Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 9:24:37 PM EDT
All I can say is that this is one bad ass gun. I used to carry a NAA .32 auto. Never again. I think Ill be carrying this gun for the rest of my life. It is every bit as accurate as a glock 9mm, and so small and light, it fits in my pocket almost as easily as my NAA did. I help a very impressive group at 25 yards. Everybody said go with an airweight Smith. Well, this is smaller, lighter, holds more rounds, and has a more powerful round than a 38. I only put about 60 rounds through it so far, but Im going back to the range Monday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
bruh44,

How would you rate the PM9's controllability? I've heard that the poly Kahrs have a lot of muzzle flip.

I'm considering one but have never had the chance to shoot one since they're never available for rent (as opposed to the mini-GLocks which seem to be everywhere)

-Dave
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think the muzzle flip is too bad. A bit more than a glock 26. I haven't tried +P rounds yet though. Were in NC are you? Im in Asheville, your welcome to try mine if your in the area.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Yes, +P rounds will be the test as that's what most people would bank on out of a 3" bbl.  Still, this is an ultra-concealable pistol and I can't hope that it would shoot like a 1911...think I might keep my ear to the ground for a good deal.

And thanks for the very kind offer to shoot your Kahr.  Unfortunatley, I live over 5 hours away :(

-Dave
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm going back to the range tomorrow. And I'm gonna go through my +P box of golden sabers. I'll keep you updated on how it handles.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Shot off a box of +P the other day. Went pretty smooth. The recoil is a bit more, but I didn't think it was all that bad. It was handleable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Dear All,

I recently purchased a PM9 as a concealed carry piece.  I had a P9 and wanted more of the same.  Just smaller and lighter.  

I found the PM9 to be very easy to control.  Quick follow up shots were a piece of cake, even with Corbon's hot +P 115 gr defensive load.  It really doesn't recoil bad at all.  Certainly less than a Glock 27 or even a 23.  It is tiny, yet I don't feel I could ever be outgunned.  With a spare mag in my weak hand pocket, I'm good to go against anyone, at least from an equipment perspective.

All was blissful, until a small, light black fly fell into the ointment.  

That fly was a Smith and Wesson 340 PD revolver.  I won the 340 PD in a raffle at the IDPA Winter Nationals last year.   It is one of the Airlite SC guns.  In a nutshell, the Smith is a 5 shot .357 magnum revolver that weighs 10.5 oz.  (vs 15.9 for the Kahr with an empty mag)  

Also, despite being techincally larger than the Kahr, it is much easier to conceal. (lighter, irregular shape, and much narrower through most of the frame.) It rides nicely in a pants pocket.  Because the barrel is about 1/2 the width of the Kahr's slide, it doesn't print nearly as bad.  Plus, the irregular shape, with the cylinder doesn't scream GUN if it does print.  

Overall the 340 tops the Kahr in conceilability.

Down side to the 340 is:
1) requires practice to shoot well.  The Kahr is easy to shoot well.  Its very unintimidating.  The 340 jumps around a lot.  It is more intimidating than a 6" .44 magnum.  It kicks, and it kicks hard.  It is NOT a gun for the occasional shooter.

2) Accuracy.  The Kahr is accurate enough to be used offensively.  I can easily hit steel plates out at 25 yards with the Kahr.  Not even close with the little Smith.  

3) Capacity.  The little smith only holds 5 rounds and takes time to reload.  You're shots better count.  The Kahr holds more and has a fast reload like any auto.

So, in the end, which is better?  It depends on what your priorities are.  

Strangely, my 340 has replaced my P32 as my pocket gun.  The Kahr was never a pocket gun, that was handled by my P32.  So now if I'm going out and I just want to put a small,light gun in my pocket, I carry the 340.

If I'm going into a higher threat area, or am dressed to wear a holster, I carry the Kahr.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Don

Unfortunately though, the PM9 is still not pocketable for most people.  If you want to carry in a pocket, don't throw away the P32 just yet.

