Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 7:01:15 AM EDT
 I've been in need of a high capacity pistol for a long time.  I own 5 revolvers a 1911, a Ruger mark2 and 2 CZ52's.   I've owned a S&W Sigma 40 which was junk,traded it for a Glock23.  the 23 ended up getting traded for a S&W 625.    This time I'm buying for keeps.  

I've finally got my pennies saved and was interested in a CZ75B.  I can't decide betwen a 9 or 40. I like the idea of 16 round capacity in the 9 verson.  But, I have to admit I do have a slight gun penise issue and the 40 S&W satifies my that.  

From what I've read on the various boards is that the 40 version can have reliability problems.
 This will be my last handgun purchase for a long time so I want utter reliability right out of the box.  If I have to go with the 9 version to do that fine, the idea of 15 rnd mags does make me giddy.   This gun will see mostly range use.  Maybe IDPA and 3 gun.

Now here's the twist, Yesterday, While strolling thru K's Merchandice, the only retail store in my area that sells handguns.   I noticed in the display case a  CZ40B for $369.

I don't know much about the 40B version other than it's discontinued, 1911 style grip, and a alloy frame.    Does the 40B use   doubles stack mags?   What's the round count for the mags?    Is the 40B reliable, durable?  Is there problems with the  alloy frame?   Are spare parts available?   Are holsters and other accesories available?  Will i be dissapointed if i choose this model over the 75B?  

I guess what I'm asking is, if you were in my shoes what would you buy?    Please if any of you would be kind enough to share some thoughts or Idea's I'd be most gratefull.  

Bill
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you mean 40P?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you mean 40P?

Gary,  The slide says 40B and the grip is similar to a 1911.   I just looked at it thru the case and didn't ask to handle it.            

OK a dumb ?, what's a 40P?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Just wanted to make sure. I haven't seen new 40B's for a while.
It uses double stack mags. They hold ten rounds but Mec-Gar 12rd mags for 75B will work.
I doubt you would have any problems with the alloy frame.
I would think it would be easier to find holsters for the 75B than it would be for the 40B.
I have a strong personal preference for the 75B 9mm. 16rd mags are cheap and readily available, 19rd mags for the SP-01 will work, and factory 25rd mags are available also. 9mm ammo is cheap to shoot and decent defensive loads for the 9mm are now available also. All of my CZ 9mm's are 100% reliable.
The 40P is essentially a 40B slide on a P-01 frame.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]

From what I've read on the various boards is that the 40 version can have reliability problems.

I have the CZ 75B in both 9mm and .40 caliber.  The .40 is probably the softest shooting .40 that I have ever shot.  As to the quote reliability problems unquote, mine has been stone cold reliable from day one.  Accurate, too.  Until I picked up the SP-01 Tactical, the CZ 75B in .40 caliber was the accuracy king of my CZ stable.

I also have the 40B.  However, it's not nearly as accurate in my hands as the CZ 75B.  And I think you find it just a bit more difficult to get a holster for the 40B thank the 75B.  I was about to sell my 40 B when CZ announced the end of regular production of it.  That's probably the only reason why I didn't sell the 40B.

I think you really need to get some range time behind the .40 CZ 75B (if you can) to understand just how good this gun is.  The gun dispelled the ".40 isn't accurate" myth for me.

--
Mike

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the 40B and 75B in .40. I love my 40B and it uses the same mags as the .75B as far as after market mecgars which are great mags. The only problem I have had with my 40B is I needed to change a recoil spring to a wolff extra power. Holsters for the 75 will be esier to find however HBE leather makes them for the .40B.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:04:17 AM EDT
[#6]
just get the 9mm 75b.  if you have size issues you should know that if you can't do it with 9x19 you more than likely won't be able to do it with .40sw.  i have the compact 75 d pcr and love it.  i have fondled a couple of 40b pistols at gun shows and i don't think they are nearly as comfortable as the 75b.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for the responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top