Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 11:06:59 AM EDT
Hiya,

I have a few stupid questions, please help this dumb n00b.

1) What is the difference between the "Hi-Power Standard", "Hi-Power Practical", and the "Hi-Power Mark III"? Do all three pistols  offer a firing pin safety?

2) Can you get night sights with Hi-Powers?

3) Can you get a beavertail for your Hi-Power?

4) Are Browning Hi-Power pistols combat accurate & reliable?

5) Is the Browning Hi-Power the standard issued pistol of the British Military?

6) Are the new Browning PRO pistols any good? They sure look like USPs...

Sorry for all the dumb questions. Looking forward to reading your helpful responses.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hiya,

I have a few stupid questions, please help this dumb n00b.

1) What is the difference between the "Hi-Power Standard", "Hi-Power Practical", and the "Hi-Power Mark III"? Do all three pistols  offer a firing pin safety?

Depends on the year of mfgr, for the FPS, IIRC? The Practical is their two-tone model.

2) Can you get night sights with Hi-Powers?

Maybe not always "with" them, but you can easily have them installed on a new model.

3) Can you get a beavertail for your Hi-Power?

I've never seen one. Why would you want one????

4) Are Browning Hi-Power pistols combat accurate & reliable?

At one time, the HP was THE most military adopted/issued sidearm in the world, bar none. Seems to sum it up, IMO.

5) Is the Browning Hi-Power the standard issued pistol of the British Military?

I'm not sure, but I don't think that's no longer the case these days????

6) Are the new Browning PRO pistols any good? They sure look like USPs...

Everyone's definition of "good" will be different. That's why we have hundreds of different models instead of one or two, no?  

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

No such thing, sir!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The British still use the Hi-Power. They have adopted the Sig P226 for some functions. Ive found the P35 to be the most reliable 9mm Ive fired and its the only 9mm I own. I bought one in 1974(it was made in 1950) and Ive got an all Belgian practical.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Hiya,

Thx for the reply. I was referring to the newest Browning Hi-Powers, the one listed on Browning USA's website.

I thought having a beavertail might be a good idea since there's a really good chance for the hammer to nag onto your clothes when carrying the weapon "cocked & locked".

Last time I heard, the British SAS uses the Browning Hi-Power during offensive missions and they switch over to the SiG Sauer P226 9x19mm when conducting counter-terrorism missions.

Since the Hi-Power is a double-stacked handgun, is the grip really fat? Is it as easy to conceal as a 1911A1?

Ty.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hiya,

Thx for the reply. I was referring to the newest Browning Hi-Powers, the one listed on Browning USA's website.

I thought having a beavertail might be a good idea since there's a really good chance for the hammer to nag onto your clothes when carrying the weapon "cocked & locked".

Last time I heard, the British SAS uses the Browning Hi-Power during offensive missions and they switch over to the SiG Sauer P226 9x19mm when conducting counter-terrorism missions.

Since the Hi-Power is a double-stacked handgun, is the grip really fat? Is it as easy to conceal as a 1911A1?

Ty.

The High Power has a SURPRISINGLY comfortable grip for a double stacked 9mm.  I like its feel almost as much as a 1911, and certainly feel to my taste that its more comfortable to shoot than a glock, a beretta, or a CZ
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
A few smiths do beavertails, notable Ted Yost.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
So do the new Browning Hi-Powers listed on Browning's website contain a firing pin safety?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So do the new Browning Hi-Powers listed on Browning's website contain a firing pin safety?

No, they have a magazine safety. I do not know if they are CA drop tested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

and is quite expensive since it requires welding
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and is quite expensive since it requires welding

$350, and I think he solders it. Personally I think it is worth it, because my hand tends to wind up under the hammer otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes the mk III does have a firing pin saftey. The trigger must be pulled for the firing pin to move forward. Several gunsmiths can weld a beavertail to the existing tang.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The Browning Pro-9 grip is a little fatter than the Hi Power, but it is comfortable for relatively small hands. It's fairly accurate. The decock/safety lever feels a little mushy, but it functions reliably.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ty.

Ty,

The Hi Power grip is VERY ergonomic and not at all blocky or fat like some more "modern" double stack automatics.  Very narrow like a 1911, the Hi Power is one of the most concealable fullsized pistols out there.  It can be a great carry piece.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top