Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 2:01:08 PM EDT
I have been carrying Magtech hollowpoints in my P3AT lately, and I figured I'd take some to the range and see how they do..... I'm glad I did.

Out of SIX shots that I fired, they ALL failded to fully extract.  I'm really glad I didnt take that crap into a firefight.

Does anyone know any RELIABLE ammo to carry?  I'm REALLY close to getting rid of this P3AT.  I'm already planning on getting a Glock 30, and it may become a trade in deal instead of a straight up purchase!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
no I havn't.  is there a site that details the process?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
meltdown,

here you go: http:  www.ktog.org/tecwerks.htm
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Man, I really think I am going to get rid of this piece.....

Is it too much to ask for a gun to WORK out of the box, or was I spoiled by my Beretta?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had good luck with Corbon. Its what I carry on duty.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Man, I really think I am going to get rid of this piece.....

Is it too much to ask for a gun to WORK out of the box, or was I spoiled by my Beretta?

How much did you pay for your Beretta vs. your P3AT?...

IMHO, F&B-it or get rid of it.  As to your original question, Gold Dots run 100% in mine (several hundred rounds through it without a hiccup after F&B and break-in).

ETA:  Out of curiosity, how many rounds of the Magtech did you run through it testing/breaking it in before deciding to trust it for carry?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a spare 30 minutes, do the F&B.  The pistol would eventually do the F&B on its own, but to save money, and frustration, you really need to do it before the first trip to the range.

As for ammo, I carry Hornady 90 gr. JHP/XTP's with no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]

+1 on the corbons. you should try a box with yours before giving up.

F&B & Plating with Jack http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/slideoffer.html is IMHO a required step but at the very least try one box of another type of ammo.

If is still does not work you can sell it or send back to Kel Tec for free life time repair. They have great customer support.

Bottom line is that you must be comfortable with it and it must work if you ever need it, everytime!

Like you I would be willing to pay a little more to a higher quality pistol that worked perfectly (like my beretta 92FS Compact)  but so far I have not found any that is even close to weight and size at twice the price.

I'm just saying a little effort before giving up may surprise you and be worth the effort.

Let us know how you make out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Speer Gold Dots - only .380 that is 100% reliable in mine.

ETA

I've tried a bunch:

Speer Gold dots:  work 100%
WWB: first 2 boxes of 100, 1 FTE total, last 2 boxes - at LEAST one FTE per mag.  I've given up on WWB.
Remington cheapie ball: 50 rounds, 1 FTE per 2 mags
CCI Blazer AL cased: 1 FTE per box, main plink round
Silver Bear: popped a primer loose in the first 10 rounds, ended testing after that

I begin to lose my confidence in it after a FTE, but it always seems to work with the Gold Dots.  I've got 3 mags, no mag pattern.  Mine is a 2nd generation parked model.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I've just had my P3AT a couple of weeks and am just about ready to declare it carry ready.  So far I have put the following throgh her:  Santa Barbara Jacketed Flat Points, CorBon Pow'rball,  Remington UMC FMJ, and Silver Bear JHP.  After about 250 rounds of the aforementioned mix, there were no FTE and only one FTF--on round #98 of continuous firing--only took a nudge on the rear of the slide to finish feeding that one.  Carry ammo will currently be the CorBon Pow'rball, but of the various brands so far, the Silver Bear JHP was impressive--fed well, extracted well, not as much to handle as the CorBon--just wonder what the expansion of these would look like.
Odin
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine eats magtechs up. I carry those and rangers both with 0 problems.

I did have it send back to the factory for a fluff and buff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top