Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 6:28:10 PM EDT
Well today I had a "class"  I took my CZ and 250 rnds of ammo so I could get a few pointers.  I have already shot about 100 rnds out of my CZ-75.  Today in about 150 rnds I had 6 failure to extracts.  Really made me sad.  I have loved this gun and never had a problem.  I hope this is just the extactor.  That is the only thing I think it could be.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I was using walmart winchester val pacs.  I also tried some blazer in it after the first 3 problems.   I also cleaned it at the range after the first 3.   And it had a little over 150 rnd through it before today with no problems.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
you have about 300 rounds total thru the gun?

I agree with kpel: look very closely around/under the extracter to make sure there isn't something in there.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you are going to take the extractor out, you should replace the spring with a Wolff spring.
The part number for a three pack is 89893 CZ-75 Extractors 20% extra power.
I replaced the factory spring in my .40 ST with the Wollff after having FTEs when it was new.
I haven't had any FTEs since I swapped springs, and that was about 12,000 rounds ago. One lot of my practice brass has been loaded 7 times so it's pretty beat up.
EDIT:
By the way, Mike at CZ-USA was the one who recommended the Wolff spring for FTEs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
It's a shame, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that CZs tend to be undersprung to begin with.  It seems one is always best served by replacing the recoil spring and extractor spring almost immediately.  Other than that, I've not encountered any other issues with any of my CZs that I can remember.

[Edited 08/21] Undersprung in this case means the spring is weaker that it's rated, not just a spring that's "too light".  I believe the P-01 uses a 17 lb spring, but the factory spring may only test out at 14 to 15 lbs.

--
Mike
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's a shame, but I've pretty much come to the conclusion that CZs tend to be undersprung to begin with.  It seems one is always best served by replacing the recoil spring and extractor spring almost immediately.  Other than that, I've not encountered any other issues with any of my CZs that I can remember.

--
Mike

+1
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#7]
My CZ does not like Winchester whitebox. It'll shoot CCI Blazer alum case all day. Federal Hydrshok all day and Ranger SXT all day. But not the damned WWB. Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:39:54 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the best USPSA shooters I know, Matt Mink, uses a CZ and when he gets a new one from the factory it's already got new springs in it.  He said he won't even fuck with the stock springs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My CZ does not like Winchester whitebox. It'll shoot CCI Blazer alum case all day. Federal Hydrshok all day and Ranger SXT all day. But not the damned WWB. Go figure.

It seems to be about a 50/50 proposition that a CZ will have issues with the WWB ammo.  Some believe that that the extractor groove is just different enough to cause this.  I quit buying the WWB 'cause I felt it was inconsistent.  Never had a issue with functioning, just didn't like it.   Brass reloads well for me, so I do find some use for it.  :)

--
Mike
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If you examine the rim of WWB carefully you will see how thin it is. This is the reason it doesn't perform reliably in some CZ and XD pistols. My first XD would consistently have a 2% FTE rate with WWB. When I switched to American Eagle it was 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#11]

I just got a CZ P01 in 9mm that I haven't had a opportunity to fire yet.  What recoil spring do you recommend?  The factory is at 17 LBS and Wolff comes in 18, 20 and 22 LB varieties.

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoot it first.  If it's launching the empties into low earth orbit, then pick up the replacement 18 lb spring from Wolff.  If it's not, use it as is.  I wouldn't use anything heavier than 18 lbs for the 9mm.  

If you had the Compact .40, I would recommend nothing stronger than 20 lbs springs for it ... if it needed replacing in the first place.  Just remember any time you replace the recoil spring with a stronger one, you will get more velocity in closing the action which can be damaging too.

--
Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I just got a CZ P01 in 9mm that I haven't had a opportunity to fire yet.  What recoil spring do you recommend?  The factory is at 17 LBS and Wolff comes in 18, 20 and 22 LB varieties.

Thanks,
Dave

I would not worry about the recoils spring but I would recomend a 17lb hammer spring. I hate the factory one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
One of the best USPSA shooters I know, Matt Mink, uses a CZ and when he gets a new one from the factory it's already got new springs in it.  He said he won't even fuck with the stock springs.

I remember having this conversation a while back, but can't remember with who...  Anyway, I may not have made myself totally clear.  For the most part, I totally utilize the stock CZ springs.  There are a few instances where I don't, but most of my Production pistols have the stock springs in them.  Some others I have changed out the recoil spring with a Wolff, or use a Wolff mainspring, but that is only for special applications.

For general use, the stock CZ springs are ok.  If you wear one out, I would just buy a Wolff replacement and be done with it.

As far as the original question, there is no point to go higher in weight on a P-01 recoil spring.  I thought the stock one was on the heavy side, but it always worked with whatever I fed mine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Replace the extractor spring with a Wolff extra power spring and your problem will be solved.  CZ springs have gone way down in quality and are all under sprung.

Jim

Miossi Gun Works LLC
702 Park Dr
Monticello, IA 52310

http://www.miossigunworks.com

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmm the only (yes ONLY) ammo fed to my CZ so far is winchester value packs.  I've yet to have a single malfunction but maybe I'm lucky?  I would suggest cleaning first springing second.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I've heard tell that many eastern european pistols are undersprung from the factory, or that their springs don't last.

That said, I've never had an extraction issue in over 1k rounds of WWB in my 75.  I've had the thing lock open on an unexpended mag (bullet nose was bumping the slide release), but never a FTE.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I have over 6,000 rounds through mine from countless manufacturers, 1 jam, and 3 FTF(that was the ammo).  Check your extractor and the ammo!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top