Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 10:06:27 AM EDT
I am considering buying a MAC-10 clone as a just for fun/project gun, but I have a few questions first. Mostly regarding sights. I have handled a few and have come away reasonably interested, but the sights kinda suck IMO.

I was wondering if there are aftermarket options, such as perhaps enlarging the rear peep sights, or maybe filing down the sights and installing traditional "pistol" sights? I am aware of the top-rail MPA versions, although that would be ideal I think I prefer the look of the original top-cocking version.

If I do choose to do this it will be to an MPA, I don't plan on butchering any guns with collector value.

Will doing so cause any structural problems? From my examination it appears the rear sight is a permanent part of the lower receiver, so would milling it down cause any reliability issues? How realistic is it to have the gun dovetailed for the use of "normal" pistol sights? Will the gunsmithing costs blow this project out of the realm of practicality?

Regarding mags, the .45 version takes M3 mags, correct?

Finally, I wish to know if the gun can handle + P rounds and hollowpoints. I was told that the original fully automatic MAC's don't handle anything other than standard ball reliably or safely. Has MPA improved on this design?

Sorry about all the questions.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
dont know of any aftermarket sights for a top cocker. i wouldnt think grinding down the rear sight would cause any probs as long as you dont go below the top of the reciever, setting up pistol sights on it would look really funky i am betting.

i have the mpa30 9mm that takes the sten mags. was looking into getting the 45 that does take m3 grease gun mags, but 45 too damn expensive for me to be shooting all the time.

i was told do not fire any +p rounds out of any macs, dont know if the MPA can handle it nor have i heard of anyone done this with an mpa. my 9mm mpa will eat up hollow points with no problem, i believe the 45 will do the same too.

if you do put some pistol sights on it, please post a pic so we can see how she looks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah the original MAC-10 sights is nothing more than a hole drilled in the back plate for the rear sight and bending up a piece of metal for the front sight. It is very crude, however it does actually work better than i expected.

I've seen some people chop off the original sights and weld on HK style iron sights on MAC-10 SMG's.

Yeah you can try to mount pistol style sights though, i don't think it would be a problem. Just keep in mind the sights need to be able to see through the cocking handle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yeah the original MAC-10 sights is nothing more than a hole drilled in the back plate for the rear sight and bending up a piece of metal for the front sight. It is very crude, however it does actually work better than i expected.

I've seen some people chop off the original sights and weld on HK style iron sights on MAC-10 SMG's.

Yeah you can try to mount pistol style sights though, i don't think it would be a problem. Just keep in mind the sights need to be able to see through the cocking handle.

Good point, they'd probably have to the raised sights they intend for suppressor use. And don't worry, I'll definitely post some pics if I do end up doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top