Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2016 12:47:43 PM EDT
I'm old school and have been using Hydrashoks in my pistols since they came out in the late 80's early 90's.

I have stuck with them because they feed in any pistol I have ever owned,but now I'm thinking about upgrading for my P-01 that I have on order.

What 9mm ammo do you guys use in your PCR's, Compact's and P-01's ?

What Brand and bullet weight is best for the more compact 9's with shorter barrels,suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm going to have to place an ammo order since you can't find anything but ball in my AO.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always used 124 grain bullets are 147's that much better ?

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
147s are good for suppressor use and loaded up, they're good against windshields. They can also over penetrate more than lighter bullets.  I like using them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]
147 Grain HST, Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger-T, or Win Ranger-B.

The heavier bullets are more reliable against heavy clothing tests across the board, and loose less velocity compared to lighter bullets when shot from shorter barrels.

Most folks will get slightly faster folow-up times with the less flippy recoil, and the fast twist CZ uses can more than handle the 147 grain weight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
For training, plinking, SHTF my P-01 really likes GECO brand in 124 grain. However, Blazer Brass in 124 and even Federal Champion in 115 make nice groups too and feed really well.

For carry, both Federal HST & Gold Dot's in 147 grain, standard pressure, work very well. I have (6) mags and every one of them is stuffed with either one or the other. They feed well, have relatively light recoil, and hit hard... SGAmmo had a great price on both in 147 grain not long ago. Check them out!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have always used 124 grain bullets are 147's that much better ?
View Quote

For handguns, my personal rule is to always go with heavy for caliber loads to get the penetration that's needed. The 147's are going to penetrate deeper than 115's, 124's, and 127's. Current research shows the 147 grain HST's consistently do better than the lighter grain offerings, and even the lighter +P loads in standard gelatin test.

HST's and Gold Dots in 147 grain loads are really hard to beat in 9mm...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had 124 +P Gold Dots loaded for some time and my pistols loves them.
I do think that the 147 grain dots or HST my be the better choice.  I have a few Sheriff friends one being former SF and current swat.
    When I asked his opinion of .45/9/.40 and what loading he told me the following.
Doesn't really matter as long as it's a quality bonded bullet and proper shot placement .  He caries Gold dots in a .45 ( forgot the grain) but said he does carry a 9mm often and trusted both within their limits.
  Being a guy with direct experience I trust him.
That being said if doors are being kicked down a carbine is the goto.

I think his short answer reflects that a pistol can only do so much.   Good penetration and a CNS hit are ideal.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the 124gr HST after watching this video,just got 150 rd's from Bone Frog club.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top