Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2011 1:19:19 PM EDT
Greetings,

Some may recall the BHP I came into a couple months ago. Here

The original design is great but for my purposes, it needs some new parts.

My plan is to buy the parts in a couple weeks and sent to a local gunsmith to fit/install parts, cut slide for night sights, bevel the mag well, and re reparkerize the whole thing.

Parts:
Night Sights
No bite hammer and sear
Safety
Wolff Springs
Trigger spring

Current pictures:

More to come so stay tuned!
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Ordered the parts needed! I decided against night sights for various reasons.

I bought Browning made cheapie white dot sights

Rear
Front

Hopefully I can get these to a gunsmith in a few weeks for installation :)

Craig
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I am glad you fell in love with that blood drinking devil!
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am glad you fell in love with that blood drinking devil!

Once the no bite hammer is installed, you will love it when it won't bite you again

Craig
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Your project is coming along nicely craig. I'm looking forward to the final product pictures (then you'll keeping changing like me). Just a tip, you could of saved a few bucks buying your front/rear sights through the Browning Parts Department. Majority of BHP parts are cheaper through Browning. Do a comparison sometime. I'm a firm beliver in using mainly Browning OEM parts. But I do prefer Wolff Gunspring 18.5lb recoil spring & Ex-Power firing pin spring. Other than that go all OEM Browning. Again, nice job!

In the very near future I'll be adding MKII Novak Lo mount sights to my 1967 T series Israeli Police turn in pistol. Not sure what configuration I'll go with yet. Here's a recent picture with new black wood grips recently installed.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your project is coming along nicely craig. I'm looking forward to the final product pictures (then you'll keeping changing like me). Just a tip, you could of saved a few bucks buying your front/rear sights through the Browning Parts Department. Majority of BHP parts are cheaper through Browning. Do a comparison sometime. I'm a firm beliver in using mainly Browning OEM parts. But I do prefer Wolff Gunspring 18.5lb recoil spring & Ex-Power firing pin spring. Other than that go all OEM Browning. Again, nice job!

In the very near future I'll be adding MKII Novak Lo mount sights to my 1967 T series Israeli Police turn in pistol. Not sure what configuration I'll go with yet. Here's a recent picture with new black wood grips recently installed.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/bwagss/IMG_0786.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/bwagss/IMG_0784.jpg

Looks good!

I get a discount with Midway so the prices are only a couple bucks more than Browning. Thanks for the heads up though

Craig
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
So I received my parts today from midway and all is good except the front sight doesn't have the white paint on it. I know adding paint/nail polish would work, however I wouldn't have bought the sight if it didn't come with it.

Anybody bought the sight, can you tell me if the paint was on yours or not?

browning front sight

I checked Browning's website and it doesn't state one way or the other. Midway is researching this and will call me in a few days but I wanted to see what your experiences are.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I received my parts today from midway and all is good except the front sight doesn't have the white paint on it. I know adding paint/nail polish would work, however I wouldn't have bought the sight if it didn't come with it.

Anybody bought the sight, can you tell me if the paint was on yours or not?

browning front sight

I checked Browning's website and it doesn't state one way or the other. Midway is researching this and will call me in a few days but I wanted to see what your experiences are.

Thanks,

Update: So it seems Midway received a batch from Browning without the white dot. I returned the site and ordered one directly from Browning who confirmed the existence of the white dot. I expect to have the new sight in a week or so then off to the smith!

Craig
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Browning sent me a new sight and it has a white dot.

Here are all the items I have for the smith to do work. I will hopefully drop the gun and parts off at the smith on Monday.

Craig
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good so far. How long does your gunsmith estimate it will take.
Link Posted: 11/4/2011 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks good so far. How long does your gunsmith estimate it will take.

he isn't the fastest smith so prolly a couple months lol. i gotta email him tomorrow.

Craig
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I took out my mag safety a month or two ago on my Israeli FN, proceeded to re-instal the trigger spring wrong (over the trigger pin vs under).  
Test firing the gun, I learned that the trigger would fire but not reset.

