Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Posted: 11/30/2018 6:01:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDEL]
Got a new CW 380. Nervous as hell of course. Gun shop only had fiocchi and rem ammo, so I bought 200 rounds of fiocchi and one box of hollow point remingtons.

Took it home, dry fired 100 times or so w/full rack of the slide each time. Cleaned and oiled and went out in the dark and shot it under the glow of headlights

First couple mags weren't good, several FTF and such, but the more I shot it the less troubles. By the end of the first 100 it was running well. Took it out today and ran another box of 50 thru it with zero issues, then ran most of the box of rems thru it because until I order in some Hornady, that's all I've got for carry ammo. I consider it at 100%, ready to carry as it digests everything perfectly.

I've never had a gun that required break in. maybe my 3" colt defender 1911 but honestly it ran trouble free, it was more of a "test" because 3" 1911's can be a bitch. On the Kahr though clearly you can see the shiny spots all over the barrel hood and sides etc where it rubbed itself smooth. I'm sure plenty more of that exists where i can't see it. So I guess I am buying into the whole " they are tight and need break in" thing. mine started to function perfect prior to 100 rounds. But people that shoot 500 rounds thru it praying as many do is nuts. That's way beyond break in and a waste, sometimes you've got to know when to save the ammo and have it worked on.

For the record, the fiocchi did have a thicker rim, but my pistol wasn't fazed by it.

Super happy with it. I guess I'm just writing this because you CAN get a good Kahr 380, even though so many have issues, but we never hear as much from all the happy owners

Link Posted: 11/30/2018 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Have no personal experience with the 380 models.

Have a ton of experience with several C series Kahrs in 9mm and 45, in various frame sizes. All of them have run completely reliably after initial shooting/breakin. I fully expect any and and all semiauto pistols to run better after 100-200 rounds, REGARDLESS OF BRAND. Some guns benefit from it, some it is not an issue. Most, but not all SA pistols can/will exhibit a preference for certain ammo. It is incumbent on the shooter to fully test a SA pistol to determine which ammo shoots most accurately and reliably in that particular gun, before assigning it to self defense duties.

Kahr recommends a 200 round break in period for their guns. I'm totally ok with that as I will usually shoot at least 500 rounds through a new gun before being comfortable with it as a carry gun. Is that overkill? Maybe. It's a routine I got into a long time ago, and have just kept on doing it. Plus, in the case of a less than traditional (but by design) trigger pull like the Kahr has, it makes the muscle memory training for said trigger a lot easier.

I own a variety of pistols and revolvers. I shoot them all as often as possible. My Kahrs see probably 75% of EDC duty compared to my other guns, mostly due to small size, simplicity of function, and the fact that I like them a lot. Won't fret if one of them ends up in an evidence locker for a year or two either.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to Kahrtalk.com.

They cover this issue quite well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Kahrtalk.com.

They cover this issue quite well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the new pet!  They are rather handy little guns.  Mine likes 88gr Remington HTP, about to test it with 90gr Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a CW9 as my EDC and really like it.  Always been reliable and shoots really well for a sub compact.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
My MK 9has been trouble free .

All stainless so a tad heavy
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top