Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 12:56:29 AM EDT
is there any difference in quality of the new ones vs. the older model assuming you can get one NIB.
I noticed it says made in Belgium but assembled in Portugal
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quality difference? Nah.

The old timers who are really into gun buying/trading don't like the new ones as well, simply because they are associated with Portugal. But they work just as well as far as I can tell.

BTW, where does FN produce their new Hi-Powers? Are they produced in Portugal too or just the ones sold under the Browning name? This might be another option.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Do these ever show up as C&R ? [the old ones]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Should I be a purist and get it in 9mm or sacrilege and get one in .40 S&W?
Sorry, get both is not a option at this time
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would stick with the 9mm, it was designed around it. Plenty of .40s out there.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine was made in 1944 under the Nazi occupation. Looks and shoots great. Get the 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#7]
CDNN has the FN Branded 9mms for $400.  The Browning Branded pistols were made out of the same components but assembled in Portugal.  The finish is different on the two, matte on the FN and black baked enamel over Parkerizing on the Browning.  Only a cosmetic difference, they're both made out of parts made by FN in Belguim.

I have both the 9mm and the .40S&W.  If you can have only one, get the 9mm.  It's the classic Hi Power and maybe the best pistol for rapid fire work.

But definitely get one.  FN is stopping production, so pretty soon you'll only be able to get a clone new.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a fixed sight MKIII model and just make sure it says Browning or FN on the side.

You wont be disappointed.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a HP in 9mm a few months ago to replace one I foolishly sold way back. Since then my Sig and Glock have been gathering dust. I've really had a blast with the Wally World FMJs. Cheap to shoot and just a lot of fun to shoot. My oldest daughter wants to go with me soon and I think she'll have a great time with it.

+1 on 9mm. What it was designed for. plenty of .40s out there, but only one Hi Power.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a HP in 9mm, .357sig, and 40S&W.

Like 'em all.

I'd get the 9mm if I were you.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a MKIII and it was a very smoth shooting pistol.

I traded it on a Hk USP, but sometime regret that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get a fixed sight MKIII model and just make sure it says Browning or FN on the side.

members.cox.net/vseven/Browning%20MkIII.jpg

Don't get an FN-marked hi-power!  I bought one new in the box, and the finish was PAINTED on!  I swear to you I am not making this up.  I know because chips of paint came off from scratching against my belt buckle! (Yes, I carry Mexican style sometimes)

ETA:  The Hi-Power was designed as a 9mm, and it just isn't right to own one in .40.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get an FN-marked hi-power!  I bought one new in the box, and the finish was PAINTED on!  I swear to you I am not making this up.  I know because chips of paint came off from scratching against my belt buckle! (Yes, I carry Mexican style sometimes)

ETA:  The Hi-Power was designed as a 9mm, and it just isn't right to own one in .40.

News flash, the Browning MKIII's are baked enamel finish too.  What finish WOULD hold up to constant metal to metal contact???  

You're carrying a cocked and locked pistol without a holster, shoved in your pants pointing at Jim and the Twins?  How the hell do you sit down?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I recently got a Portugal Assembled Hi-Power Standard in .40.  (Replacing one I foolishly sold a long time ago, underlining callgood's comment)  quality and finish are excellent, and on a par with the full Belgian ones.  The .40 is at least built stronger than the 9's (old and new).  Of course, with my sickness, I'll probably have to have a 9, too.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

News flash, the Browning MKIII's are baked enamel finish too.  What finish WOULD hold up to constant metal to metal contact???  

You're carrying a cocked and locked pistol without a holster, shoved in your pants pointing at Jim and the Twins?  How the hell do you sit down?

