Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2018 8:49:31 PM EDT
My Dad described this to me and I flat out didn't believe it. Then I got it in my own hands. Normal (long) takeup, then instead of releasing the striker, it made me squeeze the crap out of it before going Click.

I stripped it down and looked at it. There was some wear on the side of the trigger bar that sticks up out of the grip and acts like a disconnector. Other than a little carbon inside the striker channel, there was no grit, debri or anything out of place.

Without the slide on, the trigger and trigger bar / disconenctor / sear worked perfectly. Put it back together and no bueno. Same impossible trigger pull. I then stripped the slide down - pulled the striker assembly, striker block, extractor, spring & detent. There was nothing amiss there either.

I play with it while the slide is in various states of re-assembly. No barrel or spring, just holding it in place on the frame Now it seems to work in a more normal manner. I get it put together again, and suddenly it's acting like it should. Pull... pull... pull... pulll... click. No more 20+ pounds of pressure needed to get it over that last little bit of travel.

Any ideas what was wrong? I'm stumped. All I did was strip it down a few times, curse mildly as I realized I was missing a pin or spring once or twice, and reassemble it a few times. There is no logical reason why it was malfunctioning or why it is now working properly, and that bugs me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag as I'm picking my CW9 up Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I am gonna go out on a limb and say there was some sort of debris in the mechanism that you unknowingly removed/cleared via the tear downs and reassemblies. As it seems that the problem is no more, I would say load, shoot, repeat...often. Long time Kahr fan. They have been trouble free for me for many years. Currently own a CM9 and a CW 45. Carry one or both almost every day.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:35:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amish_Bill] [#3]
I ran into a similar problem recently with an M&P9. I thought it was a related problem with grit & crud working it's way into the safety plunger in the slide. It was nowhere near as bad as this CW9 was, but it was still really annoying.

Close - same effect but wrong reason. Somehow in a previous cleaning the plunger spring had been bent over. The binding was the plunger having to compress the spring sideways instead of lengthwise.

Lacking a new spring, I was able to straighten it out a little and put it back in upside down so the bent portion is kept straight by the hole in the plunger.

Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
I am gonna go out on a limb and say there was some sort of debris in the mechanism that you unknowingly removed/cleared via the tear downs and reassemblies....
View Quote

Yup - 100% accurate.
ps - Kahr is still running smoothly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure the trigger spacer didn't move. You should be able to see the flat side when you look at it
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top