Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 6:39:07 AM EDT
Anyone heard or know about a CZ-52 having some kind of slam fire problem or of ND's going off while decocking?
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have heard about it and while I never had a problem with my CZ-52 I don't decock it unless its pointed downrange, just to be safe.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#2]
why a need to decock a range gun .check for the z marking it is stamped to show decock repair .neer the finger . just dont ever trust decoker
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know how many times it has actually happened, but it seems to be widely accepted that you should never trust the decocker even if it has been retrofitted.  If you need to use the decocker with a live round in the chamber, make sure that it is pointed in a safe direction.

I've never gotten the impression that the CZ-52 is an unsafe gun, though.  Most folks will probably tell you not to trust the decocker, and probably not to carry with one in the chamber.  Follow that advice, and I'd say that you're good to go.

I've had mine for several months, and gone through maybe 500 rounds . . . no kaboom yet.  :)
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish I would have read about the decocker issue.

While at the range last year I handed my CZ-52 to a friend after a FTE, I put the safety on before I handed it to him.

Using proper handling practices, the gun was pointed downrange all the time., My buddy pulled the slide to eject the bad round, lifted the safety lever and BOOM !

I learned alot that day. Very fortunate that no harm was done.

I enjoy the CZ-52 very much, but will NEVER pass it off without an empty mag well, or a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I wish I would have read about the decocker issue.

While at the range last year I handed my CZ-52 to a friend after a FTE, I put the safety on before I handed it to him.

Using proper handling practices, the gun was pointed downrange all the time., My buddy pulled the slide to eject the bad round, lifted the safety lever and BOOM !

I learned alot that day. Very fortunate that no harm was done.

I enjoy the CZ-52 very much, but will NEVER pass it off without an empty mag well, or a round in the chamber.

Can you clarify exactly what happened, please?  Did the gun fire while the slide was back?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:09:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it's a long-standing issue. Here's a link on testing the decocker with a pencil:

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?PHPSESSID=jr6ig2bdhdlt2v8isjaofptnc0&topic=5005.0

If you browse that forum, you can find many references to the problem, including how to fix it but I've never seen anything like the sticky topics we have on various topics here on arfcom.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#7]
"Can you clarify exactly what happened, please? Did the gun fire while the slide was back?"

No the gun did not fire when the slide was pulled back, it was after a bad round was cycled out of the chamber and the slide was open with fresh round in the chamber, I had put the safety on and my friend lifted the safety to the decocker and the slide closed and the gun fired.

This was not an accidental fumbling of the weapon.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
CZ-52's are nortorious for having an unsafe decocker.  Never use it on a cz_52, especially with a round in the chamber.  If you want to see why, put a pencil, eraser end first  in the barrel, cock it (clearing it first of course) and try the decocker.  If the pencil jumps, your firing pin just hit the primer.  CZ-52 are fun to shoot, just forget that they have a decocker.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CZ-52's are nortorious for having an unsafe decocker.  Never use it on a cz_52, especially with a round in the chamber.  If you want to see why, put a pencil, eraser end first  in the barrel, cock it (clearing it first of course) and try the decocker.  If the pencil jumps, your firing pin just hit the primer.  CZ-52 are fun to shoot, just forget that they have a decocker.

I totally agree, I have learned the decocker fault, and will never use it.

I do not doubt that somewhere in the Czech operation manual that this is outlined, and we just have to live and learn because deciphering is not an option.

I once had a CZ motorcycle, the thing was frikken fast, but figuring it out once it broke was another story...

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a CZ 52 which I sold to my brother who still has it. If you decocked it you could expect it to fire every single time.  It is a problem because up is safe and up from safe if decock. So putting it on safe can be dangerous if you are careless and go to far. That said my decocker would always and I mean always fire a round. You should not use the decockers anyway because that is caused by wear and eventually it is possible that a pistol that does not fire on decocking will eventually wear to the point it does.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Never had a single issue with my CZ-52. Then again, I don't point my gun at things I don't want to shoot, so if it did AD when I decocked it, it's not that big a deal.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They can't be notorious if I've yet to see anyone on the internet who's actually had it happen to them. I've yet to read a confirmed case of the decocker acting as a second trigger on the CZ-52, just people discussing how it's a potential issue.

I have, on the other hand, read a few dozen reports about Glocks exploding, so take it how you will.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a CZ 52 which I sold to my brother who still has it. If you decocked it you could expect it to fire every single time.  It is a problem because up is safe and up from safe if decock. So putting it on safe can be dangerous if you are careless and go to far. That said my decocker would always and I mean always fire a round. You should not use the decockers anyway because that is caused by wear and eventually it is possible that a pistol that does not fire on decocking will eventually wear to the point it does.

Ok, this is the first case I've read of anyone actually having this problem.

So, uh, fix it. It's not difficult.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, this is the first case I've read of anyone actually having this problem.

It is a surplus gun what do you want me to tell you. The original question included ND's related to the decocker. Which brings me to my point my pistol fired upon being decocked. It is a safety issue considering 7.62x25 is more than capable of blowing someones head off. If you buy a surplus gun you might want to verify that for yourself and trust it if you want to I am not a babysitter just making my recommendation.
So, uh, fix it. It's not difficult.

I have heard some of the replacement milled firing pins prevent decocking altogether while still allowing the safety to be used. I have never replaced the cast firing pin on a cz52 so I do not know how easy or difficult that is. I imagine there are a couple of different people who have made replacement firing pins so various replacement firing pins may or may not prevent decocking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top