I have an older blued hi-power, not a MKIII, and the Silverchrome (with that stupid gold trigger).  Didn't know the Browning marked ones had the enamel finish too.  I only tuck my pistol in at 12 O' clock as I exit my truck (to enter the house without my pistol showing), I usually keep it in the pocket of my door while I drive.  I have pinched my ballbag a few times sitting down though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
sex change by browning
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I would definitely practice racking the slide on the draw, I dont have the nuts to spare carrying cocked and locked in that position.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:35:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Nothing wrong with Assembled in Portugal products.  A number of 'upscale' European manufacturers have had assembly facilities in Portugal for a long time.  Leica and Grundig are two that come immediately to mind.  It allows EU countries to avoid the insanely high labor costs in their own countries.  The Portugese labor force is well educated and hard working, and they work for less.  However, with Portugal joining the EU and adopting the Euro that advantage will go away.  That's why more and more production is shifting to China.  I don't see FN out-sourcing firearms production to China (although I'm sure they would do a good job).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:46:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm hesitating on getting one cause the 3 I looked at had really crappy triggers.
2 where used and one was new. Any ideas or should I get it anyway and have a trigger job done on it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends what you mean by "crappy."  If they are gritty or have creep, much of that can be dealt with.  But, they are generally designed to be heavy - military specs., etc.  Yes, springs can be lightened to a certain degree, but then one crosses over a reliability threshold.  There's only so much that can be done because of the design of the trigger, and they are not as "tweakable" as a 1911.  But, a heavy trigger in a single action semiauto is not a bad thing, it's just how heavy.  I believe they are generally in the 8 lb range, and you might be able to get them to 6 l;b and smooth, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I believe they are generally in the 8 lb range, and you might be able to get them to 6 l;b and smooth, but that's about it.

I have felt and shot 4-5lb measured trigger pulls on hi-powers tuned by Bill Laughridge and Wayne Novak.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I believe they are generally in the 8 lb range, and you might be able to get them to 6 l;b and smooth, but that's about it.

I have felt and shot 4-5lb measured trigger pulls on hi-powers tuned by Bill Laughridge and Wayne Novak.

Yep.  Most seem only to be able to do around 6, but a few who are really good, like the ones you mentioned, can do better.  Just by coincidence, I just got a 9 mm which had been done over by Coogin here in FL. And, though I haven't measured it, it sure feels like it's no higher that 4.  So, you are correct.  But, a lot of work was done on it.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:34:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey Lumpy- what grips are those on your P35?  I think I'd like to get a pair for my gun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have the cash, get one in 40 and convert it to 9.  The parts on the 40 are beefed up just a bit and it will improve the reliability/durability of the weapon greatly.

The HiPower is still the most natural pointing pistol I have ever owned.  I wish I had kept mine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Mines Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal, and I love it!

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you have the cash, get one in 40 and convert it to 9.  The parts on the 40 are beefed up just a bit and it will improve the reliability/durability of the weapon greatly.

The HiPower is still the most natural pointing pistol I have ever owned.  I wish I had kept mine.

Who would do the conversion?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have a HP in 9mm, .357sig, and 40S&W.

Like 'em all.

I'd get the 9mm if I were you.

May I ask where you got the .357 barrel?  I'm assuming it's a drop-in on a .40 HP.  I looked at Bar-Sto and they said no .357 barrels.  

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cylinder and Slide does amazing Hipowers, but most, if not all, gunsmiths that do HiPowers have done or are doing 40/9 conversions due to the beef up.  I believe Power Custom, NOvak and Barsto have the requisite parts.  The big thing is that the 40s converted can handle all the +P+ loads without destroying the gun.  I love the HiPower but some of its parts (extractor especially) are too delicate.  The Cylinder & Slide safety levers also make the standard, nearly-unusable HP safety functional.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cylinder and Slide does amazing Hipowers, but most, if not all, gunsmiths that do HiPowers have done or are doing 40/9 conversions due to the beef up.  I believe Power Custom, NOvak and Barsto have the requisite parts.  The big thing is that the 40s converted can handle all the +P+ loads without destroying the gun.  I love the HiPower but some of its parts (extractor especially) are too delicate.  The Cylinder & Slide safety levers also make the standard, nearly-unusable HP safety functional.

What does that conversion usually run?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#33]
CDNN has Hi-Powers on two pages, 6 and 7. Other than the lanyard rings and finish what is the difference between these? I am assuming that the ones on 6 with the lanyard rings are from some military contract while the ones on page 7 are civilian production.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

No. They were not made before 1899.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are some Hi-Powers on the C&R list, a firearm being made before 1899 has nothing to do with the C&R 03 license.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect. Anything 50 years old or older is automatically C&R.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
CDNN has the FN Branded 9mms for $400.  The Browning Branded pistols were made out of the same components but assembled in Portugal.  The finish is different on the two, matte on the FN and black baked enamel over Parkerizing on the Browning.  Only a cosmetic difference, they're both made out of parts made by FN in Belguim.

I have both the 9mm and the .40S&W.  If you can have only one, get the 9mm.  It's the classic Hi Power and maybe the best pistol for rapid fire work.

But definitely get one.  FN is stopping production, so pretty soon you'll only be able to get a clone new.

