Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 9:10:35 AM EDT
For a long time, I never got into the sport of target shooting because of the exhorbitant costs just to get started (my local dealer nearly made me cry when he was asking for a handgun setup around 800$ - of course, the FAC couse not included). Now, I've found a site/seller (based in the same province as me) selling chinese-made rifles/pistols (I'm located in Canada, meaning no ban like the states).

Norinco NP-20

That's what I'm looking at. I'm trying to get a couple boxes of rounds, my restricted FAC and staying underneath 500$ CAD (for now). What I'm looking to see is if anyone here (Canucks, since, again, these can't be imported to the states) have had any experience with them. Mostly stuff like build quality, reliability, etc.

Full list of Norinco pistols

(That's the list of other available handguns).

I've chosen a 9mm to begin with (for lighter recoil, etc.), if it holds up, I may later on get a 1911 .45 ACP. That or:

Norinco Czech VZ-58-S (ok, a little bit different, but you have to admit, that'd be very unique to have)

It's a given I'll upgrade a few years down the road. As well, shooting ranges are hard to come by around here (I have to hitch a ride with my [overworked] friend, so not that much is gonna pass through the barrel). So expected duty, I'd say approximately 5 years, 5000 rounds.

Thanks for any and all input (remember, I'm in Canada ).
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
as you are a canadian...might I suggest that you support canadian companies

you mentioned a 9mm and a 1911, both of which are made by Para Ordnance

check out their forum here
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:30:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Really nice stuff, but again, cost. College costs / rent / target plus target shooting don't mix. her
<EDIT>

No NP-20s are in stock, I'm looking at the P-228 copy now.

On another note, it's no fun in Canada, were limited to 10 rounds (and no, not 10 + 1 ).
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah man, I've been college-boy-broke myself....rollin' pennies for gas money, eatin' ramen noodle 3x a day, the whole nine yards. Enjoy college cuz workin' sucks.

Anyway, there's other affordable guns out there, you may not be able to get one right away but your wait would be rewarded with a better gun (and a better resale when the time comes to upgrade).

Look at the Witness series from EAA. They're built like tanks and you can find 'em for less than $300(us). Check out the "tanfoglio" thread here, they make the witness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top