Went to re-install the trigger (spring under the trigger pin this time) and snapped the spring as I tapped the pin back in.

Ordered 2 more Wolf std trigger springs and a Wolf Hi Power spring kit from Midway (they ship fast!).

Correctly re-installed the new trigger spring yesterday afternoon & changed out the recoil spring.
Note: the std Wolf recoil spring was much longer than the one in the gun, seemed like thinner steel though.

Looked at changing the firing pin spring but decided against it. Once again the spring in the gun is made from a heavier material.

Didn't change any other springs but may take apart the mag release later on.

Test fired the gun out back of the house yesterday - SUCCESS it works.

With the mag safety removed, I'm finding that a mec-gar mag will drop to the end of the magwell and stick there - requiring it to be pulled out.
The surplus mags I have don't drop free at all.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With the mag safety removed, I'm finding that a mec-gar mag will drop to the end of the magwell and stick there - requiring it to be pulled out.

Are the surplus magazines and your frame parkerized?
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My surplus mags and frame are parkerized, and the mag disconnect is still in, and they do the same thing as drobs is reporting.

I'm almost convinced that the only way to get a mag that'll drop free is the mousetrap mags......though the blued mec-gar 15 rounder I just recently obtained seems promising.

OP, are you going to get the hammer rounded down or changed out?  ETA:  Derp.  Just saw the C&S kit in that last picture.  Frankly, I'm a fan of the spur trigger, but to each their own

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I now have three Hi Powers, a standard Mk III, a Practical Mk III and a FEG.  All three have the magazine disconnector removed.  All three will drop Mec-Gars free (smooth blued mags) and the parkerized Browning mags free.  The only mag that won't drop is the rough SOB that came with the FEG.  I figure some quality time with some sandpaper and cold blue will fix that one.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My surplus mags and frame are parkerized, and the mag disconnect is still in, and they do the same thing as drobs is reporting.

I'm almost convinced that the only way to get a mag that'll drop free is the mousetrap mags......though the blued mec-gar 15 rounder I just recently obtained seems promising.

OP, are you going to get the hammer rounded down or changed out?  ETA:  Derp.  Just saw the C&S kit in that last picture.  Frankly, I'm a fan of the spur trigger, but to each their own

i thought about getting a spur but in the end just liked the C&S hammer more, has a more modern yet classic design, imo.

Craig
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun is MK3 FN with that peeling painted black finish.
The surplus mags look to be the original park. They feel wider (thicker steel?) than a blued mec-gar mag.

I originally thought they were hanging on the mag release but now I wonder if there is a bur or peeling paint in the mag well.

Cleaned the gun when I installed the new springs but now I think, I'm going to do a complete tear down on it.

Helps having 2 FNs to compare one to another.

Kinda fun learning on this gun but mine is loose as a goose when the hammer is cocked.
Not sure that I want to put more $ into this rattle trap.

Link Posted: 11/8/2011 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The surplus mags look to be the original park. They feel wider (thicker steel?) than a blued mec-gar mag.

I originally thought they were hanging on the mag release but now I wonder if there is a bur or peeling paint in the mag well.

Cleaned the gun when I installed the new springs but now I think, I'm going to do a complete tear down on it.

Kinda fun learning on this gun but mine is loose as a goose when the hammer is cocked.

I think that it is finish that is inhibiting the magazines from ejecting fully. Unless you want to polish the magazine well and parkerized magazines, just leave it as is.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that it is finish that is inhibiting the magazines from ejecting fully. Unless you want to polish the magazine well and parkerized magazines, just leave it as is.

My second HP had the crappy painted on finish.  Local 'smith beadblasted it and parkerized it; it helped in damn near every respect.  

Pics will be forthcoming by the end of the week, as I've done a few other changes to it, and the last bit's coming in the mail.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2012 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
bump to keep alive.

Smith still has it. No eta bit I knew it would take awhile.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#21]
What if it came pre-pimped from Israel?

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Old Skool tag for progress pics.
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 6:16:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I should have this back next week. Excited!
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I should have this back next week. Excited!

