Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2013 11:56:25 AM EDT
I had recently bought two mint examples of some Mosin Nagant rifles from Cole's and decided to grab another FEG since they listed some up as I was paying for the two rifles I bought (they combine shipping). This is one of the counterfeit FEG's. For $209 this is the best money I've ever spent on a pistol. This one has an FN MKIII hammer and a real MKIII barrel that has a mint, like new bore. slide doesn't match the frame. Trigger is not bad for still having the mag safety installed. This one may be a candidate for some Novak sights. I just may grab another.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice catch.  

I just sold a FEG with a beautiful blue finish for $350, but kept my "real" BHP.  Even though I haven't shot it but  once in a few years, I can't bear to part with it.  Nothing at all wrong with the FEG and at that price it is a solid purchase.

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice score. (what an awesome price for what you got)

I messed around waiting for a like new blued FEG to go on clearance, it was $375 and I should have bought it when I had the chance...it's long gone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Just curious,

They describe the bore as "good". I've also seen them use "very good" and "Excellent".

So what does a "good" bore look like?

Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
That's not an FEG.

It's an FN (Fabrique Nationale).
Actual Brownings are FN's with a different roll mark,

What you have there is the real deal.
Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's not an FEG.

It's an FN (Fabrique Nationale).
Actual Brownings are FN's with a different roll mark,

What you have there is the real deal.
Congrats!
View Quote

L prefix, lack of thumb print on other side of the slide, and 5 digit number indicate FEG manufacture.

FEG made these pistols for a middle eastern customer who FN wouldn't sell to. The customer requested that FEG replace their factory stampings with FN stampings.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

L prefix, lack of thumb print on other side of the slide, and 5 digit number indicate FEG manufacture.

FEG made these pistols for a middle eastern customer who FN wouldn't sell to. The customer requested that FEG replace their factory stampings with FN stampings.
View Quote

What?
That's crazy.  How did FN not go apeshit?
As for the SN, FN serial numbers are all over the board and notoriously tough to date and verify due to the multitude of contract runs for............. well, everybody.

I'm not disputing what you said as I have no basis on which to refute it but the rollmark thing is mind boggling.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What?
As for the SN, FN serial numbers are all over the board and notoriously tough to date and verify due to the multitude of contract runs for............. well, everybody.

I'm not disputing what you said as I have no basis on which to refute it but the rollmark thing is mind boggling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

He's right, it's a counterfeit. Cole's has had quite a few of these lately. FN never used a letter followed by 5 digit number, except some of the early post-war models. Those would all have the internal extractor.

I've got a half-dozen, and though they are great guns for the price, they aren't as nice as a real FN. I'm perfectly happy to own any and all Hi-Powers, however, regardless of manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

These were produced in secrecy when the Iron curtain was still up.

I don't even know if FN is aware that these were produced, and I honestly don't see how they got away with importing such a thing to the United States.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't even know if FN is aware that these were produced, and I honestly don't see how they got away with importing such a thing to the United States.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

I see a big issue with these once they are on the private market.  People selling them as real FN.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I see a big issue with these once they are on the private market.  People selling them as real FN.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

Exactly.

I received mine today, it's a dead ringer for a real FN. It's a T prefix serial number with an external extractor and has FN proofs all over it. There's also a star of david stamped on the trigger guard. All numbers match.

For anyone wondering the "good" bore in my pistol looks brand new. Everything is fitted correctly and it passes the click test.  Mine was supplied with a 13 round magazine.

For $229.00 I'm not complaining. I can't afford a real FN so one that looks like one is the next best thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag! Ordered one from Mr. Cole a few days ago, for my first foray into Hi Power territory.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Got mine in, cleaned it up (added new springs & mags, painted front sight), and ran ~200 rounds (WWB) thru it when I got the chance. Flawless, except when I let my thumbs wander too high and engage the slide stop. Fits my hands beautifully, and with the shorter grip is even a little easier to conceal than my 1911. All in all, one heck of a bargain!
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Exactly.

I received mine today, it's a dead ringer for a real FN. It's a T prefix serial number with an external extractor and has FN proofs all over it. There's also a star of david stamped on the trigger guard. All numbers match.

For anyone wondering the "good" bore in my pistol looks brand new. Everything is fitted correctly and it passes the click test.  Mine was supplied with a 13 round magazine.

For $229.00 I'm not complaining. I can't afford a real FN so one that looks like one is the next best thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

Exactly.

FWIW : OPs pistol is a "parts pistol"…@ very least, with an FEG/FN counterfeit slide. Yes, FEG did in fact counterfeit the FN BHP. If the frame...which OP says does NOT match SN wise, is a similar "L"...or "B", prefix SN on the frontstrap, the pistol...since the frame IS the pistol, is an “FEG/FN counterfeit parts pistol"...note the Belgian or counterfeit Belgian Liege Final Proof  . The barrel IS a legitimate FN MkIII replacement barrel...note the extractor cut, but the hammer might...or might not be from an FN MkIII. The "spur" hammer was introduce by FN with the Type 71/73 and is the same hammer as also normally found on the later FN MkIII pistols. That hammer would be appropriate for either a legitimate FN Type 71/73 or an FEG frame, but not normally an FEG/FN counterfeit. The FEG/FN counterfeits originally used a ring hammer that...BTW, was inappropriate for the Type 71/73 slide they elected to counterfeit .

And, though the “L” prefix SN...its positions and manner struck, does indicate an FEG pistol with certainty, the lack of a “thumbprint” has nothing to do with the issue. The “thumbprint” was deleted by FN in 1960…even before introduction of the external extractor in 1962. With that said, keep in mind that…as was FN’s well documented custom, FN continued to use up inventory after instituting changes, resulting in BHP pistols with mixed features in the early 1960’s. The FEG/FN counterfeits were produced 30years later.

VSelph: If your “T prefix serial number with an external extractor and has FN proofs all over it” is as you report; “All numbers match” then “it's a dead ringer for a real FN” because IT IS a genuine FN “T” series BHP .....
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I'm well aware mine is a parts pistol. Frame is in fact L prefix and the numbers on the frame match the ones on the barrel. I bought it solely because of the FN barrel, which does make a big difference in my opinion on these pistols. It is a great shooter for $209
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Not knocking your pistol in any way mgwantob, and $209 is great for an unusual version of the BHP...especially since it's a good shooter as well. I paid a lot more for my various FEG pistols, especially the counterfeits. Your OP simply said the slide/frame didn't match without indicating the frame SN, so...based upon the ELG Proof, it could have been a genuine post 1968 FN frame with a counterfeit FEG slide. Glad you're happy with your counterfeit...I would be . Another advantage to your pistol...with the MkIII barrel, is that you've got a hollowpoint friendly feedramp .....
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I just fired my FEG with FN markings for the first time tonight and i could not be happier. Everything functioned fine and was likely more accurate than i. It is with out a doubt the best $219 pistol i have ever bought!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I just bought one of the fake fn,s from coles this past week for $249. The picture shows all matching numbers. But it has no letter prefix in the serial number so I am wondering what I have. Will pick it up from my ffl on Monday. Anybody got any idea what it is.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't mind a $229 FN look-alike!  As long as it functions the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top