Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 11:39:24 AM EDT
If so, how do you like it?  Holster recommendations?  Any other advice?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I started to carry a Hi-power again this year after carrying a Glock 23 for most of a decade. Other than the fact that it could be a bit lighter in weight, the P-35 is one of the nicest mid sized pistols to carry concealed. I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and one of Sparks belts.  Since it is an all steel pistol a good belt is very important.  I feed it Winchester white box from Wal-Mart and use Speers 124gr Gold Dot +P for carry.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I started to carry a Hi-power again this year after carrying a Glock 23 for most of a decade. Other than the fact that it could be a bit lighter in weight, the P-35 is one of the nicest mid sized pistols to carry concealed. I use a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 and one of Sparks belts.  Since it is an all steel pistol a good belt is very important.  I feed it Winchester white box from Wal-Mart and use Speers 124gr Gold Dot +P for carry.  

I am curious , why after so long did you change from a Glock.  The glock is one I was considering as an alternative to the HP for carry.  I feel a double action auto may be better that both, but dont have enough experience with handguns to know for sure.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The Glock worked well for me, but I carried it for so long it was time for a change, that and I wanted a semi-custom classic pistol. Also 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 40s&w, 45acp or 9x23 and the Hi-power is one of the best 9mms. In my experience as a shooter and an RO the single action pistol (1911/P-35) is the easiest to obtain good solid hits with.  Browning got it right.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been carrying a .40 BHP as my main CCW piece for about 7 years now.  I really like it.  It's the most reliable, accurate semi-auto I've ever owned.  Between my 3 HiPowers, I've got probably 30,000 rounds, and NOT ONE SINGLE JAM EVER!!!!!  Of course I keep them clean, which I'm sure helps.  I will never carry another pistol.  I carry in a Kramer holster, strong side.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a BHP when travelling in other states.  I personally carry in a Kydex holster that a friend made for me that puts the gun canted slightly muzzle forward, and I wear it on the strong side, appendix style.  I'm giving my wife the chance to order a special holster for me, and if she doesn't, I'm getting one myself.  It's a Garrity Gunleather Changeling.  I love that holster.

www.garritysgunleather.com/IWBHolsters.htm

www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Garrity%20Gunleather%20Holster.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Cant get a CCW permit for Hawaii, its booty.  If I could I definitely would carry a HiPower.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#7]
My MkII 9mm Hi-Power was what I carried since I got my permit, up until about 2 years ago; but since putting it through C&S I decided to relegate it to the "nice-to-have" status of not carrying it. I've now get enough invested in it that 1) I didn't want to wreck it with body oils/sweat because I run hot and I didn't want to wreck the finish and 2) If I ever had to use it I didn't want such a beautiful piece getting confiscated, because I'd probably never see it again! I now carry my G19 and, by comparison, the G19 I had to get used to because the Hi-Power was slimmer and carried better as a result. When I carried my Hi-Power I carried Winchester RA9T. I now carry my G19 with Winchester RA9TA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The P35's quite easy to conceal. It's slender slide fits easier into an IWB. I use either a Galco NSA II or the SkyOps. Not an exact fit (since it's made to fit a 5" 1911), but it's good and discreet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
When I carry my Browning Mk III in .40 caliber, it's in the Safariland Model 560 that I can also use for my CZ 75Bs.

Model 560

--
Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry either my Colt 1911 or Browning Hi-Power most of the time when I carry.  Either works fine and shoots well.  Even though I am a big 1911 fan, I don't feel undergunned with the Hi-Power at all.  

Ron
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I finally broke down and bought the Garrity Changeling for my Hi-Power.  I met Mr. Garrity in person, and he's a very humble, down to earth guy.  Pictures cannot do this holster justice, and the workmanship is far better than the asking price.  

This guy reminds me of Chuck Rogers, the gunsmith, about 5 years ago.  Chuck was relatively unknown, and due to the peerless level of his craftsmanship, he was truly a "best kept secret" in the 1911 world.  Mark Garrity is the same thing to the holster world.  Plenty of holster connesieurs know of him, but the general public doesn't.  This holster is perhaps the nicest holster I've ever picked up.  His prices are very low considering the level of workmanship.  Also, he knows what works for concealed carry.  Every holster I have ever seen for IWB that was adjustable for cant was bulky.  Not so with this one.  Here's a pic, but I just cannot get a good picture with my cheapy camera.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Man I would love to carry one of my BHPs!

But here in Florida I almost never wear a jacket.  High temps and high humidity.

So I settle for a P40 in my pocket.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Man I would love to carry one of my BHPs!

But here in Florida I almost never wear a jacket.  High temps and high humidity.

So I settle for a P40 in my pocket.

Luckily, we dont have any of that heat and humidity stuff you were talking about in Louisiana

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice thing about that Changeling holster and appendix carry is that I can carry in shorts and a tank top.  The gun sits low, and the grip is right along my belt line.  It doesn't print, and I can move around, pick things up, etc.  Heck, it's not even noticeable if I give someone a hug.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top