Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 10:24:51 PM EDT
Has anyone seen any of the new High Powers yet? I was wondering how they stacked up, looks wise, to the previous models.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:06:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I just bought one about a month ago.

As you know, they're being marketed under the FN name now. Supposedly Browning will continue to market Hi Powers with their name until those inventories are depleted.

The FN Hi Powers that were first imported last year really took some criticism, mostly in the aesthetics department. They had a cheap-looking finish, lots of stamps and import marks; kind of like a cheap Eastern European gun.

The ones imported currently exhibit the same finish as the Browning MK III Hi Powers. The serial number has been moved to the right side of the frame below the LH safety lever, the right side of the slide is marked "FN HERSTAL BELGIUM," the left side of the frame has a small "FNMI, Columbia, SC," and the left side of the slide has the famous "FN" trademark. Really a nice-looking pistol.

Mine has shot exceptionally well, feeding all kinds of ammunition and hitting the target accurately. Everyone with whom I've spoken, who own an older Hi Power and one of the new ones, have been very happy with their new HP.

Here are some pictures posted by someone over on fnhipower.com that are fairly representative of my gun (the serial number is actually just fourteen off).

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Great picks Jim.

Ive got one of those on my must buy list.  Everyone needs at least TWO Brownings
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Everyone needs at least TWO Brownings

Not Browning anymore (as a matter of fact, Browning has never manufactured anything). It's my understanding that FN is restructuring its U.S. marketing concerns. Browning will handle the "sporting" firearms, clothing, etc., and FNH USA will market and distribute so-called police and military weapons to include most handguns (Winchester/USRA will be used to market some of the "sporting" firearms, too).

More of the FN items can be seen at www.fnhusa.com.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a picture of one of the FN Hi Powers from a year ago. Some of the cluttered markings can be seen in this photograph.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Point taken, however, since JM Browning did the initial design and FN completed it, the gun is still commonly refered to as a Browning rather than FN's P-35 designation.

Splitting hairs now. Either way, Browning/P-35s are my favorite 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Point taken, however, since JM Browning did the initial design and FN completed it, the gun is still commonly refered to as a Browning rather than FN's P-35 designation.

Splitting hairs now. Either way, Browning/P-35s are my favorite 9mm.

The difference will be worth noting should you have a warranty concern. At any rate, the finish on these new Hi Powers is everything the Browning-marked guns used to be, though I doubt we'll ever see a high polish blued or a nickeled versions again.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]

If Browning has never manufactured any of their firearms then who makes the Buckmark?

A Browning contractor here in the U.S. It was the same company who manufactured the BDM. I recall reading a post on fnhipower.com where the company was mentioned by name, but cannot recall it offhand.

Is Browing a subsidiary of FN?

Yep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top