Link Posted: 9/17/2003 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#7]
dnmdcm I've been using my PM9 as a pocket gun for about a month and a half now. I find it easily consealable in my pocket, and easy to get out. The j-frame pocket holsters work best for it I have found. And although I have not actually weighed my gun, the specs on the Kahr web page says the gun weighs 14oz unloaded. Of course its all personal prefference, but I have tried the J-frame Smiths, I just preffer the PM9.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All I can say is that this is one bad ass gun. I used to carry a NAA .32 auto. Never again. I think Ill be carrying this gun for the rest of my life. It is every bit as accurate as a glock 9mm, and so small and light, it fits in my pocket almost as easily as my NAA did. I help a very impressive group at 25 yards. Everybody said go with an airweight Smith. Well, this is smaller, lighter, holds more rounds, and has a more powerful round than a 38. I only put about 60 rounds through it so far, but Im going back to the range Monday.

bruh44:
I just received my PM9 on Tuesday, and took it to the range on Wednesday. I put about 175 rounds of 9mm hardball through it, & before I ran out of daylight I finished up with about 30 rounds of Federal 9BPLE +P+ 115 gr. JHPs. Like you, I found the recoil to be sharp, but no more so than my Glock 27 with Speer 180 gr. Gold Dots.

Question: How was functioning with your gun, out of the box? I had quite a few FTFs, usually with the slide not quite going completely into battery. Most of them were resolved with a light tap to the rear of the slide. By the time I finished, they were much less frequent, so the Kahr owner's manual recommendation of firing at least 200 rounds before counting on the gun for self-defense seems to be about right. When I got home to clean the gun, I rubbed the slide rails to remove some rough spots & small "hanging chads" from the mold.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Kahr's controllability, & especially with the concealability. My old MK9 got rather heavy by the end of the day in the ankle holster. I think the PM9 will be the answer to that problem.....

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
My PM9 did stick abit before I got it broken in, but only when I was messing with it before firing. The slide was a little ruff, and I could not load a round dirrectly into the chamber. The extactor would hit the back of the round, and not let the slide forward. I've now put around 400-500 rounds through it, and it doesn't do any of that now. No more ruffnes, or feeding dirrectly into the chamber problems. The only thing that I have a problem with now is that the gun is a little picky about ammo. It won't feed S+B hollow points, or flat headed rounds. Thats not that big of a deal to me though. It took all the Winchester, FMJ S+B, and Golden Saber I've given it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#10]
bruh44:

Thanks for the info. I hope to put some more rounds through the gun this weekend. Hopefully the additional work will solve the problem....

I think it's going to be a terrific backup/concealed carry piece. I wore it all day yesterday in an ankle holster, & hardly noticed it. Much more comfortable than the MK9.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had my PM9 for a little over a year now. As far as size, I love it. It is very easy to conceal and confortable to cary in my Galco IWB holster.

But mine has never shot very good. I can only shoot paper plate size groups at 15 yds. While I have not had a problem shooting fist size groups with other people's PM9's that I have tried. I had a lot of problems with it feeding in the first 500 rounds. That has gotten better and I have not had a problem with it feeding since then.

Now the front part of my frame is cracking from one side to the other. It is only visible if you strip the gun down. I have sent several emails to them and even tried to call with no response yet. I suppose that I may have just gotten a bad one. But I don't think I would ever give them a chance again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Hay guys, mines about 7 months old and has went 1100 rnds flawlessly.  And this has been with all types of ammo defense and target.  Even lead rnd nose target stuff.  It's bee perfect so far.
 Something you guys might like to try is the Perice mag extensions for the 6rnd mag.  It dosn't extend the mag or capicity it just provides a finger ledge off the front of the grip for your lil pinky finger to grab hold of.  the back of the mag is about even with the standard metal base plate.  It's very much like the mag extension on the Sig 239 mags.
 But this mag extension dosn't extend the back of the mag so it dosn't change the printing on a shirt when carring IWB under a shirt.  Yet you get a great grip on the lil PM9 monster.  No tucking the lil pinky finger under the grip with these extensions.
 Kahr sells them on their web page and their 15bucks +shipping for a pack of 2.  If your getting a failure to go to battery with the 125gr ammo try these, You could be slightly limp wristing cause of the small 2 finger hold of the grip.
 Also from what I've seen and read stay with the 115 gr or 125 gr bullets.  It seems the longer length of the 147gr bullets has caused some failures to lock up when feeding.  So just be advised should you decide to go that route.
 I've carried mine all summer in a High noon IWB holster with the tail peice.  It carries the easiest of any pistol I've ever carried in 29 yrs of carrying concelled.
 As soon as cooler weather cloths come out the 1911 Colt LGTWGT Commander will go back on the hip, but for shorts and Tshirt weather, the lil PM9 Kahr is a champion....
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have had my PM9 for a couple of weeks and finally took it to the range for break in.  Overall I was very impressed with its controllability, it shoots very well.  It did have a few FTF and would not chamber completely with a full magazine, but slapping the back of the slide would complete chambering.  Group size was around 5-6 inches at 20 yards if I took my time.  It is a really tight little pistol and needs the break in time recommended in the manual.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top