Smith hit a snag. Still waiting

Guy takes his sweet time, but does good work and for a good price.

Craig
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://sadpanda.us/images/823610-923ACPR.jpg

details?

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

details?

Kareen Mk-III. Internally it's all BHP but it has a few alterations. The slide is reminiscent of the 1911 or a more squared Argentine BHP slide. The big, big beavertail is nice as it guarantees protection against hammer bite. Standard with a nice abi safety.

However, the only place advertising them to my knowledge, was SARCO and they sold out last year it seems. I found mine on an auction site, paid about $250 with it. There was rusty lube under most of the controls, there is pitting in the hard chrome of the frame and the slide to frame fit is a little loose. the rifling also looks a bit...soft. But, it still shoots decent and new springs makes it feel alot better. Mine exhibited some FTE due to a worn extractor spring, and I've put a 18.5lb recoil spring to allow safe firing of +P ammo (thought the vast majority will be normal pressure ammo). I plan in future to get the frame stripped and re-chromed and and the slide pinched so it fits better with the frame rails.

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 2:58:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

details?

Kareen Mk-III. Internally it's all BHP but it has a few alterations. The slide is reminiscent of the 1911 or a more squared Argentine BHP slide. The big, big beavertail is nice as it guarantees protection against hammer bite. Standard with a nice abi safety.

However, the only place advertising them to my knowledge, was SARCO and they sold out last year it seems. I found mine on an auction site, paid about $250 with it. There was rusty lube under most of the controls, there is pitting in the hard chrome of the frame and the slide to frame fit is a little loose. the rifling also looks a bit...soft. But, it still shoots decent and new springs makes it feel alot better. Mine exhibited some FTE due to a worn extractor spring, and I've put a 18.5lb recoil spring to allow safe firing of +P ammo (thought the vast majority will be normal pressure ammo). I plan in future to get the frame stripped and re-chromed and and the slide pinched so it fits better with the frame rails.

http://sadpanda.us/images/900918-6SVN7PU.jpg

Beautiful!!!

I may be on the hunt for another High Power in the coming months, cash depending, and hope to get one like that.

Craig
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

details?

http://sadpanda.us/images/900918-6SVN7PU.jpg

Yeah thats kind of neat.

The slide is not for me, but that frame with the built-in beavertail looks useful!
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah thats kind of neat.

The slide is not for me, but that frame with the built-in beavertail looks useful!

There is the Kareen Mk-II that has a slide much more 'BHP' in appearance. And failing that, any BHP slide will work on it.

[NOT MY PHOTO]
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I want that frame
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Bumpage to keep from falling into death.

Still waiting
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Still waiting

Anybody check Sarco recently?

http://e-sarcoinc.com/pistols-2.aspx

Arcus 94s and Israeli Kareen mk-1's in various colors
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, almost looks like an Arcus.

I've never seen much on reviews from the, are the slides and frames interchangeable from an Arcus to a Browning/clone?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah, almost looks like an Arcus.

I've never seen much on reviews from the, are the slides and frames interchangeable from an Arcus to a Browning/clone?

Pretty sure they are so long as you stay SA/SA and DA/DA
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Still waiting

you serious clark?
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 3:14:57 AM EDT
[#36]
JG Sales has the Kareens now for under $300, several versions.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered one from J&G. Patiently waiting for it to come in. I needed a new project gun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#38]
mine shipped from coles today. Can't wait to pick it up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:26:58 AM EDT
[#39]
bumpage. Still waiting :(
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Your pain...I feel it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Still waiting.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Still waiting.

You said it brother
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I still want a Hi Power. Sorry you are waiting so long
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Before:

After:

Can't believe you're still waiting. Time for new gunsmith.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How long have you been waiting
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#46]
tag
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#47]
It's finally done and looks good! Safety is a bit tight but may work out once I shoot it.

Will post pictures tonight
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's finally done and looks good! Safety is a bit tight but may work out once I shoot it.

View Quote

What happen to the pics?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What happen to the pics?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What happen to the pics?
THis.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
THis.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happen to the pics?
THis.

That
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top