Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 8:12:13 AM EDT
Has anybody else noticed a lot of this lately?  I've been involved in several non-Kel-Tec-specific threads where some Kel-Tec model or the other is mentioned and suddenly everybody starts piling on!  I suspect most of these folks have never deigned to shoot or even touch a Kel-Tec before.

I have NEVER personally had a problem with a single Kel-Tec, either as a dealer or as an end consumer.  I have bought and sold dozens over the years with no complaint, and the ones that remain in my personal collection are fine guns.

So, why all the harsh comments?  Snobbery?  Parroting of others opinions?  Or am I the only one who's been happy with Kel-Tec products?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]

I have NEVER personally had a problem with a single Kel-Tec

I don't want to use the word liar, but it comes to mind.  Do you really expect us to believe you have experience with Kel-Tec's and haven't had many problems?  You sound like one of their paid shills.  Their service stinks.  Look at all the posts around, especially on the mailing list and on ktog.org, from people that have had to send their pistols back multiple times.  On mine that's been back twice, they didn't even bother to replace the slide stop spring.  The assembly pin would fall-out when holding the pistol side-ways.  Their pistols are also terribly unreliable.  Out of all the ones I've personally seen at local ranges, I've never seen one that worked without problem.  If they are junk, why not call them that?z
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have NEVER personally had a problem with a single Kel-Tec

I don't want to use the word liar...

Then don't.

I don't work for Kel-Tec & have no reason or incentive to lie on this board about this or anything else.  As a dealer I sold dozens of their products (mostly P-11s) and never had one returned or complained about.  In my personal collection are 2 P-32s, a P-11, a SUB-2000 (mine - takes Glock mags) and a SUB-9 (my wife's - takes S&W mags).  After a proper break-in (yes, I had a few FTF/FTEs with the first few mags through both of the 32s), I've had no problems out of any of these.  Are they $1000 Kimbers?  No.  Nor are they $50 Jennings.

I'd be hesitant about throwing the word "junk" around...

...and even more hesitant about the word "liar."

edited to add:
My best friend is with the local PD here.  They are required to qualify with their back-up weapons and get them approved by the department.  A P-32 has been his "deep backup" gun ever since he first shot & liked mine.  He's on his second one now, only because his wife took over the first one for when she carries her "smaller" purse.  (My wife did likewise - the reason I also now have two...)  He's put a lot more rounds through his than I have mine, and neither of his had to go back to the factory, either.  I am not foolish enough to believe that all examples are as reliable as the ones we have - nor will I believe that we got the only good ones on the planet.  All I can & will speak from here is MY personal experience - not what is being bandied about on this or other boards.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently purchased a P32 and have put approximately 200 rounds through it. I've tried several types of ammo and not one jam! The gun is inexpensive and reliable. I called Kel-Tec directly and ordered a belt clip and extra mag. Both arrive in a very reasonable amount of time. I don't know what more one could ask for. My dealer has sold a ton of them and has reported no issues.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the P40 and here is the breakdown of my experience.

I brought it home and proceeded to jam the barrel and recoil spring during disassembly which locked up the whole firearm. This happened because (I believe) that someone carelessly put the rod and spring in when it was assembled so that when I tried to take it down the guiderod was off it's set spot and then it froze everything in place.

I called and spoke with the smith (Clint?  This was 3 years ago) who tried to tell me how to fix the problem but I was unable to fix it.

That was mostly because I was afraid to break the darn thing trying to fix it.

I sent it to Florida and Keltec turned it around and the mag extension and extra mag in under a week.  That's pretty good considering I had to ship it from Washington State.

When first firing it I found that it had multiple FTF, mostly on the last round but at times any round through either mag.

I also found out it was my fault.  I was limp wristing AND flexing my elbows when I fired it.  That was stealing just too much energy from the recoil and causing the feeding to be intermittent.

I fixed that with more range practice and now I have no trouble with the weapon and carry it concealed during the warmer months when my Taurus is just too bulky for my shirt da jour.

They have stopped making the P40 and it wasn't because of the product's quality but because many people were doing the things I was which caused a large percentage of owners to think they had a bad weapon and ship the things back to Keltec.

They couldn't afford to keep shipping firearms back and forth and giving shooting lessons over the phone for every customer so they killed the line.

