Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 4/22/2020 6:32:39 PM EDT
I have been bored out of my mind during our mandatory shelter in place order. I have reloaded more ammo than I will shoot in my lifetime and needed something else to keep me busy. I recently traded into another CW45 (number three for me) and thought that it needed a new holster. I have made many holsters the past, but I had to give it up due to arthritis in my hands. I sew these by hand as I do not own a machine. What used to take me two days to do now takes two weeks and another two weeks to get over it... I am a bit rusty, but I think that it turned out pretty well...

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That is beautiful!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Outstanding work OP.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks amazing!  “By hand” you say?  Wow, just wow!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The workmanship is excellent but as master holster designer Red Nichols says, "Anyone can run a stitch, but the great holsters display good design".
That's a very good design.

One factor of good design that many otherwise good craftsmen fail,  is that you can get a full shooting grip on the gun before starting it out of the holster.
To many designs have leather up between the trigger guard and the grip, preventing the fingers from getting around the grip.  This means you have to juggle the gun in mid-draw to get a shooting grip.

You don't have to have a stitching machine to do good work.  The old masters often did it entirely by hand.
Here's some of my hand made and stitched holsters........

Old school FBI.  made it just for fun.....

Cross draw for a S&W Model 66, 2 1/2 inch......

Cross draw for a Kahr Arms K9.  Reversed seam with a "half and half" seam design.  

"Snatch" shoulder holster for a S&W Model 66, 2 1/2 inch.  The retaining strap is NOT a thumb break.  It's a pull through snap.  Just grab the gun and pull, the heavy duty snap opens.  
This is my variation on the old Stein Holster Company of New York City "Snatch" holster.

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
The workmanship is excellent but as master holster designer Red Nichols says, "Anyone can run a stitch, but the great holsters display good design".

That's a very good design.

One factor of good design that many otherwise good craftsmen fail,  is that you can get a full shooting grip on the gun before starting it out of the holster.

To many designs have leather up between the trigger guard and the grip, preventing the fingers from getting around the grip.  This means you have to juggle the gun in mid-draw to get a shooting grip.

View Quote

You are 100% correct on the design issue. I have seen too many holsters that look great, but have no functionality. If you cannot get a full grip purchase on the weapon before being drawn, you have already lost the battle... And that negates the whole purpose for carrying a pistol for personal protection.

dfariswheel - you have created some really nice holsters for your pistols. I really like your S&W "Snatch" holster. Many years ago, I made a couple of J Frame ankle holsters using the directional pull through snaps and I really like the way they worked. i still have one that I use for my back up gun.

Today, most people want as cheap of holster as they can find - just like shoes. For me, I want the best that I can afford (or build). If I am going to carry a pistol all day, I want my holster to be comfortable and last a life time. same goes for my work boots. I still wear a leather belt that I made 46 years ago...

Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top