Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2003 8:44:20 AM EDT
Hello.  I recently bought a used P32 as it seemed a good choice for a BUG.

Is there some trick to firing it?

I found that it's so small I can't really use the tip of my trigger finger to pull the trigger.  I found myself contorting my hand to get the hammer to drop.  At 25 yards, I managed to hit a 5" shoot-n-c target twice out of 16 tries.

Any tips?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a P32 also. The only trick I can give you is shoot at your targets from 7 yds.

Seriously, this type of pistol was not designed to shoot out to 25 yds. It is a close range, last chance weapon.

You should devote your practice to placing shots within 7 yds. If you would ever have to defend yourself, more than likely it will be within this range.

Practice, practice, practice. You will get the feel for the trigger.

Pesonally, I was suprised how well it did shoot within 7 yds. Never bothered to try beyond that.

If you need something to shoot out to 25 yds....well, as they say, wrong tool for the job.

Have fun, shoot safe.
Later
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No kidding!  I wouldn't consider using my P-3AT (virtually identical in size to the P-32) much beyond 25".  That's what it's for.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I'm happy that someone finally responded to my question.

First, a caveat: my pistol range lets you shoot at any distance as long as it's 25 or 50 yards.  

I don't think I'd be in the right to claim defense at 25 yards, I could run away screaming.

The manual says not to dry fire.  The guy in the gun stop said it was OK.  Is it ok to dry fire?

I guess my question is, how do you guys manage to pull the trigger?  I never dry fired in the store; I just pulled back and then relaxed it to see how the trigger pull felt.  My bad.

I was wondering if there was some aftermarket 'thingey' that would allow me to pull the trigger without bunching my hand up -- sort of like those spacers one sees on old revolvers that attach to the front of the grip.  I was thinking of something that would attach to the back that would give more length of pull without bulking up the sides.

Oh, BTW, fizassist, I've got my permit.  Nyah nyah nyah!

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, is it safe to dry fire?  Haven't checked elsewhere online/or with Kel-tec?  If manual says not to...
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh, BTW, fizassist, I've got my permit.  Nyah nyah nyah!

And I just moved to New Mexico; CCW coming in January.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, hey, congrats, fizassist.

So, um, do you like, um, have really small hands?  How do you manage the long trigger pull with the small, flat grips?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Like rexrider says, 7 yards is belly gun range.
Or start off closer and work your way back, if possible.
You may want to check the Kel-Tec lovers website, Ktog.org for some tips or stories.
.32 snap caps are available or EMPTY brass would do in a pinch for some dry firing.
I'll never see CCW here.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So, um, do you like, um, have really small hands?  How do you manage the long trigger pull with the small, flat grips?

How dare you insult the size of my....er....hands?!?

Seriously, though, it is tough to squeeze the trigger.  I end up using the 2nd segment of my index finger.  Even that's cramped, but it requires less contortion than trying to use the pad or the first joint.  With a little practice, you can conquer the tendancy to pull the gun to the side when pulling the trigger.  The biggest difficulty I have is finding a way to hold the gun (especially 2-handed) that doesn't interfere with the right-hand index finger, which protrudes significantly through the trigger guard.  I end up bending my right thumb at a 90 degree angle and tucking it close against the frame.  That gets it out of the way of my trigger finger and lets me pull the trigger.  Same with a 2-hand grip; I fold the left thumb at 90 degrees and tuck it in front of the right thumb.  It's not nearly as natural as a proper grip on a full sized pistol, but it is ok with a little practice.  Fortunately the recoil isn't bad, so a less-than-perfect grip doesn't hurt you too much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:51:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No kidding!  I wouldn't consider using my P-3AT (virtually identical in size to the P-32) much beyond 25".  That's what it's for.

Very true.  I have just average size hands, though certainly not small, and the trigger is just fine.  No, it's not quite as comfortable or natural as on my .45's, but the size of the pistol is compensation for that (note the FL location).

Buy snap-caps for dry firing.  I do that for any gun, whether or not they say dry fire is ok.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How dare you insult the size of my....er....hands?!?

Gosh, I'm sorry.  I would've thought that someone who can do differential calculus wouldn't be bothered by such things.
I'm sure you have very nice hands.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Please note, I CAN ONLY FIRE AT EITHER 25 OR 50 YARDS!  (and yes, I am shouting)

I didn't realize how expensive 32 is.

I was wondering, what if I put my left index finger on the trigger, than use my right index finger to squeeze the trigger?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Find anothter place to shoot it then. 25yds is way to far for the p32.Dont expect much accuracy from it either.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Find anothter place to shoot it then. 25yds is way to far for the p32.Dont expect much accuracy from it either.

i'll second that.
 i love mine, (strictly back up gun)

try this...  if you can keep most of the rounds on a large sized silhouette target at 25., you'll have no trouble using it at the distances it was intended for, (10" to 7 yds.)
it'll probably be a bitch at first, especially with the trigger and the "stack-em" sights, but if ya gotta shot at 25, that's all i can think of.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Keep practicing at 25 until you can find a range which will let you shoot where you want to. The geniuses over law enforcement training in NC have decreed that ANY handgun carried by an officer, on or off-duty, requires that the officer qualify both day & night on the same course used for qualification with his service handgun. That means back to 25 yards on the day course, and 15 yards on the night course....The fact that the officer will only be using the backup gun at virtually arms-length as a last resort weapon is totally over their heads.

So while 25 yard accuracy is nothing to brag about, you can do well enough to pass a qualification course with the P32. And once you do, the shorter range shots will be a piece of cake....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top