I'm going to jump on the P3AT as a deep concealed pistol, most likely around the neck with that neck lanyard for those times I just can't carry inside the waistband.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
P32 and Sub2000

No problems to report - and have to say I am impressed by the sub2K - better gun than I thought it would be.  The P32 has no problems, but I have only fired about 200 rounds through it so far.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a P-32 that has at least a 1000 rounds with out a single failure, They are very thick around this area, and I have a lot of buddys that are LEO's that use these as the last ditch. We have P-32 shoots at the range after we get done shooting our main CCW/ or service pistols and not one of us (at least 6 at the last one) has ever had a failure. We pound the hell out of these cheap pistols and they just keep ticking!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to agree with most of the posts here.  I own a P-32 and a P-11.  For the price (a fraction over $200 each), they are outstanding.  Yes, I did a detailed cleaning and polish with a little jewller's rouge of the slide and feed ramp when I first bought them, and have had NO reliability problems with either gun.  Is either one of them as pretty as my Series 70 Government Model, hell no, but one of these guns is with me ALL the time and yes, I will stake my life on it if need be.  As the old saying goes, you don't need a gun until you need it really bad.  In that situation a Kel Tec P-32 in the pocket, that I am comfortable with and willing to rely on is much better than the Govt Model in the truck because I couldn't conceal it with shorts and a t-shirt on your typical Texas summer afternoon.  Don't think we will ever convince those who don't care for the Kel Tec, but among my acquaintences, there is a growing number who carry one model or the other every day---and most can't wait to get their hands on a P3AT.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm.  

It is my constant carry gun, and has never failed to fire, never failed to lock the slide back on an empty magazine, and never failed to load the next round.

My extra magazines are two S&W M59s, and they work great.  Aftermarket S&W imitations aren't worth a toot in this pistol.

I sent the slide back to KelTec to have Tritium sights installed and that was a ten day turnaround.  Door to door.  Excellent service.

I have never had a problem with this pistol and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone wanting a lightweight compact full house 9mm.

I have spent more money on other pistols, but the P11 is the best bang for the buck.

The only downside is that long heavy trigger pull, but you get used to it with practice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My Kel-Tec sub 2000 has not missed a beat yet!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Evidently Kel-Tec has had some QC problems.
So if you HAD a bad one, they are all bad.
If you HAVE a good one, they are all great.
The P-11 I had was a good one and have no reason to lie about it.
No doubt more than a few folks got some poopers too.
That long heavy trigger pull being described as a downside will still give you a second strike capability, unlike some competitors, if you like that feature.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Evidently Kel-Tec has had some QC problems...

Who hasn't, at some point?  You can't name a single make or model that SOMEONE hasn't had a problem with and will be perfectly willing to bash, no matter how few others may have had similar problems.  I'm not saying Kel-Tec is perfect - I'm saying the majority of their products work fine & they stand behind the ones which don't.

anothergene:  Despite the quote above, this isn't directed at you - I'm just making a general comment.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
bought a p-32 fired 5 rounds f'in thing broke, something about a spring, sent it to KEL-TEC been 4 weeks now, emailed keltec they said it was being worked on...asked about a pocket clip figuring they would give me one for my troubles...they replied 10.50 but well save you shipping and send it with your gun...Personally if it was my company I would give it to the customer installed for him having to send it back after 5 rounds....oh well...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had mixed experiences with Kel-Tec products but all in all for the price these are great little guns. I do not think anyone buying a Kel-Tec should expect the quality out of the box as it's closest competitors that cost roughly twice as much. Yes their QC on new guns was really bad as early as a year ago but they have been listening to their customers and have improved from what I see /hear.

I own 2 P11's and one P3AT. I bout my first P11 about 1 1/2 years ago and experienced FTE's about every 3 or 4 rounds (various types of ammo). After a bit of site browsing I can across a great Kel-Tec owners group site (http://www.ktog.org/) that had a lot of helpfull info. After doing a few simple mods I had this gun working like a champ. I bought my second and did the mods right out of the box (just a simple "fluff and buff" to the chamber. I also added a few performance enhancing things such as Hogue grip, trigger stop, and wide trigger cover). This is my primary CCW pistol now and trust it to be reliable.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been thinking of getting a P11 as a pocket pistol. Aside from kel-tec bashing, any input? Does anyone else carry this in a pocket holster?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I personally think the P11 is a little too large for pocket carry. I carry my P11 in an IWB hoslter that is ver comfortable. In those cases where I cant carry the P11, I turn to a P3AT pocket carry. The P3AT is only slightly larger that the P32 and the fact that it is chambered for the .380 cartridge makes up for the added bulk.

I do feel that if you are not accustommed to Kel-Tec products, you must be warned that they do not come as "finished" as many of their counterparts. The manufacturing process is a bit rougher and the gun might need a little TLC during the break in process. But all in all I stand behind KT 100% as they are relatively inexpensive and you can't beat their customer service and warranties.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:11:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Have a P11. Local FFL said he has sold 14 P32s and 6 P11s to local LEOs and sheriff deputys. (Defiance and Paulding county) 2 P32s were returned for service, the rest had no problems(reported to the FFL). My problem is, past 15yrds, I can't hit even a 15"x20" target board with it. Light weight, functions, handles ok. Jason
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top