Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:28:42 AM EDT
Recently I heard about the "Phantom 5C1 Comp/Flash Hider" so I went price searching for one for my Kel Tec PLR-16.
The lowest price I found ($23) was at a place I had never ran across before and they only charged a DOLLAR shipping.
http://www.eaglefirearms.net/yankee_hill.htm

Truthfully I wasn't expecting a whole lot. The Kel Tec PLR-16 puts out a LOT of flame.
But what that flash hider does is amazing.

Here's what I did.
I set up the video camera and took multiple pictures of the KT PLR shooting Russian Silver Bear, Russian Wolf, South African FMJ and my hand loads.

First with the flash hider installed. Right away I could see there was no (normal) flash.

Then with the flash hider removed. BIG FLASH.

Then I reinstalled the flash hider. No flash. No flame at all, that could be seen coming from the flash hider.

Below are three representative "capture" pictures from the many frames of the gun being fired with and without the flash hider. The pictures are exactly what is taking place and was duplicated over and over.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/PLRflashhider.jpg

Without the flash hider.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/PLRwithoutflashhider.jpg

With the flash hider.  Yes the gun is firing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/PLRwithflashhider.jpg

A close up shot.  I'd like to know how this flash hider works this well, when others that look a lot like it do little to stop the flash.  
When we ran several more magazines through the gun yesterday, a friend said, I see it but I don't believe it.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/PLRFHcloseup3.jpg

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool pics.  I don't have the answer to your question, but am interested in reading it also.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no expert on flash hiders, but as far as i understand it the flash hider hides the flash by trying to rapidly cool the expelled gasses and unburnt powder to the point that they don't ignite.

I suspect that all those grooves may act like a heat-sink and help cool the gasses to the point that they don't ignite the unburnt powder.

PS here's some more info en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_suppressor

very cool closeup picture BTW
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a good read.

That close up of the flash hider is a "capture" from the video, as are the other two small pictures.  
It's surprising how good it looks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome pics. I love the Phantom on my M4.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]
wow! i've never seen a FH glow like that!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
wow! i've never seen a FH glow like that!

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's glowing.  As in the metal of the flash hider has been heated to the point that it is glowing.  I think what you're seeing is the moment of firing and the tiny amount of flame that is being emitted from the slots.

All in all, extremely impressive.  I have a Phantom on my Bushmaster.  I've been considering getting a PLR-16 and putting a Phantom on it.  This thread is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks M2Carbine!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Phantoms are awesome. I use a 5C2 flash hider/comp on my carbine. It also makes a good impact device.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:41:11 AM EDT
[#9]
The threading on my PLR is a bit too long for a Vortex to screw down all the way.  Did you have to use some sort of space to get the Phantom to index correctly?  If so, what did you use?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The threading on my PLR is a bit too long for a Vortex to screw down all the way.  Did you have to use some sort of space to get the Phantom to index correctly?  If so, what did you use?

You need to use a crush or peel washer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is what a Kel-Tec employee (KTWM) had to say about this on one of the other forums:

Any 1/2-28 threaded attachment will fit. most AR-15 types are 1/2-28 threaded. You may need to double up on the washer since the threads are long on the PLR, unless the brake you get uses a lock-nut, instead of a crush or lock washer.

Note that the poster was not just an employee, but one who played a big role in the development of the PLR-16.

LINK
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Note that the poster was not just an employee, but one who played a big role in the development of the PLR-16.

The_Beer_Slayer unknowing did as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top