Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT
Picked mine up on Sunday. Did the F&B today, then headed for the range. 150 rds downrange in a half hour.

First 100 rds was WWB jacketed flat nose, total 2 failures. First was a double feed, about round 4. I started to wonder... is this gonna be...... hell no! Next failure was the ammo. Primer dinged nicely (at first I thought maybe a light strike, but after closer examination, and after running it through again, it would not fire. BIG dent in primer, so I chalk this one up to the ammo.

Next 50 rounds were Winchester Ranger T hollow point. Flawless. Took it home, cleaned and lubed, loaded it up  into a Desantis Nemesis (will be looking for another holster, not crazy about this one, seems a bit "thick" for such a thin gun) and stuffed in my jacket as a backup for my 1911.

I think I'm gonna like this little pocket rocket.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your new 380.

There are a number of good pocket holsters out there and IWBs work very well for these small guns.  I use a P32 in a Mr Softy Highnoon Holsters for my IWB duty and the pocket is a cheap UM #4 pocket holster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad you like it. I love mine it is my primary carry. I know its only a .380 but I always have it with me.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Until Monday, Mine was my primary carry. Monday I tested some Mag-Safe Defender ammo I purchased with the gun some time early last year.  First shot, the back of the shell blew out and welded itself to the feed ramp. The bullet DID clear the barrel, but a large amount of gas was blown back through the frame and down the mag port. The gun pretty much disintegrated, the rails bent, and the  grip split.  Except for a blackened hand and wounded ego, I was unharmed.

Called MagSafe and was told that I was a pretty much a dumb shit for trying to use their ammo in a KelTec, plus many other unkind things were said about the KelTec in general.  They (Mag-Safe) started putting warnings out last fall about their ammo in the P3AT, but I never saw it, since I bought it before that time. They said they had blown up two P3ATs in their own tests.  It turns out that the Mag-Safe defender is a HOT HOT HOT load. Thanks for the warning, guys.

The Kel-Tec people were concerned, and offered complete repair/replacement. Now THAT is customer service!

I attribute the problem to the AMMO, not to the gun. I have shot many hundreds of rounds through the P3AT without any problem whatsoever.  I believe the gun design saved my hand.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow that does suck! I noticed the manual said it could run +P ammo, but not "sustained" whatever that means. To me, it meant not to bother. I'll stick with my Ranger T for now.

I'm glad you are okay, and I'm glad Kel Tec will replace the pistol. Perhaps you could write a post in a new topic, title something like
WARNING: Do not use Mag Safe Ammo in a P3AT or something like that, and we could get the mods to pin the topic? Might save another poor soul from the possibility of being injured, which you escaped.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#5]
FYI:  There is no +P standard for .380.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow that does suck! I noticed the manual said it could run +P ammo, but not "sustained" whatever that means. To me, it meant not to bother. I'll stick with my Ranger T for now.

I'm glad you are okay, and I'm glad Kel Tec will replace the pistol. Perhaps you could write a post in a new topic, title something like
WARNING: Do not use Mag Safe Ammo in a P3AT or something like that, and we could get the mods to pin the topic? Might save another poor soul from the possibility of being injured, which you escaped.

I was thinking about contacting Consumer Product Safety to see if they think Mag Safe  is now warning people sufficiently.

The scary thing about this is I have carried those rounds in my Kel-Tec for at least 9 months as my personal defense rounds. I can imagine an attacker paralyzed from laughter when my "defense" disintegrates in front of his eyes.  Lesson learned: Practice with what you Carry!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top