This is just not true. I have both FN-marked and Browning-marked HPs (matte finished MKIIIs). The finish is the same and they are both made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

The latest round of FN-marked guns were part of FN's grand plans to make Browning its "sporting" firearms branch and FNHUSA its "police" weapons branch. Needless to say, the firearms that'd been traditionally sold under the Browning moniker did not sell as well under a "new" name.

FN is not "stopping production" on anything. How do these internet rumors get started?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#38]
It's all a scare tactic towards the consumer so that the vendor can sell off their overstock at a decent price.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I suspect the "Browning" marked pistols will cease, and FN will continue.  They seem pretty much the same, mechanically, though I can't vouch for it, not having made a detailed comparison.  But, if you have ever looked at a Browning and an FN side by side, there is no comparison.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I suspect the "Browning" marked pistols will cease, and FN will continue.

You suspect wrong. FNHUSA's web page indicates that they have discontinued selling 9mm HPs and .40S&W versions are subject to stock on hand.

Quoted:
They seem pretty much the same, mechanically, though I can't vouch for it, not having made a detailed comparison.

They are the same. I have both.

Quoted:
But, if you have ever looked at a Browning and an FN side by side, there is no comparison.

So which is it? Have you or haven't you compared FN-marked and Browning-marked HPs? On the one hand you claim to have never made a "detailed comparison," yet you later claim there is "no comparison." Can't have it both ways, sport. I have both FN- and Browning-marked Mark III HPs and I can tell you there is no difference in the fit or finish of the two.

Maybe you're just sour grapes over the guys buying Hi Powers for $400 when you gave $600 for yours.

Life is tough. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I disagree. Unless you plan on futilely attempting to re-use that bastard of a recoil spring from the .40 S&W versions or have a 9mm barrel custom made to fit the .40 S&W slide, there are no differences in the parts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Ted Yost can make a 4# BHP trigger with a 1911-like reset.

Yost-Bonitz would definitely be my choice for BHP work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Ted Yost can make a 4# BHP trigger with a 1911-like reset.

Yost-Bonitz would definitely be my choice for BHP work.

Ted Yost is who I've had work over my HPs. Not fast, but very much worth the wait.

And for the sour grapes girls, Mr. Yost says there are no differences in FN-marked and Browning-marked HPs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It's all a scare tactic towards the consumer so that the vendor can sell off their overstock at a decent price.  

If it was a scare tactic then why sell them cheap.????? CDNN buys in bulk and if FN can move several hundred at a time and not one here and one there then they'll give a dealer a good price even cost, so CDNN can turn around and pass the savings onto the consumer. Just remember one other thing CDNN sell to stores for the same price they sell to private individuals. So from a store there would be a at least $50.00-$100.00 markup. You do the math.

I was at the 2005 shot show and spoke with the Reps from FN, specifically from their marketing devision. I was informed of the decision by FN to phase out the Hi-Power because they were too expensive to produce anymore to be competitive with other MFG's. Everything now is geared towards militarty contracts (which FN has always in business for) and LEO contracts. To keep the HiPower in production today they would be selling retail for $800-1000.00 minimum, but it's the market that dictates what they produce.  There is little call for the HP anymore. FN can't afford not to go forward with newer guns that are cheaper to mass produce and be competitive with the rest of the industry.

The Hi-Power is 70yrs old and has seen it's day. Yeah there's quite a few of us who are die hard HP lovers, but it's not enough because we can get all the HP's we want for years to come with tens of thousands of new and used HP's available out there plus more imports coming in all the time from surplus dealers who've bought stock piles of military guns, as various countries modernize their firearms and they're not buying HP's. That's why FN has made it's decision, because they can't stay in business based on sentimentality. But on the need to go forward. The HP has had  a great history from the day it came into production in 1935. And it will continue to be a symbol of quality strength, style and beauty for many, many years to come as long as there are groups like us to keep it that way.

How long before the last of the new HP's are gone? I don't know. Maybe a couple of years give or take. And maybe someone will decide to start making them locally like Kimber or SA or Wilson do with 1911's in a custom high end. Charles Daly Co. is or was doing it but they've been bought out buy CZ so who knows where that will go. So it's time to stop being in denial about this because you don't want to except the inevitable truth that there will be an end. But the HP will still be around for another 70 years and be regarded along with the Colt Peacemaker, the 1911A1, the Winchester '94 and the Browning BAR. And our kids and their kids will be discussing them (hopefully) as we are today.

Well I think I blown enough smoke up everyones hoop skirt  for now.

