Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 2:36:37 PM EDT
I just got my new Browning HP yesterday.  I wanted a 1911, but I couldn't afford any of the Kimbers or Colts the dealer had in stock.  So instead I paid homage to JMB by buying his other masterpiece.

What defensive loads work best in the BHP? I got some Win 115 JHP's.  I don't know how much pressure an HP can handle.

Bottom line, I'm loving this pistol.  My hand fits excellent, the tip of my finger rests perfectly on the trigger.  I've been dry firing with some snap caps, and the trigger is nice and smooth.  I will hit the range this weekend, hopefully, so I can put her through the paces.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Call me crazy, but smooth is not a good definition of a single stage trigger...

I hope one day to join your ranks.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
HP doesn't have hiccups.  Great choice.

As far as carry ammo selection, I'd say 124gr to 147 gr range loads JHP in Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dots.  Gold Dots expand better and penetrate a bit better, but Win Ranger uses powder that burns with reduced muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Thirsty,

The web site below has some good info:

www.hipowersandhandguns.com
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The BHP is one of the world's FINEST handguns. I've owned/own three different ones and two different clones. I will never part with my HP. You made a DAMN good choice. Congrats and I know you will have a lifetime of pleasure shooting it.
thedr
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everybody!

I just got to shoot her yesterday.  I put 200 rounds through her at a slowfire target at the 50 ft mark.  Unbelievable!  

I shot 130 rounds of 115-gr UMC's, 50 rounds of 115-gr Winchester HP's, and 20 rounds of 147-gr Federal Hi-Shoks.  I'm not all that accurate, but all the ammo I fed her she ate and shot perfectly.  All hits on target with a handgun I fired for the very first time!  Every last round accounted for!  Not every shot hit in the rings, but regardless I have never shot that well in my life!  I'm in love with this gun!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Best 9mm defensive load is a 124gr +P, IMO. Cor-Bon makes some good options there, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Best 9mm defensive load is a 124gr +P, IMO. Cor-Bon makes some good options there, IMO.

Cool!  I'll give 'em a try.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats on the HP, it won't be your last. They shoot great don't they!

You have been assimilated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top