Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2012 4:05:01 PM EDT
I'm awaiting delivery of an SP-01 Shadow Custom. This will be my first pistol. Any tips on ammo for the first range trip? Cleaning and lube product recommendations would help greatly. I've watched videos of field stripping and basic cleaning and I've got a great kit together for my AR and would like to have the same for my CZ. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't really give you any major ammo tips except that some CZs don't like the aluminum cased CCI Blazer.

I oil mine up for rust prevention, but I do like to use grease on the rails, lugs, and any place where metal impacts metal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I like froglube liquid and paste, it's non toxic and works for what it's supposed to do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2012 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Froglube. Interesting. Never heard of it. You pullin my leg???? I'll check it out. I guess I should have worded my question better. Are there particular brands or types that I should beware?

Only firearms I own are a mossy 500, which I've dropped in muddy water while hunting bird and it worked like a champ all day not exactly a picky weapon when it comes to lube, and my AR-15. I learned a thing or two about maintenance and cleaning on the second. And overhauled it entirely to learn even more. Guess I'm trying to avoid an overhaul for the sake of learning what to do and not do with the pistol. All the reading I've done so far makes the CZ out to bequite a robust piece.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]
CZs barrel twist rate is optimized for 124gr bullets. With the right load, they are capable of laser beam accuracy, but are exceptional with most anything except heavy bullets not pushed hard enough. AS mentioned, many CZs don't like aluminum Blazer...but I had one that I fed case quantities through with no issues.

I've run thousands of round through various 75s and derivatives, I use synthetic motor oil (20w-50)for sear cage area and trigger rotation points, with Slide Glide or wheel bearing grease for the rails and barrel lock up points and in the barrel "kidney" the slide stop goes through.
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
CZs barrel twist rate is optimized for 124gr bullets. With the right load, they are capable of laser beam accuracy, but are exceptional with most anything except heavy bullets not pushed hard enough. AS mentioned, many CZs don't like aluminum Blazer...but I had one that I fed case quantities through with no issues.

Can't agree with him more. My CZ75 is pretty accurate with 115gr but when I shoot 124gr it is like a completely different gun. Hole through hole with pretty much any 124gr ammo.

Also, I'd just say clean the gun and lightly lube it for the first shooting. Buy whatever is cheapest to shoot for the first time out and just have fun getting used to the gun, the trigger, and pretty much how everything works with it. Worry about breaking it in and getting comfortable––you can get accurate with it later.

That's a very nice gun you've bought––I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My stainless 9 loves the blazer115 brass cased ammo.CZs are addicting you will not stop at one!
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! The bullet weight is what had me most concerned. I've found some info on the twist and length. Good reading on CZF. 124gr. brass cased it will be for the first trip out. I'm decent with my fathers glock at standard pistol distances so I'm really anxious to see how mu h better I can get with some practice on a pistol claimed by many to be a laser beam!  Thanks for the info on lubing as well. I will be cleaning and lubing for sure before it ever sees a shot fired. Like I've said.....

Pics when it gets here!!!

Range report also, should be hitting my desert spot for some good times on Monday.

If any saw the post of my rebuild experience with my AR, it will be first trip with the new setup on that as well.
I fabbed up two clanger hangers as well, a body size for rifle and a 5 plate swinger for pistol....

Should be a blast!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Can't really give you any major ammo tips except that some CZs don't like the aluminum cased CCI Blazer.

I oil mine up for rust prevention, but I do like to use grease on the rails, lugs, and any place where metal impacts metal.

My 75b will eat anything as long as it's brass cased.  It will choke on every magazine of
aluminum cased Blazer put in it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
WooHoo! Tracking Number Today!

I dont know how ill make it through the wait for SBR........ even three days for a pistol is killin me.

I will be unwrapping my new toy on friday morning.

Also, Rob at CzCustom was super responsive to all of my emails. My local dealer slacked on sending FFL. Said they did but actually didnt. Rob checked twice for me and kept me informed of the status of my order. This purchase is the most expensive firearm for me to date and i couldnt be happier with the way I have been treated so far.

It is almost as if they genuinely care about me as a customer! Imagine that!

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
They are sexy

I use marine grease very lightly on the rails, drop of oil on the internals.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Oooooo..... Niiiice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
WooHoo! Tracking Number Today!

I dont know how ill make it through the wait for SBR........ even three days for a pistol is killin me.

Snip

I've been waiting six weeks for a CZ75SA with no known delivery date.  I know it will be worth it but waiting sucks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oooooo..... Niiiice.

Ditto!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Scheduled for delivery to LGS today!! As soon as I have to leave for work.... BAM it will be in the shop, I just know it. No way will I get lucky and get it before my shift lol

Anyone else run a light like the above pictured pistol?? Wondering how the weight changes the feel of it. Do you find it more effective having the light on the pistol or in your free hand cross arm style??

Again, nice lookin Shadow!!

ETA:

Just noticed the trigger. And safety, or lack thereof. Is that a decocker?? I've only held the Phantom, it was decocker model. Am I wrong saying that you did a SAO conversion??
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is a SA only, done at the CZ Custom shop. The Safety's are ambi and the over sized versions.

As for the light:

Answer: depends.

CCW gun, No, I do not recommend a light on them, I do recommend you carry a light with you always. There are many times you will need/want a light and you will not want to point a gun at the things you want to see.

Tactical/HD gun, Yes, light is mandatory on the gun. If you are in need of light due to a bump in the night you should have your gun out. With the light on the gun you free your off hand up to open doors ect. You also have one less thing to hold/pick up.

I do recommend a secondary light on a tactical rig, one on the gun and one again for those times you need/want light but do not need to point a gun at the thing you need light on.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the tips on lights JoshAR.

How about mags?? CZC says it comes with 3, a good start.  I've heard many replace the mag spring with a +10 for more reliable feeding. Have you had any issues?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips on lights JoshAR.

How about mags?? CZC says it comes with 3, a good start.  I've heard many replace the mag spring with a +10 for more reliable feeding. Have you had any issues?

My rule of thumb for mags vs pistols is 5:1. 5 Mags for every pistol.

As far as mags go I've not had any issues with the factory mags so far and Megcar mags are some of the best made. I have no experience with the + springs, sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top