry about it scratching it or something.  If you screw the finish up, you can always get it redone.  They are made to be used.  The ones I don't shoot that much scream out in the night wanting to be shot.  That's what they were built for.  If you want a gun to put in a museum, buy one that has some history and put it in a museum.  Otherwise anything else should be fair game.  Even if it isn't a Glock.  I would think in a HP the only collectable ones would be WWII issued ones.  Or previous.  Or one that an SAS guy used or something.  Then I could see not wanting to shoot it and use it.  And even then, it's iffy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:16:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Pros-
Classic design.  Beautiful, sleak gun.  Slim for a double-stack gun.  Fairly compact for a full-size pistol.  Has a manual safety.  Generally they are incredibly reliable pistols.

Cons-
Difficult to find nowadays (based on my experience with gun shops here).  Expensive -- they go for around $600-700, which is way too high IMO.  THE worst trigger reset ever -- you have to let it ALL the way out before it resets and it doesn't have that satisfying "click" to let you know it reset, which leads me to pull it back in before I should and thus not fire.  Lots of slack and a heavy break in the trigger, although it is a clean break with no creep (and this is with the mag disconnect removed).

I like the HP and I'm not selling mine.  But I think you'd be better served with something else.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi-powers are awesome.

Slim, reliable...and that Hi-power mystique.

I dont even mind the mushy trigger and hammer bite.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
pros, all.   Then there is CZ`s offerings of 9mm pistols. ``Throwing it under the seat and not worrying about it``.....?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm gonna roll with the "get a CZ/other pistol" crowd. Its trigger is kinda bad unless you tune it (and even then its still has shortcomings), plus its got a little snappier recoil vs a CZ (which has a lower-slung barrel). This is all forgetting the FN/Browning ones are priced pretty high for a single-action 9mm, the clones are more reasonable but then you still have to deal with the trigger/etc issues.

edit: I've heard good things about the CZ75SA if you must have a SA pistol, plus they are priced reasonably

http://www.impactguns.com/store/806703011509.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#13]
The only con to me is the trigger reset.  The pull can be made very nice and crisp, but there is very little that can be done about the fairly long reset.  With quality parts, it's not too hard to get a 4 to 5 lb pull that is crisp.  With someone who is good and some light mods, 3.5 lbs is possible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only con to me is the trigger reset.  The pull can be made very nice and crisp, but there is very little that can be done about the fairly long reset.  With quality parts, it's not too hard to get a 4 to 5 lb pull that is crisp.  With someone who is good and some light mods, 3.5 lbs is possible.

Hobbs, I asked you about this in the other thread in case you didn't see it.  Any response you have time for is much appreciated.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Of course, I saw it in the other thread.  Truthfully, I would send it to Ted Yost or Don Williams if I wanted a 3.5 lb. pull.  It's a little pricey, as a lot of work goes into it.  You need to use a C&S trigger lever (sear lever, really).  It gives you a little extra leverage on the sear.  It requires drilling a hole in the slide, and it needs to be parallel to the slide, which means using a good drill press at the least, and preferrably a mill.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Of course, I saw it in the other thread.  Truthfully, I would send it to Ted Yost or Don Williams if I wanted a 3.5 lb. pull.  It's a little pricey, as a lot of work goes into it.  You need to use a C&S trigger lever (sear lever, really).  It gives you a little extra leverage on the sear.  It requires drilling a hole in the slide, and it needs to be parallel to the slide, which means using a good drill press at the least, and preferrably a mill.

Well, I don't know if I need it that light.  It's very crisp now but dang is it heavy.  I guess I was bouncing those two ideas off of you for confirmation of heading in the right direction at least.  Or if you've ever done that yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top