Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2005 6:01:45 AM EDT
I want to know the date of manufacture of a FN hipower I have looked around online with no luck, it is marked : "Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique" underneath that "Browning patent depose" serial number 52157 on the slide and frame it has a "C' in front of the serial number but not on the barrel , barrel has serial number and CAL. 9m/m P on it.

Thanks in advance.

-Robert
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.browning.com/services/dategun/detail.asp?id=35

I looked at that before I asked here, doesnt help, mines an FN and not a browning, and has a serial number that doesnt work with any of those types shown.

Thanks for the help though no one seems to know!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I looked at that before I asked here, doesnt help, mines an FN and not a browning, and has a serial number that doesnt work with any of those types shown.

It might help if you chose to read the information posted at the link:

"The 9mm Hi-Power pistol was introduced to the U.S. market in 1954. Serial numbers from 1954 through 1957 are estimates only."

Since your pistol has a serial number of LESS than 70,000, I think it's safe to say that it was produced prior to 1954.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"The 9mm Hi-Power pistol was introduced to the U.S. market in 1954. Serial numbers from 1954 through 1957 are estimates only."

Since your pistol has a serial number of LESS than 70,000, I think it's safe to say that it was produced prior to 1954.

I'm pretty sure the weapon in question is in Iraq.
Try writing American Rifleman magazine, or Guns and Ammo - they can ID pretty much anything.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try writing American Rifleman magazine, or Guns and Ammo - they can ID pretty much anything.

Yes this pistol was something I found in Iraq, I just wanted to know its history, the guy who had it before we took it away had shot a bunch of people who voted with it, I assume it is probably destroyed right now, but I wish to know where it came from, I will try guns and ammo and American Rifleman.

ETA emailed Guns and Ammo
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And I'm pretty sure that information was not previously disclosed in this thread. Not that it would make any difference. FN doesn't have "special" serial numbers for pistols sold by them and for those sold by Browning. It's still safe to say that it was manufactured prior to 1954. Probably early '50s.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'm pretty sure that information was not previously disclosed in this thread. Not that it would make any difference. FN doesn't have "special" serial numbers for pistols sold by them and for those sold by Browning. It's still safe to say that it was manufactured prior to 1954. Probably early '50s.

before 54 is still 19 years, I would like to get closer to say 1-5. The C spaced out in front of the serial number also may change things.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

before 54 is still 19 years, I would like to get closer to say 1-5. The C spaced out in front of the serial number also may change things.

Now that the other pictures are showing up, I'm going to say this gun falls in the 1969-75 date range since it has the "C" in the serial number and the external extractor (made after 1961). After looking at a few other HPs from that era, I would also say that that gun was made in 1974 or 1975.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top