Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 8:00:03 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this. I see it's offered on several models and I'm thinking of getting a PM9 with it. Does it hold up against wear and corrosion well?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:09:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I hope this helps...

An excerpt from Police Magazine 9/2005

Paint It Black
   A couple of years back Kahr decided to discontinue carbon steel guns and manufacture all slides and steel frames from stainless steel. Most consumers liked the corrosion resistance of stainless.
   However, Kahr quickly discovered that not all consumers wanted bright and shiny guns. In dim light, the glint of a stainless slide being withdrawn by an undercover operative could lead to fatal complications.
   To solve this problem and darken the stainless slide, Kahr flirted briefly with baked-on Teflon used by many manufacturers but found the results less than satisfactory. The economy of the finish was appealing to Kahr, but is soon discovered that the cosmetics were short-lived. Kahr tried another process that required substantial heat. This actually changed the metal's molecular structure and made it more brittle. Finally, Kahr developed its proprietary Tungsten Diamond-Like-Coating (Tungsten DLC), which uses a process called Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapor Deposition to coat the parts.
   Tungsten DLC is applied in a vacuum chamber where cathodes transform the tungsten into a gas that plates the parts. The process increases the surface hardness to a whopping 90 on the Rockwell C scale. Just for comparison, your average 1911 frame will register about 28 to 30 on the same scale.
   One of the best selling points of the Diamond-Like Coating in that the parts are never heated over 300 degrees Fahrenheit, so there's no need to worry about the parts losing their temper, softening, or becoming brittle. Also, only about two microns of the material is deposited on the slide. In case you're wondering, that amounts to about 80 millionths of an inch-far too little to affect the parts' function or fit.
   Kahr's Tungsten DLC thoroughly impresses me. Not only does it perform its intended task of coloring the bright stainless steel to a matte, non-reflective black, it also provides a tough, corrosion-proof covering that is virtually scratch proof. And it will not wear even when subjected to extensive holster carry. For a gun that will be used exclusively for concealed carry, the Tungsten DLC finish makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I read that on their site. I was just wondering if anyone can verify that it works as advertised.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it's black. I haven't managed to scratch it, yet. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Sam
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, it's black. I haven't managed to scratch it, yet. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Sam

Same here.  No scratches yet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I can confirm its blackness. Haven't scratched it yet either. I do know that it's also more corrosion resistant than the sights. My PM9 sights developed some rust after carrying IWB next to skin. The DLC covered slide wasn't effected at all. BSW
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool, that is what I needed. Mine should be here in a week or two. Kahr's Dealer employee purchase program rocks.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top