Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2010 10:23:48 AM EDT
Asking the experts here because I know nothing about these guns. I'm looking for another .45 with a full-size frame (not a 1911!) and I've heard a lot of good things about the EAA Witness. I saw a Witness P Compact at a local FFL and it felt great, I really liked it. But the low price scares me... Kinda screams "Taurus" in the back of my mind... I've been saving to get an M&P, Glock, or FN, but I have enough right now for the EAA. Should I wait and get a gun I know is great, or is the Witness worth a shot? Is there anything I should know about these guns before buying? Anything to look for or be avoided? Do the EAA polymer guns have problems compared to the steel ones? Lots of questions, but as always I like to ask around before making a purchase.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a .45 Witness-P about 9 years ago.. only issue it has had was first trip to range the mag would just drop free for no reason.
A trip back to the manufacturer and it has performed flawlessly ever since... I would trust it as a personal defense weapon.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#2]
That's good to hear. Thanks for your input, keep the comments coming.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at the EAA elite match
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the hunter myself.  Had one of the .45 polymer frame fullsized a while back...kinda regret selling it, but I like the steel frames better.
Anyone confirm the frame cracking rumors?
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the frame cracking thing was happening in the 10mm models, not the 45's?
Link Posted: 8/4/2010 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a lot of reading, but didn't come up with any info on the splitting frames. They sound like great guns overall, so I think I'm going to pick up a polymer framed compact model. I seriously considered the steel frame Compact but I'm not a fan of the gray finish and I like the weight of polymer frame pistols better for carry. I did read a lot of horror stories about their customer service, but everything I read was written years ago. A lot can change in 3-5 years, has EAA's customer service improved at all in that time?

Thanks again guys!
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have another question I'm hoping to have answered... What exactly is the difference in length on the grip of the compact compared to the full size? I was able to handle a fullsize Witness today and I think if the grip was much shorter it might be too small for my hands. Does anyone know? I can't seem to find any #'s that give me a hint or even pictures comparing the two side-by-side. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
They are a basic clone of the CZ75 design.  While the full size Witness has a grip similar in length to the Glock 21 the compact witness is similar to the sub compact Glock 30.  The wonder finish is not really so much of a finish as a heat process IIRC.  

The cracking issue was mostly in the 10mm guns.  The recoil was severe enough that without shok buffers and heavier springs some slides and frames just naturally failed.  It has not been a widespread issue with the 9mm and 45 guns.

If you don't mind spending a little more and want a better gun get the CZ97B.  It is a very similar design but many think CZ is a better company with better product support.  In terms of warranty work and solutions to problems that can arise, many feel that EAA does equal Taurus.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 10mm gun.  It, and the rental gun at the range I worked at both had the slides crack. But it wasn't necessarily "The power of 10mm".

If you look inside the slide by the ejection port, the way it's milled has a horrible stress riser.  So basically it'll either fail or it won't.  

BUT I sent my gun in, they fixed it under warranty and I had it back within 2 weeks with a upgraded slide and barrel (faster to fix than fitting a new slide alone).

It is BY FAR one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot.  I routinely let people shoot it and they always shoot very well with it.  Even being a 10mm shooting full power loads it's a pussy cat.  Lots of muzzle rise, but even .45 out of a 1911 feels sharper.  EAA's in .45 ACP shoot like a dream.  I've probably put about 2-3000 round through it and it runs like a champ.

Witnesses also are by design easy to change calibers.  They where built in Europe for IPSC and IDPA copmetition where getting multiple handguns is time and money consuming.  So they made it easy to slap any caliber slide of and run it.

So far there are slides in .22lr (I have one, works great) 9mm, .38 super, .40 cal (some one makes .357 sig barrels aftermarket), 10mm, and .45 acp.

Here's a link ot a TON more info, and possibly parts and accessories (don't know the status on that though).

Huge EAA  write up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Holy crap that's a ton of info! Thanks for the link and all your help!

And thank you also for the size comparisons, that really helped a lot. I'm very excited about these guns, and I'll be ordering one or the other next week. Still deciding which though!

Thanks again to the both of you!
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#11]
i  have a witness in 40s&w shoots great no problems at all. i bought a 9mm match kit  this is the most accurit pistol i have ever shot. it is a steel frame i would not hessitate to use it for defence.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#12]
That's great! I already ordered my P Compact in .45, should be to my FFL next week. Only set me back $450 including shipping, tax, etc! If I really like it I'm probably going to add a full-size steel frame to the collection later this year. Thanks again! I'll let everyone know when I get it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
ive had mine 10 plus years  been great thousand of rounds down the pipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top