Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2005 11:50:18 AM EDT
I'd love a single stack glock 9 or 40...but seems it is not in the works anytime soon.  I'd love a handgun sized like the PM9, but wish to keep a similar trigger to my Glock that I train with MUCH more often than my off duty gun.

Anyone with experience with both Kahr and Glock give me their opinion/comparsion of the trigger pulls (length of travel, weight, overall feel).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to own a K40 so please bear with me as I'm going from memory.

The Kahr trigger has more travel and is very smooth, smoother than Glcok.  IMHO I can feel my Glocks trigger's resistance change as the trigger travels through it's range, I don't recall feeling that with the Kahr.  Kahr makes a real nice pistol.  Mine was very accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The best description of the Kahr trigger is that it feels like a well-tuned S&W revolve trigger.
Longer than a Glock, very smooth with no "stacking", stops or catches, or hesitation.

I tell people to shoot the Kahr trigger like they would a good revolver.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Odd as this may sound, the Kahr triger is so smooth it takes some getting used to. It is much lighter and smoother than my Glock. The Kahr also fits my hand better. It is funny, if I start out shooting my Glock it feels fine but if I switch to any of my other guns, (Colt 1911, CZ75B, Sig 226 of Kahr P9) the Glock feels like a block of wood.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:09:20 AM EDT
[#4]
My K9 trigger is so smooth it's scary. It is the ONLY handgun I own that has not had a trigger job to smooth the action.
My old 17L Glock on the other hand has had the trigger replaced twice; once to the "new york" trigger and once to go back to the original with some spring changes.
IMHO, Kahr has the finest double action trigger extant and there are a few 'smiths that can make it even smoother.
You can't beat it for a concealed carry or plainclothes duty gun.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey good choice,

I have a duty gun that is a Glock model 22  with a NY trigger.  It is ok.  I have a backup/offduty Kahr MK40. I had a hard time picking that over the baby glock.   ....but I did.  The trigger is long and perfectly smooth, wish the glock was that good.  and the MK is thinner more easily concealed.  If I had it to do over again i'd get the polymer version because the Kahrs are heavy for their size.  If I had a full size kahr with 9 rounds in a single stack for work i'd be happy to turn in my glock.

I did have one problem with mine though...As any gun you get for protection you need to shoot it to make sure it will work.  I put a few hundred rounds of hot remingtion loads through it and it would lock open while still loaded sometimes.  I sent it back to kahr, they relieved the mag catch that was out of spec and upgraded the recoil spring and rod that they were currently upgrading in their line.  I had it back in a week and a letter of apology.  I HAVE NEVER HAD A JAM IN IT SINCE...about 500 more rounds, it is a backup gun I don't shoot it as much as the duty.  

good luck
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Great reviews, guys.  Thanks!

I've been carrying a Glock 23 off duty, but it is abit chunky IWB.  Looks like a PM9 when I get my uniform/gun allowance check from the dept!

Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried a Kahr and Glock trigger side-by-side last week

The reset on the Kahr was LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOONGGGGGGGG

Glock was very short....much like a 1911.

(As far as I'm concerned, trigger reset is the most important thing)

DISCLOSURE: I don't own a Glock or a Kahr. I was considering a Kahr....still am...i like the way it feels in my hand
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
That's why the Kahr trigger is so good.
Unlike the Glock, you can carry the Kahr in close body contact without fear of an AD.

Due to the long-stroke trigger, the Kahr is as safe as a DA revolver.  About the ONLY way to get it to fire is to deliberately pull the trigger.

I don't recommend carrying the Kahr or any pistol in a pocket without a holster, or in a holster-less fanny pack, but like a revolver, the Kahr is fairly safe from an AD due to the revolver-like trigger.

The Kahr trigger is one of those things you either like or hate.

The Glock, like most other modern autos started off as a Service pistol.  The short stroke triggers are great, but there is the danger of an AD, almost always caused by carelessness or an improper or no holster.

The Kahr was designed from the get-go as a small, close carry "people shooter" in which the pin-point accuracy allowed by a short trigger isn't needed or particularly desirable.

In short, the Kahr is a "pull-point-shoot" personal defense gun, not a Service pistol or target pistol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Kahr trigger is very smooth for an automatic.  Also breaks nice and cleanly.  Glock triggers seem to work, but they're horrible as far as handgun triggers.  Lots of stack and sponginess.  Feels like the workmanship in a plastic cap gun.

The only thing I don't like on the Kahr is the long reset as mentioned.   You have to let the trigger travel all the way back forward to reset.  I have had it not reset under rapid fire at the range because I don't let it go all the way forward.  It's something you want to practice a lot especially if you're coming from a Glock or DA/SA.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That's why the Kahr trigger is so good.
Unlike the Glock, you can carry the Kahr in close body contact without fear of an AD.

Due to the long-stroke trigger, the Kahr is as safe as a DA revolver.  About the ONLY way to get it to fire is to deliberately pull the trigger.

I don't recommend carrying the Kahr or any pistol in a pocket without a holster, or in a holster-less fanny pack, but like a revolver, the Kahr is fairly safe from an AD due to the revolver-like trigger.

The Kahr trigger is one of those things you either like or hate.

The Glock, like most other modern autos started off as a Service pistol.  The short stroke triggers are great, but there is the danger of an AD, almost always caused by carelessness or an improper or no holster.

The Kahr was designed from the get-go as a small, close carry "people shooter" in which the pin-point accuracy allowed by a short trigger isn't needed or particularly desirable.

In short, the Kahr is a "pull-point-shoot" personal defense gun, not a Service pistol or target pistol.

I'm really talking about the reset, not the first shot trigger travel.

I can't imagine I could accidentially pull a Glock trigger through the whole range and cause an AD/ND.

Every shot on the Kahr is like the first shot with that long reset.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The way I feel about it is if you can't handle a Glock safely, you probably shouldn't be handling any guns.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The way I feel about it is if you can't handle a Glock safely, you probably shouldn't be handling any guns.

I tend to agree with that, but I still prefer a "regular" safety. It might not make the weapon any safer, but it's a psychological thing.

My only point was about the Kahr reset.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The trigger reset is not really that bad once you get a few hundred rounds of practice.

Another issue I forgot to mention is that the little Kahrs don't seem to like being sling shot slide released.  If you don't let the slide go immediately as soon as it goes fully rearward, the bullet will nose dive on the feed ramp when you let go of the slide and hold the slide open.  If you push the slide it will overcome the hang up and snap shut and chamber the round.  If you use the slide stop to release the slide instead of sling shotting the slide, this won't happen.    
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top