Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:48:56 AM EDT
I shot a qual course on thursday and after about 25-30 rounds i had a round fail to chamber up completely.  the course was a total of 40 rounds.  let me take this time to explain that i am not a limp wrist shooter and was shooting a timed course and still was able to tap-rack and get the rounds off in the time limit and get good hits.  my question is after i was done with the course, (the state of FL LEO qual course) i notcied that the feed ramp was very dirty and fouled with powder.  is this the cause of the malfunction?  we were shooting speer lawman ammo.  i don't really ever see myself in a sustained gunfight with my little p9, but it worries me that i could have some problems if the feed ramp gets fouled.  has anyone ever heard/seen this issue?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I shot a qual course on thursday and after about 25-30 rounds i had a round fail to chamber up completely.  the course was a total of 40 rounds.  let me take this time to explain that i am not a limp wrist shooter and was shooting a timed course and still was able to tap-rack and get the rounds off in the time limit and get good hits.  my question is after i was done with the course, (the state of FL LEO qual course) i notcied that the feed ramp was very dirty and fouled with powder.  is this the cause of the malfunction?  we were shooting speer lawman ammo.  i don't really ever see myself in a sustained gunfight with my little p9, but it worries me that i could have some problems if the feed ramp gets fouled.  has anyone ever heard/seen this issue?

naw that is not an issue with kahrs at all.  dirty feed ramp or not.  mine looks like crap after 250 rounds , both of my kahrs but it never effected functining.  try two things here first.  Polish the feed ramp to a mirror shine and install a new set of recoil springs. My bet u will solve your issue.  Now another question being this was a timed event, I am assuming you have many many rounds down range with this gun and I am assumming you have shoot 100+ rounds at a shooting session.  HAS THIS EVER OCCURED BEFORE??  All guns are different, I realize that but my K9 has never given up one time and I have shot well over 250 rounds before it hit the cleaning table with zero issues.  My personal carry, my PM9 I have put 23,000 rounds through it and I know many times well over 500 before it ever hit the cleaning table and again no issues. Not saying it is you either, just you have go eliminate some possables. If t has never did it before and you have alot of rounds through it, then indeed the timed event might have played into your style of shooting, OR it is again time to replace the recoil springs.  

I am not sure of wolffs makes alittle heavier poundage recoil springs for the P9 or not, i know they do for the PM9 in 20.5# kand I use them and like them alot, although never had an issue with factory springs ever. YMMV.
eliminate the possables and then determine if u have an issue. I just don't think you have an issue.  naturally a feed ramp will looked foulded. My g19 shines like a diamond but after a dozen or so rounds the shine is gone but it still feed right, Both of my 9mm kahrs I have highly polished the feed ramp and the barrel chamber. It certainly can't hurt a darn thing, even if the gun is working perfect...

keep us posted if u will..
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#2]
My p9 is about 5 years old, and has probably had 5000 rounds thorugh it.  I just put in a new kahr factory recoil spring in about 100 rounds ago.  I can remember this happening once before in almost the same situation.  it may have actually been during last years qual run.  some of the rounds that i had shot were actually speer gold dot +p, in fact the first 22 rounds of the forty were the +p gold dots.  the feed ramp is very polished and looks like a mirror.  the gun shoots very accurate and i love it since i work in plain clothes every day.  i was thinking about sending the slide/barrel to the factory and having them polish the entire unit, but i am concerned about how long it will be before i can get it back.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top