Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 7:36:12 PM EDT
Does anyone make better sites that fit the slide without a bunch of expensive work?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
MKI/II slides need to be dovetailed, you can buy sight sets for MKIII slides.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
How do I tell which "MK" I have?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#3]
In short:

Classic Hi Power, small sights, no internal firing pin safety humped barrel feed ramp.

MK 11 first did not have the internal firing pin safety, generally parkerized finish in either black or dark green, larger rear sight
a more pronounced barrel bushing which extends from the slide 1/8", ambidextrous thumb safety.

MK111  No rib on the top of the slide, bushing protrudes less from the slide and nearly flush.  larger front and rear sights dovetailed into the slide. more squared ejection port.

Cast frame MK111's were started in '93 with the advant of .40 cal.  These are recognized by lines on butt of the magazine well.

Hope that helps a little.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MK 11 first did not have the internal firing pin safety, generally parkerized finish in either black or dark green, larger rear sight
a more pronounced barrel bushing which extends from the slide 1/8", ambidextrous thumb safety.
View Quote
Some of the later classic MKII Hi-Powers with full rib on on top of slide and drain hole did have the passive firing pin lock. I own one. Starting serial no. 245PP (1988). Just for your information.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the tiny sites, humped feed ramp, don't know about the firing pin, says browning arms company St. Louis mo Montreal p.q made in Belgium on the left of the slide.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have the tiny sites, humped feed ramp, don't know about the firing pin, says browning arms company St. Louis mo Montreal p.q made in Belgium on the left of the slide.
View Quote
Your pre MKII BHP does not have the passive firing pin block. There was never a Browning Hi-Power designated the MKI. Only the WWII produced Canadian Inglis used the No.I MKI & No.2 MKI. OGBleedmore,  you can go to the Browning website and date your Hi-Power under the support heading. Let us know what you find out!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Short answer is no.  Bite the bullet and send it off for Novak sights.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, according to the browning site it was manufactured in '68, I have not fired it yet to see if it needs new springs, the current recoil spring is stiff as well as the extraction spring.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, according to the browning site it was manufactured in '68, I have not fired it yet to see if it needs new springs, the current recoil spring is stiff as well as the extraction spring.
View Quote
If your pistol was manufactured in1968, I assume it's a T Series  (serial no. starts with a T). A excellent condition T Series unaltered can bring a premium. What is the condition of your Hi-Power OGBLEEDMORE? If you haven't fired this pistol yet, a new recoil spring would be in order.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#10]
The serial number does start with a T, I would say it's in fair condition, the slide as light pitting around the front of the slide and the blue on the slide looks faded or at least..it's not as dark as the frame. It is unaltered however and has the red back grips, I don't know if those are original to the gun, it came with the manual and a browning zipper case, I would post pics if I wasn't on my iPhone , if anyone wants to host pics I can email them, guess I should change my title to "What kind of hi power do I have".

The mags appear to be original as well, both are parkerized looking and are 13 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The serial number does start with a T, I would say it's in fair condition, the slide as light pitting around the front of the slide and the blue on the slide looks faded or at least..it's not as dark as the frame. It is unaltered however and has the red back grips, I don't know if those are original to the gun, it came with the manual and a browning zipper case, I would post pics if I wasn't on my iPhone , if anyone wants to host pics I can email them, guess I should change my title to "What kind of hi power do I have".

The mags appear to be original as well, both are parkerized looking and are 13 rounds.
View Quote
Yes, a T Series Hi-Power. Cool. With pitting and faded bluing from carry I assume does hinder it's value. But it's still a desirable T. The black Browning zippered case alone is over $100 and still climbing. Crazy. And the T series came with walnut checkered grips that were painted red on the inside. Honestly, I wouldn't change out the small original sights you have. It will take away the value of the pistol. Change out the recoil spring and shoot it. Maybe today I can post some pictures of my 1968 T still in black pouch w/owners manual. Yes, your heading should of been what type of Browning Hi-Power do I have.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]
1968 T Series. The shade difference on right side front of slide is from my poor photography skills. It's a dark blue like rest of pistol. Sorry.

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
That's exactly what mine looks like accept yours is in way better condition lol, crazy that a zippered case is $100, I'd sell it quick for that, my manual looks different from yours though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top