Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 8:05:37 AM EDT
Tell me about the firestar quality.......I`m looking at getting one of thier 9mm`s......it looks like dealers might be buying up thier 45`s pretty quick.....gives me the impression it`s probably a decent $$value......thanks...KK
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
...fireSTAR 45.....fireSTORM 9mm......I`m confused!.............."never mind"
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:52:26 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about STARs, the quality is very good and very consistent. I think that the UltraStar, their compact 9mm may just be the best little 9mm made.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a firestar in .40 cal that I bought around 10 years ago and it still is running fine. I was told by a local gunsmith that the firestar's were not being made anymore and not to shoot mine much because if a part broke it would be hard to find a replacement part other than buying a new pistol and cannibalizing it.
I also think star either sold their company or went out of business a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Part of my confusion is...(I think)....that firestar....LLama....Bersa have become one and the same company.....hard to find the truth.....but that`s what someone told me......anyway..the FIRESTORM guns look very well made.....if these company`s are fused...and trying to compete then the qc is apparently decent......bersa/llama is on the same website???????.........
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#5]
STAR is still very much in business and still making pistols and revolvers. Recently they bought ASTRA and have been marketing a new line of handguns under the ASTAR label. They do not import to the US anymore. It just wasn't economic for them.

LLAMA is another Spanish company but separate from STAR. The FireStorm is not a STAR. The FireStars that are showing up are older STARs that have been on a shelf somewhere. The FireStar was a superb pistol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad had a llama once , It looked pretty cool .Never got a chance to shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I just found this topic. Sorry, I don't check the "Other" forum much. hehe Anyway, I have the Star Firestar .45 in their "Starvel" finish. It's pretty heavy for its size, comes with 6-round magazines and 3-dot sights. I've looked at night sights for it but never got around to buying them. It's a very sturdy well made pistol, reasonably accurate and it has never jammed on me with various ammo types.

You're not the first one to confuse Firestar and Firestorm. IIRC, Stars are made in Spain and Llamas are made in Brazil... two different companies. I heard that Stars are carried by alot of cops in Europe but I have no idea if there's any truth to that. I know Star made some pistols for the Germans in WWII, and occasionally I'll run across one with Nazi proof marks.

Stars used to be imported by Interarms and several years ago they parted ways and dealers all over the country were selling Stars at "fire sale" prices (pun intended). The next week after I bought my Firestar for $209, another gun shop had them on sale for $189 - any caliber, and the following week they were $169. They sold out within hours. I wish I had bought more now, at least one in each caliber, 9mm, .40, and .45. That is a VERY good value for the money.

I don't care for the polymer Ultrastar or Megastar, but the Firestar is more to my liking. If you happen to run across a Star PD .45 at a good price, snap it up. That has been on my want list for some time now. It looks similar to a miniature 1911. I had an opportunity to buy a nickel plated Star PD with pearl grips recently, but he was asking a little too much for the condition it was in. HTH
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I seen a STAR..9..used.....thought it was a little high...300.......don`t know the model...but a good looking gun....also....a astra model 70....nice shape...285...thought that was high also....I really don`t know....never paid attention to these before.....does the price sound decent?....thanks for the info...it`s more than I had........p-s...beginning to see that star has been around for a long time....feel better about that........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top