RC

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I was at the 2005 shot show and spoke with the Reps from FN, specifically from their marketing devision. I was informed of the decision by FN to phase out the Hi-Power because they were too expensive to produce anymore to be competitive with other MFG's. Everything now is geared towards militarty contracts (which FN has always in business for) and LEO contracts. To keep the HiPower in production today they would be selling retail for $800-1000.00 minimum, but it's the market that dictates what they produce.  There is little call for the HP anymore. FN can't afford not to go forward with newer guns that are cheaper to mass produce and be competitive with the rest of the industry.

Except FN isn't going to stop producing the Hi Power. They're changing their marketing focus.

From an email sent by Ken Flood, FNHUSA regional sales manager:

"At the price we are forced to sell it at, it just does not move out of inventory. Browning might continue to offer Hi Powers in their line. The pistol will still be production in Belgium."

handgunsandammo.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=fnhipower&action=display&thread=1125729737

I don't think everyone understands that CDNN is like the "Big Lots" of firearms; i.e., they spend a lot of time buying up old inventories at pennies on the dollar. It's what they do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except FN isn't going to stop producing the Hi Power. They're changing their marketing focus.

From an email sent by Ken Flood, FNHUSA regional sales manager:

"At the price we are forced to sell it at, it just does not move out of inventory. Browning might continue to offer Hi Powers in their line. The pistol will still be production in Belgium."

handgunsandammo.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=fnhipower&action=display&thread=1125729737

I don't think everyone understands that CDNN is like the "Big Lots" of firearms; i.e., they spend a lot of time buying up old inventories at pennies on the dollar. It's what they do.

I emailed Regional Sales Manager Ken Flood at FNH USA to ask why it was being discontinued, here's his response:

At the price we are forced to sell it at, it just does not move out of inventory. Browning might continue of offer Hi Powers in their line. The pistol will still be production in Belgium. I agree ti is a great gun but at $800 retail, it just doesn't sell.

Ken Flood

That's the full answer from Ken Flood from the thread you posted, and it states that they can't sell it here and that also means that Browning regardless of what they say aren't selling to many of there own stamped guns. They might continue to order them. And that's fine but, I've know several people who've wanted to purchase a specific model from Browing just to be told they were out of stock (or no longer available) and didn't know when the would replensish their stock. Also they seem to be leaning more to their long guns, shotguns and plinker type pistols and not the HP (the jury is still out on that one). Now believe what you want and we do agree on most of the replies to other posts but what was told me was not a rumor and was at the time the plans of FNUSA. And to my knowledge still is. Also if FN is supposedly using local labor force again the mfg cost of the HP will indead increase and be passed on to the consumer. I still refer to one realistic "truth" the market for the HP is thining out as newer developements in firearms style and make are made available, tastes change. And the price will increase with new imports (if any) of the Browning HP.

As for CDNN buying up huge lots for pennies on the dollar that is true but the FN HP's are not old stock with their "FN" logo on them they were the latest and last HP's FNUSA has brought in.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
That's the full answer from Ken Flood from the thread you posted, and it states that they can't sell it here and that also means that Browning regardless of what they say aren't selling to many of there own stamped guns. They might continue to order them. And that's fine but, I've know several people who've wanted to purchase a specific model from Browing just to be told they were out of stock (or no longer available) and didn't know when the would replensish their stock.

This is nothing new for Browning/Winchester/USRA: they go through cycles of advertising products that aren't available and then releasing a very small number for sale. They've done this with their Gold shotguns, left-handed Model 70 rifles, etc. I'm not surprised that they're doing it with the Hi Power. As I've noticed from Browning's past trends, after the current crop of "cheap" Hi Powers is gone, the Browning-marked guns will re-appear at a higher price tag (Bass Pro Shops is already selling Mark IIIs for a little over $700). However, in the case of the Hi Power, I'm of the thinking that it's getting harder and harder for FN to compete against the cheaper Eastern European and Argentinian imports.

Quoted:
As for CDNN buying up huge lots for pennies on the dollar that is true but the FN HP's are not old stock with their "FN" logo on them they were the latest and last HP's FNUSA has brought in.

It was my understanding that CDNN bought these from a distributor/dealer that went belly-up, as they do with the majority of the items that they sell.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:58:35 AM EDT
[#48]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I like the .40, but I like my Hi-Powers in 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Why not both?  At the price CDNN is charging, it wouldn't be that difficult.  :)

--
Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top