Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 11/18/2019 1:41:51 PM EDT
Hello!
I just picked up a used black k9. I called Kahr to find out some info on it. They said it was made back in 1996. I bought it for $300 since the last one I had was way more. I was wondering if the barrel had been cerakoted or If the earlier model ones were also black on the outside of the breach? The actual frame and slide do not look like it has been cerakoted. All the pictures I’ve seen of the black k9s show a stainless barrel/breach. Not sure how to post pictures on here.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:19:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#1]
Back then Kahr wasn't using Cerakote as far as I know.
Cerakote was started in 1984, and it was only in fairly recent years that it was commonly used for firearms applications.
I "think" (note the qualifier) that Kahr only began using Cerakote when they started offering colored pistols, which is a fairly recent development for them.

Back in the 90's Kahr steel was chemically blackened.

I "think" (again note the qualifier) that the barrels were in the white, not blackened.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess I’m trying to figure out if it’s the factory finish or if it was cerakoted by the previous owner. All the new black K9s Ive seen have had a stainless barrel. This one is blackened.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
https://imgur.com/gallery/Ve4w4Xd
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a black K9 I bought in 1997. The barrel is not coated.

As previously posted, the finish is a chemical blackening and it is not corrosion resistant at all.

I couldn't get your link to work, but if the barrel is coated, I would guess it was done by a previous owner.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top