Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 10:39:24 AM EDT
Bought my first Kahr.  PM9 with Tritium sights.  $550.00.  Can't wait to take it to the range and get it broken in so I can start carrying it.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Collin:
IMHO, you made a good choice. I have two Kahrs & my wife has one. I carried an MK9 for about 4 years as my backup gun while in uniform, & a lot as my off-duty carry gun, especially in hot weather when an ankle holster was about the only way to conceal a decent caliber gun.
The only problem I ever had with the MK9 was the weight: It got kind of heavy by the end of the day in the ankle holster.

About a month ago I bought a PM9 with the blackened slide, & it's now my concealed carry gun. Love the gun, even though the recoil is a little sharper than the MK9. One bit of advice: heed Kahr's warning in the manual to put AT LEAST 200 rounds through your new gun before counting on it for serious social encounters. Mine didn't really loosen up enough to be reliable until I had about 300 rounds downrange. Had a lot of failures to go completely into battery in the first 100 rounds, then fewer & fewer over the next 200 rounds, until now I feel confident in carrying it.

Hope you like yours as much as I like mine...
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I also picked up one of the PM9's for more discreet concealed carry in the Texas heat.  Recoil is manageable, but I found that without a Pearce grip extension on the short magazine, I was unable to get accurate double taps due to the gun shifting.  The grip extension doesn't detract from concealability in my case, and some good 'ol practice improved my groups.  I'm not as accurate as with my 1911, but the PM9 is a lot easier to conceal while wearing shorts!

I second NCCop's advice on break in.  I ran 300 rounds of Winchester ball ammo through it before carrying.  I had no failures with that or any other ammo, but the gun was noticably smoother in handling and function after break in.  I've also had good accuracy and no failures with the Federal HydraShock JHP that is currently loaded in it.

Another note:  When disassembling the pistol the first few times, expect to find the slide release lever to be very reluctant to push out of the frame.  I had to use a piece of scrap plastic to push the pin through.  Also, pay attention to the manual: it contains disassembly instructions for the "K" series pistols in the manual, preceding the instructions for the "T, P and PM" series.  Be sure you are reading the right section!  After the break in period you will find that breaking it down for cleaning becomes much easier.

I'm very happy with this little gun, and once I get some tritium sights on it, I think it will be just ideal.  Okay, I'll shut up now.  Have fun shooting it!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't want to hijack Collin's thread, but I'm a new "Kahr driver" too, a nice used blue K40 with tritium sights.  I was die-hard 1911 kinda guy and decided to try something new and didn't want plastic (not a slam, just a preference).  I'm very impressed with the overall machine quality, ergonimics and trigger.  Very nice little pistol for discreet carry.  Now waiting for my Alessi Talon Plus.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The trigger really smoothed out during my break-in period.  I used an assortment of Walmart 100 ct. Winchester, Hydra-shoks, gold dots, and starfire.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The guy that sold me my P40 told me how much I'd love it. My first day at the range with it, I wanted to go looking for him and kick his azz. Right now, I don't think I have anything in the safe I'd rather carry.

I LOVE my Kahr, and would not hesitate to buy a second. Yep those small puppies bite, but they sure do shoot nice after a BUNCH of rounds through the pipe.

Just wanted to add, the 40 has worked with every type of ammo I put in the magazines. I imagine your 9 will be just as nice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
got a Kahr K9 here, very nice shooting pistol. i like it over the MK9's

btw the K9/P9 mags perfectly fit in a Gerber Mutltitool belt pouch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
P9 covert here. Carry it every day. Nothing conceals better.
Robert
soon to be NCcop
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top