Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2006 6:52:46 PM EDT
Recieved a hipower p35 that belonged to my grandfather who brought it back from germany during WW2. This is my problem...This pistol has a pair of markings on it that arent shown on anypics ive seen, little less any mention of any having these markings. Right above the trigger (on frame) and right behind the triger guard there is a small eagle holding a swastica (sp?). I have pics but none of them show the marks very well as they are about half the size of a pencil eraser. Can anyone tell me any specifics on this? I was thinking that it was made upon the German control of FN, but it's never been mentioned in anything ive read and the pictures shown all seem to lack those marks. Any ideas????
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The Hi Power was unique in that it was use by both sides in WWII.

After the Nazi's invaded Belgium, the FN factory continued to operate and since the Hi Power was already chambered in the 9mm Parabellum,  they took charge of the P35's that were produced, had them stamped them with German acceptance marks and issued them to German paratroopers.  I think there were a few hundred thousand made with German proof marks but they are fairly collectible and will bring a four figure price if in good condition.

The design itself was smuggled out of Europe after the Nazi occupation and was put in production in Canada and Argentina, so in effect, the Germans used the Hi Power before the British and Canadians did.  

There are a couple on gunbroker now with pictures of a German proof mark...

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63134928

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=63264163

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the reply....just what i was looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top