Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2004 1:03:50 PM EDT
I recently bought an FN Hi-Power from CDNN investments. I bought the glossy blue model that comes in the MK-III configuration.

I finally took the pistol to the range today, and it performed quite well. I shot Winchester and PMC 9mm ball through the pistol, and all fed reliably. (I don't shoot +P ammo in Hi-Powers, as I believe Novak cautions against doing so...)

The sights were perfectly regulated, allowing me to cut out the X ring of the head of a shilouette target at 10 yards that is slightly larger than a 50 cent piece. This is excellent accuracy considering the heavy trigger on the pistol. The trigger has very little creep, but it does have too much over-travel and a steep poundage on it that makes it difficult to keep the sights still unless you really concentrate.

The hammer, which I was afraid would cut my hands to pieces, was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I was never pinched by the hammer, though it did begin to cut into my skin after a good number of rounds simply because of the force it was being cocked with under recoil. This is pretty amazing considering that the entire rear surface of the pistol is in contact with the web of my hand when I grip the gun. A standard GI 1911 with a spur hammer tears my hands apart, and shooting a Glock always cuts slide tracks into my large hands. I figured the Hi-Power would be even worse, but found that it was not a problem.

I believe that this pistol is capable of being superbly accurate if it had slightly better sights and a much better trigger. Its size is comfortable and its weight makes shooting 9mm ammunition a pleasant experience.  

Overall my experience with the pistol has been pretty positive. As is I believe it will make a great plinker, and a few hundred more rounds through the pistol should lighten and smooth up the trigger some.

It would make a decent carry gun with the addition of some slightly better sights (Like Novaks or Heinies) and a good trigger job. All in all, not a bad purchase for just under 500 dollars. Finding an all steel pistol brand new for under 500 bucks is darn hard these days, and few have the nice level of fit and finish exhibited on my Hi-Power.

A good buy for the money. Dealing with CDNN is one of the best purchase experiences I have ever had. You can't go wrong with them...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Good range report . . .thanks.

Hp's have lots of potential with some customizing  . . . even the trigger can be improved to a degree, just wish there was a way to use a 1911 trigger set up that would really complete this pistol.

CDNN is great to work with and their prices are tops around the country!

RC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top